5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful device, January 12, 2011
This review is from: Magellan eXplorist 510 Waterproof Hiking GPS (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to admit that I was not very keen on the idea of having a GPS device while hiking. Having been in the military, I really just want a map and a compass. But I gave in when I learned that you can get great maps for the entire planet in the palm of your hand. I was sick and tired of having to use crappy tourist maps or simply going blind. Now I have the ability to find my way just about anywhere. So, for the maps alone, this device is worth it. But, I actually found myself using many of the other features as well.

First of all, the device is really tough and fits in your hand nicely. I haven't tested the waterproof claim yet, but it seems to be well designed for wet situations.

You can mark way points to chart your return, even taking pictures along the way. Each picture you take has a grid coordinate to make certain you can find it. This is the ultimate trail of bread crumbs.

Another handy tool is the ability to find routes wherever you are. I have found some great hikes that are literally a few miles within my home that I never knew about. Also, you can save tracks that you really enjoyed so you can access them later on.

I really enjoy going off the beaten path when I see something interesting or just want to venture into uncharted territory. With this thingy, I feel confident when I leave the trail that I will be able to navigate my way anywhere.

Finally, the one thing I found to really be annoying is the fact that the compass is not very good at all. If you are moving, it seems to be dead on. But if you stop, look at the compass, then you could get any reading. My understanding is the the 610 and 710 models have a more accurate compass feature, so if that is important for you too, pony up for the 610.

Overall, this is a great device for those traditionalists who cringe at the thought of that much technology on the trail. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

[Add comment]