3.0 out of 5 stars Little Annoyances, June 14, 2012
This review is from: Samsung ML-2165W Wireless Monochrome Printer (Office Product)
UPDATE: The original review appears below
I finally got fed up with this Samsung printer and bought the HP 1102w, which is designed similarly to my old HP 1018. I haven't used the HP yet because I had planned to use up the cartridge on the Samsung before I placed it in storage. Yesterday, I was anxious to print the first sixty pages of my latest project and inserted about three eigths inch of HP paper into the Samsung. That was too much for it to handle, for it chewed up the first page and creased approximately two more sheets. Luckily, there wasn't a paper jam. However, that annoyance was enough to convince me to activate the HP and hold onto this Samsung for acetate printing or other stuff that could be a little rough on the favored HP.

ORIGINAL REVIEW
I have mixed feelings about the Samsung ML-2165W black & white/monochrome laser printer. I wanted to replace my almost six-year-old HP 1018, which still functioned, but needed serious cleaning that involved dismantling, something I can no longer do because of arthritis. HP has a model that is practically identical to the 1018, but I wanted something smaller and lighter. The Samsung ML-2165W fit the bill at under nine pounds, so I truly like the weight and size. I also like the fact that unlike the HP compact models, the Samsung's USB jack isn't recessed into a cavity that is difficult to access with arthritic fingers.

After getting the Samsung out of the box, I discovered that it also has its drawbacks, and I probably would have been better off with an HP compact model, for I have encountered very annoying design problems with the Samsung. Two items on the Samsung were designed backwards.

The first design flaw is with the cartridge. You remove normal laser cartridges by slipping your fingers under a handhold or groove and pulling up, usually at an angle - that works well when you're working against gravity. The Samsung cartridge's groove is on top and you cannot slip your fingers under anything to pull up at the correct angle. The cartridge is preinstalled, and you're advised to remove it, shake it, and reinstall it. I grabbed it as best I could, but each time I pulled, the entire printer lifted off the desk and the cartridge didn't budge. Luckily, I have a set of miniature crowbars, and I used them to dislodge and refit the cartridge at the proper angle.

The second design flaw is the width-graduating lever for the paper tray. That too is backwards, and it wasn't easy for me to adjust the width to the 8 ˝ inch setting, which is as far as it should go, but fails to expand to that full size. To increase the width to the maximum setting, you need to squeeze a clip between your thumb and index finger and glide the clip all the way to the right. The problem is that the release lever is on the right, instead of on the left, where it would make the most sense and would permit you to flush the clip against the printer's frame to get the full 8 ˝" width and hopefully allow for some play. The location of the lever prevents that from happening because your finger will end up pinned between the lever and the printer's frame. A pair of needle nose pliers may remedy that, but I don't know where mine are. The end result is that 8 ˝" X 11" paper fits so snugly within the tray that it's hard to accommodate more than a few sheets at a time due to the lack of play.

Other annoying little things: The printer is only about a week old, and I already notice that the top page can end up smudged while it sits on the feed tray under the pick-up roller. That's an indication that something may not be quite right with the cartridge or other mechanism(s). Secondly, compared to the HP 1018, the Samsung is whiney noisy. I hope I get used to it.

SUMMARY
The attributes: It's light; it's small; prints well, but not great because the grayscale isn't up to par; has easy plug USB and power jacks; it's also wireless; driver Windows and Mac updates are easy to acquire; it arrived within twenty-four hours and cost me only $87.09 after a $50 instant rebate at Staples. You can't get an HP for that price, but an HP LaserJet printer functions nicely.

Negatives: Has two annoying "backward" designs, making it difficult to remove/install the cartridge and paper; it doesn't have a separate feeder tray for envelopes and postcards; grayscale print is disappointing; and it whines.

[Add comment]