1.0 out of 5 stars They DO have competition: check them out, November 25, 2009
This review is from: Flip MinoHD Video Camera - Brushed Metal, 8 GB, 2 Hours (2nd Generation) (Camera)
I bought one of these Flip MinoHD units on Amazon as soon as they came out and have been using it for well over a month.
BUT, I also bought an RCA SmallWonder (Model EZ201) from Amazon last year, and have been using it for a year, so I have a comparison:

I expected this Flip MinoHD to be at least a little more evolved and have some attributes that my RCA unit does not.
After all, it's FOUR times the price.

Well, sad to say, I prefer the $50 SmallWonder, with it's capacity to increase memory MUCH higher (and cheaper) than this Flip Mino.
- the Flip can't increase it's onboard memory: you're limited to the 2 hrs.
Also, if your battery runs out while you're shooting (and it WILL, trust me) there's nothing you can do about it. With the SmallWonder, you just pop in another two AA batteries and you're back in business within 30 seconds.

Their claim of 2-hour battery life is ridiculous: a little over an hour is the best I can achieve.
Then there's the software (or utilities, if you will). The RCA's user-friendliness when it comes to the included utilities is MUCH better than this Flip unit. Flip markets itself as a YouTube filmer, but you struggle with their included tools to get the right video up on YouTube. very poor editing tools.

Tech support? it takes 4 or 5 emailings back and forth for them to understand the simplest of questions. One they never did answer, because they just didn't understand my question. Get this: they asked me to SEND THEM a photo of the Flip Mino, so that they could understand what part of the unit I was describing! Apparently they have never actually handled one enough to remember what it looks like.
I don't know whether it's a language barrier or just that their tech support staff needs to get around to studying for their GED, but in the two cases I had it was pathetic.

So save yourself some $$ and look at RCA's unit; they've even likely improved it in the year since I bought mine.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2009 11:35:45 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 10:33:47 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 20, 2009 8:34:24 PM PST
guynsfbay says:
In comparing the RCA Small Wonder battery usage with the Flip's rechargeable, I feel the Flip is a better choice because don't forget to add the ongoing cost of batteries to the cost of the RCA! Every time you "pop in another two AA batteries" that's money out the window. And you better stock up on those AA batteries cause you'll need to "pop in another two AA batteries in about another 2 hours... might want to carry a few extra batteries with you just in case... and you will need to recycle all those used batteries if you're pro-environment. For me I'll plan ahead with the Flip and just recharge when it get's low on power.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2009 4:57:19 AM PST
Somnambulist says:
There *are* rechargeable AA batteries...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2009 1:54:45 PM PST
I have a macbook pro also and all I did was buy a USB extension that fit into the macbook and it worked fine. Had no problems since then.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2009 7:56:52 AM PST
S. ackerman says:
how do u charge this Flip???

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2009 11:31:33 AM PST
ZmanNYC2 says:
How about rechargeable batteries? The Sanyo Eneloop do just fine. I've been powering my Kodak camera w/video for years and the batteries last long, and it's simple to carry an extra pair (or two).

Posted on Dec 26, 2009 5:50:48 AM PST
J. GILLEN says:
I have had both of these camcorders and the RCA doesn't compare to the Flip. While the RCA is a cute camcorder it is not as user friendly as the Flip. I like to be able to make a movie and add music to my recordings and the Flip has software that allows you to do that. The RCA does not have that capability and what you get is clips that do not transisiton into each other smoothly. With both,,, if you want to record it to a DVD and play it on your television you will have to convert it. I purchased the software to do this and I have a great little movie with the Flip. Don't waste your money on the RCA or for that matter so many of the other immitation brands,,, none of them are as capable as the Flip. I didn't want to settle for clips, I wanted a smooth, transisitioned movie. The Flip is fun for a mini camcorder and yes it is more money,, and perhaps they should think of coming down on their price since they now have other mini's but honestly,, if you are looking for something that is going to make sense,, get the Flip in this type of camcorder. The conversion programs aren't expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2009 7:07:30 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 31, 2009 4:05:18 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 30, 2009 12:17:44 PM PST
Chandler says:
What trouble did you have uploading to youtube with the mino?
You know what you do? you hit the picture of the globe and then choose "facebook" youtube, myspace, etc. Then it loads up automatically.

Did you try it? What could be easier...the UltraHD is the same.
Also the Small Wonder isn't an HD camera...you know that, right? It was the grainiest camera I've actually ever seen, and heavily pixilated. It filmed just like my iphone which is no comparison to the other cameras in high def, high clarity and sound.

But I'll give you this...it IS cheap so it's good for fun filming. :-)

Also, you can call or email tech support and reach them instantly. I tested it just to see.

Maybe these things were true of the Mino in the past or uploading to youtube...but even though I don't personally love the Mino, it's still of better quality than the Small Wonder not just in my eyes but CNET editors agree about the graininess of the small wonder....bottom line, it's not High Def so it's not in the same category even though it's price is awesome! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2010 11:35:32 AM PST
yes, of course I know the Small Wonder is not HD; uploaded to YouTube there's virtually no difference. It's like buying a 1080P TV at 32 inches: no discernible difference.

The SmallWonder software to upload to web sites is much easier to use.
As for tech support, that's where the Flip falls down for me the most: the best I've ever gotten is 3 business days for a reply. Once it took 9 days. They are TERRIBLE !! And then when you DO get a response finally, they ask you to do things like "can you upload a photo of your Flip to us?" Imagine, they don't even have a working model of the thing they're providing tech support for.

The battery question is a matter of choice, I guess. I don't carry around a computer with USB port to recharge the Flip; I'd rather carry a couple of extra batteries, which are CHEAP when you buy them 48 in a box at Costco.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›