3.0 out of 5 stars decent camera but surprisingly less intuitive than previous model, August 20, 2013
This review is from: Canon PowerShot ELPH 115 16MP Digital Camera (Silver) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
This is my third Canon Powershot Elph, so obviously, I'm a fan of this model. Between my 1st & 2nd (3 years), i saw a HUGE improvement in sharpness (MP)& zoom, also it was SO intuitive (in particular automatically "brightening" a dim shot (when i didn't want to use flash) & for close-up/macro shots) that I was able to rely on auto setting for all my picture taking needs. When i lost the 2nd camera on vacation, I tried to see the glass as half full & anticipated a even SMARTER, more intuitive camera. This was listed as the newest model of the one I had lost (with better MP & zoom), but unfortunately, I have found that it's actually LESS intuitive - the auto focus gets confused easily (I would say 15-20% of simple/still pictures come out blurry) & the flash doesn't go off about 20% of the time I think it should, sure these percentages are relatively low but it makes me worry about missed photo opportunities in fleeting moments. Also, I was annoyed to find that this camera doesn't come with a transfer cord (to plug into usb)or a memory card. Granted, the measly memory card that came with the previous models were useless but as another reviewer mentioned - then this should be mentioned in the item description. The item description also doesn't mention transferring photos at all (I haven't read the manual (the camera comes with a quick guide, but if you want the full manual, you have to go online) & maybe this is one of those wifi cameras where you can transfer photos to your smart phone or tablet wirelessly - but this shouldn't eliminate the option of doing it manually). Luckily, the camera does have the same "port" as the previous model so i was able to use my old transfer cords but there is NO REASON why that shouldn't be included with the camera. On the upside, this camera is smaller, lighter-weight & more streamline, but for my money - i'd rather it be the same size as before & function better.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2013 6:34:12 AM PDT
Sr Storm says:
Hi, which Canon Powershot Elph version did you previously have? If it is still available, would you recommend buying it over this one? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2013 12:57:05 PM PDT
busybeedsp says:
I would like to know the previous model, too. Was it the 2400 by any chance?

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 12:58:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 18, 2013 12:58:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 12:48:14 PM PDT
I agree, I also had a previous model and liked it much more than this one. It had half the pixels but took a much clearer brighter picture than this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2013 9:46:46 AM PST
Fanny Wong says:
I was wondering did the reviewer for the Canon Powershot Elph ever answer your question about which older model did he buy before this one? I am interested in the older model as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 8:44:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2014 8:12:00 PM PST
busybeedsp says:
He did and he was primarily a DSLR user. His opinion was that this was no substitute for a DSLR, but that it did a good job for him as an alternative to taking the heavier camera. I used to shoot SLR, but cannot afford a DSLR at present. I plan to buy the ELPH 115, because it had good reviews for clear shots and Macro. I plan to use it for Amazon and eBay for selling. I will also try it out for other photos. Once I recover from a rather lengthy illness, buy it and use it, I will try to review it for you.

Thank,

Dee

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2013 4:41:36 PM PST
moses says:

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 4:43:15 PM PST
moses says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2013 10:09:04 AM PST
Roanne W. says:
Did you compare the Canon Elph 115 to the Canon A2500? Wondering which ones you have been researching in this price range? Which other Canon models have you found that are comparable to this one?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2014 6:08:22 PM PST
busybeedsp says:
Although I have not been able to use it yet, I have decided to go with the Canon ELPH115 IS. I will be using it mostly for eBay and Amazon selling, and it has good reviews for clear pictures. There are some good reviews for macro shooting as well. Check your chosen model # and check the reviews on Amazon. I if there are several negatives compared to either 4 or 5 reviews each check them out. If everyone is having different problems, it can be because they are not reading the directions or not using the camera correctly. If most people are having the same problem, it is probably a camera model problem. Beware of ads from people who have not actually bought and used the camera or who are not verified purchasers. I ignore them when I check reviews for myself. Once I have recovered from illness and have actually used the camera, I will review it.

Best wishes,