3 of 5 people found the following review helpful
It's like New Super Mario Bros. on crack,
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Video Game)
I've had this game a few weeks and have finished the core game, and have collected a million+ coins (I'm up to 1, 300,000) and I am still playing this game.
When I heard another NSMB game was being released, I wasn't too excited to be honest. But this one is different, I have to say the coin rush mode is the most addictive and fun part of the game. And it's totally fun and nerve-wracking to get a challenge in streetpass, and try to beat someone's score.
Here's some observations about the game.
1. O.K. the prize for collecting a million coins is kind of a let down, but I never really expected it to be spectacular.
2. The graphics are a subtle improvement on past Mario games, and the physics of how Mario moves are the best of any platformer I've ever played.
3. The worlds are similar to what's been done before, the game seems to takes elements from all Super Mario games that came before but all the levels are fun and each have their own charm. The "cannon" levels are completely new and are the most difficult SMB levels I have ever played.
4. The levels aren't too long or too short, and perfect for handheld gaming, and travelling, waiting at the doctor's office, etc...
5. There is no real 3D element to the game except for the last levels.
6. Some of the secret levels and coins are incredibly difficult to find. It will take a while to find all the hidden stuff in the game.
7. The real challenge is not staying alive, but collecting massive amounts of coins. The challenge beating your record and trying to squeeze every coin out of every level. You will probably finish the game with 1000+ lives.
8. Good replay value and challenging multiplayer mode, trying to beat one's own or a friend's record is the funnest part of the game.
So, if you have enjoyed previous Mario games, and are on the fence, this game will be a welcome addition. AND if you you have a 3DS and have somehow managed to not play a Super Mario game this is a great starting point.