Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Keyboard for multiple OSX/iOS devices, July 14, 2012
This review is from: Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K760 for Mac/iPad/iPhone (Personal Computers)
Let me start by saying that I've used the apple bluetooth keyboard for about three years now, and after much thought, I decided to give this keyboard a shot. The reason for the switch was due to a few annoyances with the Apple bluetooth keyboard. I was considering buying the Logitech K750, but when I heard that a newer model was coming out with some new features I decided to wait for it. Now that I've used it I'm definitely glad I waited. I'll try to break down in detail some of the best features of the keyboard that I find most appealing.

Easy Switching - In a nutshell, you can pair this keyboard to up to three devices at once, and switch between them with the click of a button. I only tested this with my Mac and my iPhone, but it was worked flawlessly so far. There's a bluetooth button on the back of the keyboard that will let you choose which key you want to pair your device with, and once it's paired you can go from typing on a computer to typing on your iPhone in about 7-8 seconds. With the Apple bluetooth keyboard it was a hassle switching between devices since you had to disconnect/reconnect each device if you wanted to switch. I don't really have a reason to use a keyboard with my iPhone and I assume it would be much better with an iPad, but it is pretty neat having the ability to type on it if i wanted.

Design - I was a bit skeptical about switching from Apple hardware to Logitech hardware. Let's be honest, Apple makes very good looking products. The thing that i was most worried about was the fact that this keyboard was plastic. I liked the feel of the aluminum with the Apple keyboard, but after using this keyboard for about a week, I have to say that I don't notice ANY difference in quality. This keyboard is built extremely well and feels very solid as you type. I find the keys to be a bit deeper than on the Apple keyboard, which I really like. The layout is identical to the Apple keyboard, except for a few buttons up top. There is now a mission control and launchpad button, as well as the three bluetooth buttons. Also, the screen brightness is moved to the F6 and F7 keys that were previously black on the Apple keyboard (they are used for the backlit keyboard brightness on most mac laptops).

Solar Charging - I've only used this keyboard for 5-6 days so far, but ever since it was taken out of the packaging and paired up to the Logitech Control Center Software, the charge hasn't dropped below 100%. If you're thinking this keyboard requires direct sunlight to efficiently charge then you're wrong. A small desk lamp or a slightly lit room is enough to keep it charged. My keyboard sits about 15 feet away from a window with closed curtains and it still manages to keep a charge. I would even imagine the backlight from a bright computer/tv screen might even charge the keyboard in a completely dark room. It seems this will solve the battery problem with the Apple keyboard, which was going though about 3 AA batteries a month.

Now for a few negatives about this keyboard. Most of them are small nitpicks, that might not be a problem for most people but they still manage to annoy me.

The first problem that I noticed was that the caps lock light doesn't stay lit when you click it. When you turn caps lock on it will light up for 2 seconds and then turn back off. I've often found myself typing out a sentence or two before realizing it was on the whole time. (I should probably look up more when I type I guess lol).

There is a few workarounds to this problem though. The Logitech Control Center Software has two options for caps lock. You can either have a small icon come up in the menu bar when the caps lock is on, or you can have notifications pop up on the screen, similar to the ones that would come up when you change the volume. I never really look up into the menu bar unless I'm checking the time, and I really don't like the pop up notifications either, so I turned them both off, but I do appreciate the options. I don't know how much the light would drain the battery if it were to stay on, and I assume that's why logitech didn't want it staying on, but oh well. I'll deal with it.

The other problems I noticed was that the mission control and launchpad buttons didn't work out of the box. I was able to add a keyboard shortcut for the mission control key, but I can't pair anything to the launchpad key at all. I looked up the problem on logitech's website, and I still haven't found a solution that worked.

The last thing that annoys me about this keyboard is that there's no previous/next keys. On the Apple keyboard they are on opposite sides of the play/pause button, but on this keyboard they aren't there. I usually listen to music when I type papers and I've grown used to changing songs with those keys. The play/pause button is there, but unfortunately the previous/next keys aren't.

Those are a few minor nitpicks about the keyboard. Nothing too serious, and nothing that would deter me from using it. The pros definitely outweigh the cons.

If you're looking for a keyboard that you would use for a Mac or possibly an iPad then you should definitely consider this keyboard. It offers the most bang for your buck, and is essentially an Apple bluetooth keyboard with more features. I know that people are attracted to the Apple keyboard because of its nice design, but this keyboard is just as beautiful, and I couldn't be happier with it. A very wise buy for sure.

As of January 23rd, 2013, the power in the keyboard has still never dipped below 99%, and I still only have a small lamp and the light from my computer as a light source.

I have also purchased an iPad and an iPad mini, and I find myself switching between these devices quite often. This is where the keyboard really shines since it is super easy to pair and switch between devices. Within 3 seconds the keyboard is paired with the iPad and is ready to type, and with the click of one button, the keyboard can be easily switched back to my Mac.

Overall I am still very happy with my purchase, and still believe that this is the best bluetooth keyboard you can buy, especially if you ever plan on pairing it to multiple devices.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 13, 2012 3:05:56 AM PDT
This application will help with your keyboard commands:

I'm not entirely sure if you can use this app and ALSO use the F-keys in the way they were meant to be used, i.e: use the first three as BT keys and the rest as F-keys, it may be one or the other.
If you want this app PM me and I'll send it over (it's abandonware at this point). I've been using this since 10.1 and I've never had a prob. It only runs in 32 bit mode, but I've never seen a difference.

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 11:20:33 AM PDT
D. Reilly says:
I found your comments very helpful. I saw the lack of a hot key for the dashboard as a major drawback. However, after I doing some discovery, I found that going to System Preferences>Mission Control I could map the F5 key (which is the home key for iOS) to the dashboard. Instead of hitting one key I have to hold down the Fn key and hit it, but it is still convenient. I believe the dashboard key was F4 on my Apple keyboard, so it is very close.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 12:03:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2013 12:51:41 PM PST
Try this utility:

Works wonders on my iMac with the K760 keyboard. The key labels don't match up, but you'll have your iTunes controls back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 2:42:16 PM PST
I was just going to suggest a key remapping app too.
HotApp does this too (still works great at 32 bit on 10.8), but its very hard to find. The developer abandoned it a couple years ago, so all the download links went as soon as his web page went down.
It can also be used as an application launcher, an action launcher (restart, screen saver, empty trash, etc...), assign any function key to do, whatever...pretty cool.

Posted on Jul 27, 2013 6:14:11 AM PDT
David Mann says:
I started reconfiguring my caps lock key to function as Ctrl a few years ago, and I haven't ever looked back. It makes many of the wrist-bending hotkeys I push so much easier. And who uses caps lock these days anyways? ;)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›