5.0 out of 5 stars A Mini-Masterpiece, August 5, 2007
This review is from: That Thing You Do!: Tom Hank's Extended Cut (Two-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)
Last week, I saw "That Thing You Do!" on one of the cable movie channels. I had not seen it for a while and had a couple of hours staring me down, so I sat back and watched it. The film itself is a nice piece of work by Mr. Hanks. He did himself proud. And that song! What a catchy, get-under-your-skin-in-your-brain pop tune!

Then, two days later, I was in Best Buy (humming That Thing You Do, by the way) and this new edition DVD appears before me unexpectedly, on sale. Without thinking, I bought it, took it home and I have watched it three times since (the theatrical release, once and the extended version, twice) and I will watch many times more.

This new release of That Thing You Do! underscores why "The Director's Cut" genre in DVD releases has become so invaluable to film aficionados like myself.

The theatrical version is priceless (still), but the "Director's Cut" is incredible and a major revelation. So many gaps in the plot have been filled in (gaps that I wasn't even aware of, so well put-together was the original version). This newer version has made the film a mini-masterpiece.

As in the original, the cast is excellent, the plot is believable and charming, the performances are funny, vibrant, true-to-life, and in this version, quite poignant.

Charlize Theron's character, Tina, and her relationship with Guy, in particular, suddenly become crucial elements to the early plot development (she is a minor character in the original version). Her character is fleshed-out, and she has one HYSTERICAL scene (in the dentist's chair) that caught me so off-guard with its humour, that I nearly choked to death with laughter!!

Even Tom Hanks character as the group's manager, Mr. White, becomes more developed and there is an interesting scene and dialogue when the group is in Los Angeles at "the same hotel Lucy and Ricky stayed at" between Guy (who is gently drunk), Mr. White and a guy named Lloyd.

Even The Bass Player (the Wonder's bass player who is never given a name), played by the adorable Ethan Embry, has a scene or two not in the original film that adds to the sweetness of his character (as well as some sly sexiness).

Liv Tyler's role as Jimmy's girlfriend, Faye, becomes even more developed and she is such a marvelous actress in this film. She really is the heart and soul of the movie, and the newer version only adds to her wonderful mystique in this film.

And of course, Steve Zahn as Lenny, is still as funny as ever and is the one band member who has no fear to "push the envelope" and ride the roller-coaster of success to wherever it takes them.

I recommend this new version of "That Thing You Do!" whole-heartedly. Whether it is the original or the extended-cut, it is a lively, spirited, upbeat and thoroughly delightful viewing experience.

And, I am STILL humming "That Thing You Do!"

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 14, 2008 12:30:07 AM PDT
Hey Angry Man.... This was a damn good review!

Posted on Nov 17, 2008 6:50:26 AM PST
TSpencer says:
Hey great review! I came in here looking to see if there had been an extended version released because I just happen at the moment to be catching it on Starz (didn't get in from the beginning; about half way through) and realized there are scenes I hadn't noticed before. I am going to have to get this DVD for sure now... And it never dawned on me the bass player was never named!

Posted on Dec 28, 2008 10:09:22 PM PST
I'm watching the extended version now, and while the missing scenes are fascinating for someone who's seen this film at least two dozen times already -- I understand the reason for the original cut.

The theatrical version just pops along, the extended version drags a bit -- but if you're a fan already, you'll love the additions.

Posted on Jul 16, 2009 9:20:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 16, 2009 9:21:13 AM PDT
Gerz says:
I'm certainly a fan of this movie and tend to watch it any time I come across it on cable. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across this director's cut. I was pleasantly viewing the movie I had seen dozens of times before and suddenly there was a scene I didn't remember. What? Huh? I must just not have remembered that for some reason. Then another scene... and another... and another. It was almost like watching a movie I had never seen before. I saw it play out in ways I had never even imagined. I saw the characters develop in ways I never could have suspected. A requirement for fans of the movie and definitely recommended to anyone who wants to see how editing impacts a feature release. Thanks for the great review Mike.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2009 11:37:51 AM PDT
Thank you for your kind words. I recently watched the film again and enjoyed it as much as ever!

Posted on Nov 27, 2009 6:25:46 PM PST
J. Arena says:
There were so many negative comments about the extended version, that I had all but decided not to buy it. However, as a huge fan of this movie, I was pleased to read your excellent comments that illustrate every reason there is to buy it! Now, I absolutely can't wait to get it. Thanks for such a great review!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2009 11:36:40 PM PST
Thank you for your very kind comments. I hope you will enjoy this movie as much as I have and still do!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 3:54:59 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 23, 2012 9:26:07 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 6:38:17 AM PST
hexxuss says:
As someone who has been a huge fan of this movie since it first came out, I bought this without even reading a single review. It's currently on its way here & I decided to read the reviews - stumbled on yours first. I'm even MORE anxious than I was before for it to arrive now!! =D Some lines just stick... "the fair Faye wishes to address us all..." =)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 9:59:44 AM PDT
ReonPremente says:
I love the film, but I'll only buy this if they give us the Director's Cut. I'm tired of getting the cheap releases all of the time. (Disney) Touchstone, Fox... they ALL need to stop ripping us off and give us the REAL releases of these films! The Director's Cut gives so much more information that the other version never does... that's why the other version is such a joke. I mean sure we learn some less than favorable things about their Playtone manager, but the extra stuff that wasn't included in the original film is priceless and makes the film much more enjoyable. PLEASE PLEASE give us BOTH versions with this release!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›