2.0 out of 5 stars Recipes aren't good!, February 8, 2013
This review is from: Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle (Paperback)
I've been incorporating paleo/primal food into my diet for nearly 6 years now. I'm well versed in the science behind it, yada yada yada. Recipes begin on page... 230 and end on 410 - and each recipe is accompanied by a full-size color picture. Yeah, this book is heavy on convincing you of the science of this way of eating. I wish the first 229 pages were sold as a separate book because it makes it cumbersome to try to cook out of this book in the kitchen.

Of the recipes that I've tried, I really dislike them. For example:

Bacon-wrapped Smoky Chicken Thighs (Page 262)- I made it with the savory spice blend (as one of the alternative options listed) and it was just meh. Boring dark meat chicken with no real depth of flavor. Skip this one.

Butternut Sage Soup (Page 348) - The taste of the orange juice is so overpowering, you can't taste any other flavor. I juiced my own large navel orange and it was too much. "1 butternut squash" and "juice of 1 orange" leaves a recipe open to failure. 1/2 lb squash or 1/3 cup fresh orange juice might eliminate these problems. It needed more garlic, more onion, more chicken flavor, some rosemary, thyme... again, no depth of flavor. This recipe was the reason I bought the book so I'm bleh now.

Flourless Mocha-Bacon Brownies (Page 410) - This tastes like straight coffee within an eggy medium. I regularly snack on Lindt 90% bars, so I'm used to things not being overly sweet. My brownies came out as a stiff custard consistency. These weren't sweet whatsoever and are not a substitute for a real brownie.

**Revision: I gave this book another shot and tried another recipe on 3/28/13.

Moo-less Chocolate Mousse (Page 402) - I made this recipe using 4 T of coconut milk (as the recipe states 2-4 T coconut milk) and 2 T of maple syrup (as the recipe states 1-4 T maple syrup or honey.) At first, I thought it was horrid, but I refrigerated it for 30+ minutes and it was more palatable. The maple syrup and cacao powder leaves a sort of bitter after taste, but again, it's palatable.

I live in a family that doesn't eat paleo, and they hated the recipes I made from this book. I definitely can't win them over with these recipes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 8, 2013 8:38:02 AM PDT
Angelsong says:
My daughter made the Butternut Squash soup for us and it was amazing! We didn't know there was orange juice in it until she told us. I'm not sure why it was overpowering for you, but for us- it was delicious. My only complaint was that it was a bit thick.

Posted on Nov 3, 2013 1:39:50 AM PST
Terrier Girl says:
Just a thought here. We all have different palates, especially if we've been eating outside the box for some time. I've always thought of recipes as suggestions. I often have to tweak spices, etc. It took a month or so for me to adjust my palate to the more bitter unsweetened chocolate; now I use part of a banana or some coconut meat from a jar of coconut concentrate to alleviate the bitter quality.

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 8:45:50 AM PST
S. tamburin says:
Some people like lots of spices, others don't. I have not bought this book yet and don't know much about the recipes but as far as taste goes, my family loves garlic and onion and I put way more in than most recipes call for, ditto other spices. I know that I have to put less if I am having company because not all people like the strong taste of some of the spices I use and our family loves. I imagine, if I buy this book, which is almost a certainty, I will have to put in a lot more spices than these recipes call for, except for when I am cooking for friends, not family. I'll let you know how things turn out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›