2.0 out of 5 stars If EA can improve on these, November 25, 2013
This review is from: FIFA 14 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
To begin this review, I want to start off by saying, I loved FIFA 13.
I know 13 had its own flaws, but I don't think they were bad enough to break the flow of the game.
I know people abused Pace. And I know it was a lot easier to dribble through defenders.
But I think those are the only MAJOR flaws in FIFA 13.
In FIFA 14....I will probably have to write a 10 page essay
But I will TRY to keep it short.

I've been playing FIFA 14 since release. I pre-ordered.
And also note, my review is 100% based on Ultimate Team Game Mode and in World Class difficulty level.
This review is for PS3, don't know if Xbox or the PC has the same issue.

Here are the major flaw topics I will go over in this review:
(Starting from the Worst Flaw in my opinion)
- Defending
- Player Switching (This is actually a close 1st)
- Tackling
- Passing
- Attacking/Shooting
- Player Physics/Momentum

Let's get started!!
***Defending***
As you move up in the difficulty level. (Especially, World Class and Above)
You will notice the Opponent AI get outrageously overpowerd.
While, your AI stays stupid, or even become more stupid. So *bleeping** stupid...
I'm sure you guys have noticed in FIFA 14, once you reach World Class difficulty level,
The attacking opponent AI will:
1. Dribble right through your stupid defenders
2. Make passes very very FAST to get passed your defenders
3. Chip pass passed your defenders (Still overpowered after the Mid-October patch)
4. Cross and score on your defenders, while they stand and stare.
I don't think there is anything I can do once the opponent attacker decides to score on you.
Sometimes, I got scored on less than 5 in-game minutes into the game.
Usually it goes like this. Opponent starts off with the ball.
Passes to winger, winger dribbles up the field through all my defenders, chip pass or cross,
and boom, scores.
Then I wonder why I keep playing this game.
Maybe in hopes that I can somehow figures out how to defend.
And YES, I have spent countless hours tweaking with the "Custom Tactics" and it doesn't help much.
I remember in FIFA 13, my defenders being so much smarter.
They'd pressure harder, keep with the ball/player and prevent/intercept passes.
And a lot of time, they'd come out with the ball for me.
In FIFA 14, I very rarely see an interception occur for my benefit.

***Player Switching***
I was going to add this to the defending section,
But this is so incredibly bad, it deserved its own section.
And also keep in mind, majority of my complaint for this flaw is during defending.
ESPECIALLY on fast paced counter attacks from the opponent.
I would lose the ball to the opponent defender, and they go on a "fast paced counter attack"
Where the opponent attackers are passing or dribbling very fast up the field.
In FIFA 13, when you pressed the player switch button, it would switch you to a defender that was in the best angle/position to make a tackle.
In FIFA 14, it will switch you to the most random defender, clearly not in the best position/angle for making a tackle. So I have to switch a few more times to get the player I want.
By the time you have switched to the player you want, the opponent has already made a pass to an open player or scored a goal already.
This is really frustrating because when you are in a situation, right in front of your goal, you can't afford the extra second trying to switch to the right player.

***Tackling***
Tackling is so difficult once you reach World Class.
First off, it's difficult to make a tackle in the first place because the opponent passes so well and fast.
They complete almost every pass with pin point accuracy as my defenders jog around and watch.
When I finally do make a tackle, the ball just rolls to another opposing player.
This happens way too much to be a coincidence.
Also, my players don't chase after the ball after I make a tackle, they are frozen, as if they are surprised I made a tackle.
And then finally, I would recover the ball from a tackle, but an opponent shows up out of nowhere to take the ball away again. It's very fraustrating.
The opponent's tackle timing is unreal as well.
Basically, once you cross the half into their territory, if you make a dribble that is a touch far from you, the opponent jumps right in front of you to take the ball, doesn't miss a beat.

***Passing***
Passing is so bad in this game. Again, once your reach World Class, it's even worse.
Passing within your half is pretty easy.
But after you've crossed into their half, the opponent is on you like a hawk.
First, let me say, the through balls are so hard to complete.
The opponent defenders are placed so well, they will intercept most through balls.
And from time to time, I witness the following phenomenon. And this is what gets me so worked up.
I would make a through pass, that seems like a sure completion, BUT!!!
An opponent defender that seemed too far away, suddenly teleports to the passing lane and intercepts!!
I'm not kidding guys... this has happened multiple times!!!

Or, this happens.
I would make an awesome through pass that puts my attacker on a breakaway.
Or so I thought... here comes Mr.World Class defender catching up to me in a heartbeat and tugging on my jersey.
How can 70 Paced defenders catch up to my 85+ paced strikers?
I know pace was overpowered in 13, but EA decided to take Pace out of the equation completely for 14.
Also, EA said strength was an important attribute in 14.
Not in World Class my friends... a mosquito could knock your King Kong off the ball.
Also note, I've tried "protect the ball" hahaha what a joke...

***Attacking/Shooting***
So with all the above issues, I do find myself creating chances here and there.
Enough to get a cross, or to get a shot off.
I have defaulted mainly to using the cross and header tactic,
Since I think that gives me the best chance to score.
Now, I will reiterate this again. The jump from Professional to World Class is so huge and unrealistic.
I will use this striker for example: Llorente (Juventus)
87 rated Header, 92 Strength, 93 Header Accuracy, 86 Finishing, 88 Positioning
Is out played by a much much lower rated player in all aspects.
They just push him out of the way, or jump in from of him.
In Professional, when the crosses come in well, my striker can score, but not the case in World Class.
It doesn't matter if a cross comes in well. My striker will be beat.
I use a Serie A/Italian squad, so I've tried all the best Heading/Strong players in the league. Same result.

As for the shooting, remember how I mentioned the "teleporting" in the Passing section?
Well, that happens here too.
The opponent defenders just throw themselves in front of the ball when a shot is taken.
They will block everything!!! Nothing will get through them! (I'm exaggerating a bit here lol)
I will take shots thinking I have an open lane, but a defender that seemed pretty far away will all of sudden "teleport" right in front you to block the shot.

***Player Physics/Momentum***
Lastly in this section, I want to touch on the "Real Physics/Player Momentum" EA was raving about in the pre-launch FIFA14 commercials.
Oh, it's definitely there! But only for my players lol
When I defend, the opponent attackers will either do a sudden stop, or do a cut-in.
And due to the "realistic" player momentum my defender is burned, and not able to change direction fast enough to catch up because his momentum won't allow it.
That's all fine, but why doesn't this "law" apply to the opponent defenders?
When I stop suddenly, or do a cut-in, the defender is right there with me.
Or sometimes, I am able to cut-in past the defender with success.
But give it half a second, and the defender will be right with me again.
Is it because a World Class defender can predict everything I do and defy the "law" of player momentum that you yourself put into place?! Geez... give me a break...

Oh yeah, I almost left this one out.
Players knocking each other down.
I can't count how many times I conceived a goal because my defenders ran into each other creating a breakaway for the opposing team.
I even witnessed my defender knocking down my goalie during a cross.
I hope EA fixes this... this really doesn't need to be in the game.
This isn't "real" EA. Even if it was... we don't need this annoying feature in the game.

***Summary***
This pretty much sums up my experience.
I know it's long, but hopefully some of you read through the whole thing and provide feedback.
Some of you may question my team chemistry, which is a 100.
But I don't think that matters too much in FIFA14 to be honest.
And I don't think buying good players matter that much either.
Nothing matters in World Class. (slight exaggeration lol)

I still play this game. Almost every day even.
But I find myself quitting after a short while after I get dismantled so unfairly by the opposing team.

Please feel free to comment/agree/disagree.
Because this is just one person's opinion.
I'm most certainly open to suggestions and tips.
Because I really want to like this game.

Thanks for reading!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2013 11:54:52 AM PST
Kahren says:
I agree completely with everything that was said!!!
One thing I can think of that was forgotten: in my 30+ years of watching and playing (not professionally) soccer I've never seen that many goalpost hits as I've encountered in FIFA 14.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2013 1:21:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2013 1:23:23 PM PST
JPK says:
Yeah, i completely agree, it's as if EA made the shooting worse for your players on purpose on higher difficulty levels. I think I had a game where I lost 2-0, but the game stats showed I had something like 9 shots on target and my opponent only had 4. And I swear, 5 out of those 9 attempts hit the post lol

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 2:10:04 AM PST
Omar says:
yup, i agree that world class is way overpowered. i used to be really good on world class in previous iterations, and i have the same problems you're having on FIFA 14. i have to resort to the cheap header every single time. and as a 4.5-5 star team, i can barely beat a 3 star team b/c of these unrealistic aspects you discussed. i now only play this game on professional, and it's still frustrating at times b/c of the bad defending, passing, and ball control. oh by the way, i play on manager mode, and don't even get me started with all the stupid layout issues, scouting stupidity, and laaaaaaaag that ruin the entire experience. blah. FIFA was one of my favorite things, and they ruined it. oh and by the way, it's also giving me carpal tunnel lol. so that's been fun.

Posted on Dec 29, 2014 3:30:10 PM PST
Summed it up perfectly
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (676 customer reviews)

$29.99 $21.99