Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Regular Guy says: "Ingredients are PURE, and the PITS", April 25, 2010
This review is from: Pure Bar Organic Cherry Cashew, Fruit & Nut Bar, 1.7-Ounce Bars (Pack of 12) (Grocery)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Allow me to give you some frame of reference on me: I'm not a vegan or even vegetarian, or sufferer of Celiac Disease. If I fell into either one of those camps, I would instantly raise the rating at least a star. But since I'm not adverse to occasionally ingesting an artificial ingredient or two, I'll give you the straight dope on this very healthy snack bar.

The ingredient list is quite impressive, if only for the fact that someone who doesn't have a chemistry degree can understand it. That in itself is refreshing. They've even got a YES/NO breakdown printed next to the ingredients that goes something like this:

YES!: Certified Organic, Gluten-Free, Full Serving [of] Fruit, Organic Protein, Rich in Omega-3s, Good Source of Fiber, Raw, Vegan

NO!: Refined Sugars, Gluten Dairy or Soy, Cholesterol, Trans Fats, Preservatives, GMOs, Artificial Nothin'

WOW! 5-STARS SO FAR! Let's tear this thing open!

At first glance, it looks just like holiday fruitcake that's been mashed with a rolling pin. Mmmmm... Maybe that's why it doesn't need preservatives and the expiration date is almost a full year in the future. Smells a lot like fruitcake, too. I lost my first test subject (my wife) on looks and smell alone. (Minus 1 star for lack of family appeal -- I don't count the kids' outright rejection.)

The first bite redeemed the bar. It's tastier than I'd anticipated, full flavored and sweet without being powdery or sugary. I think I might like this.

The second bite lost the other star instantly. I felt like I almost broke a tooth on a rather large fruit pit. Guess I should have paid closer attention to the disclaimer on the wrapper that states, "May contain pieces of nuts, shells, stems, or pits." I found a stem in the other half of the bar.

As good as this fruit bar may be for me, I don't think I should have to strain it prior to eating it. I have enjoyed similarly nutritious bars in the past and not one thought of seeking a dentist.

Though the PURE BAR is EVERYTHING they promise (pits and all), I'll probably do some more "research" (read: taste tests) on other healthy snack bars before buying a case. I will, however, recommend this bar to a family member who needs a Gluten-free diet, because it tastes significantly better than most Gluten-free snacks I've sampled.

Just be careful and take small bites.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 9, 2010 11:30:50 PM PDT
Connie says:
"fruitcake" was exactly my reaction to this thing, too. It has a good pedigree but I would never choose to eat one again.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 6:14:14 PM PDT
Capt El says:
Excellent and useful review - thank you.
I would value learning if you have found an acceptable
substitute.
/epb

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 12:58:41 PM PDT
I really wanted a gluten free option to the kind bars I am used to. But I can't afford to pay for dental work that includes a crown. Disclaimer or not, quality assurance should make sure the assembly line workers are paying attention instead of just gabbing all day. (Spoken from a former assembly line worker who did her job).

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 11:43:29 AM PST
toki says:
R.N. Guy. Great review. You should be a comedic writer. Your review was not only very helpful, but entertaining.

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 5:24:39 AM PST
This review was helpful and funny.

Posted on Sep 16, 2014 9:54:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2014 9:57:07 AM PDT
For crying out loud- be careful how our eat anything that says beware of nut shells or fruit pits. But these bars are a perfect antidote for my diabetic low blood glucose events; they are tasty,no- they are delicious, nutricious and healthy for what they are- fruit and nut bars. WOW!
Lee Myerhoff, Ph.D., psychologist, 83yrs old, diabetic for 55 years and going strong, still working and loving it.

Posted on Oct 15, 2014 6:20:48 AM PDT
I've eaten like 10-15 boxes of these and only found 2-3 pits. Just gotta keep that in your mind and be ready for one, but the chance seems to be small.

Compared to a lot of other vegan mealbars out there, these taste amazing and are definitely worth the risk of a pit or 2 if you're trying to eat healthy in my opinon. I haven't found a better brand yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2015 5:13:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2015 5:14:51 PM PDT
Ditto. Have not found any pits as yet. As much as I like chocolate, I prefer some of the other flavors. Cherry for one.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›