1.0 out of 5 stars UPDATED: No longer able to use BT Functionality. ORIGINALLY: Great remote, but doesn't work with just any USB hub, September 9, 2010
This review is from: TiVoSlide C00240 Keyboard Remote Control, Black (Electronics)
UPDATE: 1/4/2012 - Demoted from 4 stars down to just 1

I should have gone back and read other people's reviews a long time ago. For about the last 10 months, I can no longer use most of the Bluetooth functions of this remote, due to the ridiculous amount of response lag. If I need to search something with a long title, I'll plug the dongle back in, but otherwise I now use only the IR functionality, and for this I paid $72.00! I tried repositioning the BT dongle, replacing the batteries, repairing the remote, just about everything. The only thing I didn't try was calling TiVo support, since the remote was already out of warranty. Like I said, I wish I'd gone back and read the reviews of others, since this problem doesn't seem to be at all uncommon.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: 9/9/10 - 4 stars

I was so excited to receive this remote, but I was dismayed to discover that I would need an extra USB port to plug in the Bluetooth receiver, since all compatible TiVo models only have two of them, and in my case, they're both in use (one by the cable company's tuning adapter, and the other by my wireless network adapter). To further the problem, while new TiVo Premiere DVRs have several options for supported USB hubs, apparently, my TiVo HD/XL DVR is only compatible with one model of USB hub, which is USB 1.1, not 2.0. So, after speaking with TiVo support, my options are to use an old technology USB hub, or buy a new N wireless network adapter that plugs into the ethernet port on my TiVo, freeing up a USB port for the Slide remote. Seems needlessly complicated, and I'm left wondering why my TiVo HD/XL, which is just a year and a half old, supports only USB 1.1. (USB 2.0 has been the standard for what, 5 years now?) Anyway, TiVo graciously offered me a free USB hub that is compatible but the old technology (when they get them in stock) or half off a new N wireless adapter. I bought the discounted adapter; it's a bit pricey, but at least it's new technology.

All that said, I did unplug my current network adapter to try out the Slide remote's Bluetooth functions, and they work VERY well. I only wish TiVo had better advertised the fact that many of their customers would need some sort of workaround in order to get the remote to a fully functioning state. After all, more and more cable companies are requiring the use of tuning adapters in order to broaden their HD channel lineup. Sure, I could switch to the cable company's DVR, but it's nowhere near as intuitive as TiVo's interface.

So to sum up, -1 star for lack of full technical disclosure on TiVo's part when marketing this remote.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2010 7:59:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2010 8:00:54 PM PDT
JF says:
Thank you very much for this information. Like you I have an HD XL and a wireless adapter and live in LA and was recently notified by my cable company that a tuning adapter will soon be required. I was about to buy this remote but will now re-think it based on your review. I have one question - are you saying that the TiVo wireless N adapter plugs into the Ethernet port and not a USB port or did you have to get a separate adapter to make that happen?

Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 3:27:49 PM PDT
Correct, the TiVo wireless N adapter plugs into the Ethernet port and not a USB port.

Posted on Nov 2, 2010 2:07:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2010 2:17:27 PM PDT
USB 1.1 supports up to 12Mbps. While that is slower than 802.11g, which goes up to 54Mbps, it is still much faster than most broadband internet connections. Where this could hurt you is if you're transferring files from within your home between TiVo and another network device (e.g. using the TiVo PC client to transfer files from the TiVo to your computer). In those cases, you can't leverage the full 54Mbps of your wireless G network. Otherwise, if you only need the wireless connection for internet access, I would think that the USB 1.1 should be no worse than a USB 2.0 connection. Thus, unless you have a T1-class internet connection, if you plugged your Wireless G adapter into a hub that is shared with the Bluetooth receiver for this remote, you should still be unaffected since the data throughput required of this remote combined with the speed of your internet connection would still be less than the 12Mbps restriction of USB 1.1.

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 11:23:41 AM PST
Nutter60047 says:
this is also a negative review of your cable service becuase my cable service doesnt require me to use any USB ports for my TIVO. i use ether net cord for wifi, and cable card for cable service with coax cable as well. this review is invalid for most people how have relevant cable services.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 12:02:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2010 12:03:26 AM PST
JF says:
Time Warner Cable in Los Angeles is notifying cable card customers that they will also need a tuning adapter to receive SDV channels. The tuning adapter is connected via USB cable. I haven't hooked mine up yet but I've already lost some channels.

The review is not at all invalid; in fact I found it very helpful. You have no idea how relevant it is to anyone other than yourself. Do a search on "tuning adapter" and "time warner" or "comcast" and let us know how many results you get, or just let us know when you finally get the notification from your provider that you now need a tuning adapter.

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 4:42:53 PM PST
Mike H. says:
Just so you know you could probably purchase a cheap "usb hub" and plug it in to one of the two ports on the tivo - it should then allow you to connect additional devices to the hub as the original design of USB was to allow multiple devices to connect through one main USB slot.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 5:41:18 PM PDT
Harmonie says:
I tried that before I ever posted my initial review, which is why I mentioned in the review's title that the slide remote is not compatible with all USB hubs. To get the slide remote to work with the TiVo HD/XL DVR that I own, thus creating additional ports for other USB devices currently plugged into the TiVo, I would have to buy a USB 1.1 hub, which is old technology.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 5:44:38 PM PDT
Harmonie says:
I do transfer files between from TiVo devices to my computer, and between the multiple TiVos I own. But I appreciate your feedback! :o)

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 7:26:23 AM PDT
Joe Lupino says:
It's only a matter of time before you will upgrade to the wireless N adapter. I did just recently and the download speed has improved. If you plan to keep Tivo you might as well get the better wireless adapter at a sale price now and free up the needed USB Port.

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 9:55:18 PM PST
CT Resident says:
This is a serious question, not trolling. I just don't think I understand all the tech behind things to appreciate the concerns expressed in the reviewmaround the hubs.

What is the problem with using "old technology" if it works adequately for the needed application? I have this conversation with my husband all the time, and he'll say that he won't be able to use it in the future for something else, because then it'll REALLY be out of date... To which I point out that when he's done using it in its current situation, he wants to replace most of his technology with the latest and greatest anyway.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›