5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, almost identical to the more expensive version!, May 8, 2007
This review is from: RAD Cycle Products Heavy Duty Bike Lift Hoist For Garage Storage 100lb Capacity Mountain Bicycle Hoist (Home)
This bike lift is almost identical to the more expensive Racor list. We purchased a Racor first, then three of these. The only difference is slightly cheaper rope, and different pulleys. For the price, I'm happy that I went with this one.

Review from my Racor purchase (applies to all of them):
We purchased four lifts (three of this brand, one Racor) for our garage and are happy with them. We were able to position each bike about 16" apart and have no trouble getting any bike up or down.

I have several hints from our installation, and one complaints, but on the whole am very satisfied:

Positive:
* Works smoothly
* Clever, simple system
* Locking mechanism for rope is nice
* Installation is straightforward

Negative:
* Hooks need a safety strap, depending on where you attach them

Hints:
* I attached the hooks to a lower location on each bike to have the bike lifted all the way to the ceiling. This gives me enough room to stand beneath the bikes without bending my head.
* I used some of the extra rope, after cutting to an appropriate length, for safety straps for the hooks. Depending on where the hooks attach, they may not have enough bite to fully trust -- easy way to prevent potential injury (see an earlier post on earthquakes!!)
* I don't recommend using the supplied bracket for excess rope. I just coiled the rope and hung it from one of the quick-release levers on the bike. Works great, and keeps the ropes from getting tangled.

On the whole, I'm happy with our purchase. Almost identical to the Racor lift here Racor Ceiling Mounted Bike Lift #PBH-1R and a significant savings that adds up if you're buying several.

================================
UPDATE: January 20, 2010
================================
After living with these hoists for a while, I have mixed emotions:

* Hooks do not have a deep/aggressive enough curve, resulting in a less than optimal hold depending on what part of the bike you're trying to hold.

* Some sort of safety strap is necessary on each hook, partly due to the shape of the hook.. I dropped a bike several times due to the hook not holding reliably, a strap would have at least made this less painful.

* While the hoist makes the bikes easier to raise and lower (minus the hook issues), it is not able to get the bikes as high as simple bike hooks mounted in the same location

Given the lack of trust in the hold provided by the hooks plus the few inches of lost clearance that make a difference in our garage (though our mounting situation may be lower than yours) I've gone back to good old bike hooks to store our bikes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 28, 2007 5:53:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2007 6:00:20 PM PDT
Drywall screws?

Drywall screws are brittle, and can easily snap/shear under load (and sometimes even just by driving them into wood). They are NOT designed for purposes such as this hoist.

A MUCH better (and proper) way is to pre-drill some pilot holes so you can use the screws that are supplied with this hoist, and are more reliable than 4 drywall screws.

Aside from that, the review did give helpful comparison info between the 2 different hoists.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2007 11:41:17 AM PDT
Peter Porter says:
Thanks for the input, I did not know that drywall screws were so brittle. I will remount the racks with proper screws.

Posted on May 11, 2008 6:04:00 AM PDT
Atlantic says:
My first thought was "drywall screws"? While they may work, why not use a pilot hole and use what I suspect are the supplied "wood screws" designed to hold weight?

I suggest you amend your review so people that don't read the comments won't be creating problems for themselves. Not amending your mistake is somewhat of a disservice and can over shadow the positive aspects of your review....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 5:09:34 PM PST
Bad Grandpa says:
You took the words right out of my mouth.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 5:21:15 PM PST
Peter Porter says:
I apologize that I hadn't updated the review until know. Looking back, the suggestion to use drywall screws was pretty inane, not to mention potentially dangerous. Review is now properly updated!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 9:51:20 AM PDT
esanta says:
It's so good to have the input of experts... I would have used drywall screws as well. Thank you for the useful info :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 1:30:14 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
I'm no expert either, but instead of #6 drywall screws I would have used fatter #8 or #10 diameter deck screws of whatever length needed. They're cheap to buy, commonly available in 2-1/2" and 3" length, and strong. Their tensile strength is plenty strong for hanging a 100 pound load from this gizmo, and the square drive system is much less apt to be a problem when driving them without drilling pilot holes first.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2014 2:27:33 PM PST
FJ kayaker says:
Curve of the hooks: Why not just bend them, to a desired angle?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›