Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, poor durability, Bad Service, November 12, 2010
This review is from: CowboyStudio Photo / Video 24in Large Speedlite Flash Softbox with L-Bracket, Shoe Mount and Carry Case (Camera)
We purchased two of these for our studio this summer. Initially, we enjoyed the product, it seemed sturdy and easy to use. Within a week, the wire frame disconnected on one and prevented closing the softbox for storage. Then the metal frame could not be tightened and kept me from securely mounting to a light stand. I contacted CowboyStudio and they were very helpful in telling me to exchange, however, they would not send the new one until they received the old one. As I had several gigs, I had to wait, but once I did they sent me the wrong unit (the smaller 16") and the mounting bracket was obviously used and attached poorly. Again, we contacted cowboystudio and arranged to send back the unit. I placed everything in the package, the softbox, trigger, and bracket and sent it back. That was 2 months ago, I have not heard from them and they will not return calls nor emails from my partner or myself.

At this point we just want our money back, but are unable to get any response. Would definitely not deal with cowboy again. You get what you pay for is an understatement.

Side note: My partner's soft box began tearing at the back where the ring mounts after a month or so of use.

If you need a short term, cheaper unit, go ahead; Otherwise, stay away.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 14, 2012 1:57:36 AM PDT
I purchased one of Cowboy's softboxes and it was not able to be used. I had a concern once it arrived... looking and feeling flimsy. Nonetheless, I went ahead and attempted to put the softbox together... mind-you, I have been working as a photographer for over thirty years. Turned out not so good, the box supporting rod eventually broke through poking a hole during assembly. Against my better judgement, I felt the cover wouldn't hold up giving the quality of the fabric - cheaply made. This not the first time I have elected to go the less expensive route hoping for a good deal and come up short.

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 7:06:48 AM PDT
SMR says:
Does anyone suggest an alternate unit? This one seems too inexpensive, but my research indicates that anything better quality jumps up in price to hundreds of dollars. Is there anything a little bit more expensive and a better quality or do you just have to jump up to high cost options?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2013 7:37:31 AM PDT
I am in agreement with SMR and those of us who have purchased the unit. I used the unit once, after that it was not able to use any longer. Try some other unit or softbox combination.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013 8:44:05 AM PDT
SMR says:
Overall, on Amazon, I see so many negative reviews of products I'm interested in and barely anyone suggests what to buy instead. I know negative reviewers are trying to be helpful (some just do it to complain), but it's more helpful when they point to alternative products that work better.

I'd like to know of a relatively inexpensive softbox that performs better. Maybe I need to investigate DIY.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2013 11:45:49 PM PDT
It is my suggestion to use an octagon shaped collapsable umbrella style of softbox. They are much easier to set up and you do not have to worry about the support rods required to put together this softbox. They open and close just as all umbrellas do. They normally come with a six inch sip slop to provide easy access for the studio light stand. Also, it requires accessories as all studio equipment, but nothing major. Finally, it has been my experience, you will get what you pay for... studio equipment that has stood the test of time, normally cost more.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2013 9:25:57 AM PDT
Hi Marlon,

Thanks for your feedback. I've actually seen a lot of photographers move from square softboxes to octagonal boxes, Neil van Niekerk and David Hobby to name two big names.

I only have two modifiers currently, a very small softbox and a shoot-through umbrella. The reason I was interested in a square softbox is to have very direct control over direction and feathering of the light. Through reading (but no personal experience whatsoever) it seems that you can very easily control the edges of your light using a square box so you can feather it exactly the way you need it. I would be concerned that using octagonal would not really allow this. I could be completely overvaluing this ability of the square shape though.

Do you have any Amazon product links for good quality octagonal boxes that you can post here?

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2014 1:12:18 AM PST
Look into Lasolite Ezybox. It's the same size as cowboy studio one but costs 4 times more. You're paying for the name but also for quality. Lasolite one will last forever. Cowboy studio one will most probably break in 3 to 5 times of using it unless you assemble it and leave it like that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›