2.0 out of 5 stars Results depend on the control device, February 18, 2011
This review is from: Belkin Conserve Socket with Energy Saving Outlet (Electronics)
Please consider the intended control device when purchasing this product. I purchased this to use in my home theater. I wanted to completely turn off my subwoofer amp, blu-ray player, PS3 and wii when my main amp is turned off. I do not want to use my TV as the control device as I want to be able to watch cable on the TV without turning everything else on. So, I used my Pioneer amp as the control device. Unfortunately, the Pioneer must draw too much power in standby as the Belkin will not recognize when I turn it off. The Belkin is not adjustable for this situation. I ended up getting the Smart Strip SCG3 Smart Strip SCG3 Energy Saving Power Strip with Autoswitching Technology which does have an adjustment. A quarter turn to the left on the adjustment screw and it is working perfectly. It has one less outlet than the Belkin (Smart Strip does make them with more) but the Smart Strip is less expensive and actually works in my situation. BTW, I have tested the Belkin with other control devices and while most work, a few just do not.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 28, 2011 12:58:16 PM PDT
Caution to anyone considering the Smart Strip. I've had TWO just decide to stop functioning as anything more than a regular surge protector. Changing the adjustment dial did nothing, and tech support was unable to offer any support. After throwing away two that lasted less than a year, I would recommend against them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 7:49:56 PM PST
John Salazar says:
I think the use of a receiver instead of a television to turn the system on and off kinda defeats the purpose of the switch. You want to cut power to the items that are drawing the most power thats were your money savings is going to be.

But I can see where this would be a problem if you use your receiver to listen to music which would not require the tv to be on.

In that situaution I think the Belkin strip that has the remote to turn it on and off might work better?

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 1:41:48 PM PST
Glenn says:
Thank you for pointing this out! I'm actually looking to turn my computer speakers off when my computer monitor turns off (my computer stays on) and doubt this product will work. It might but I'm not willing to assume the risk since I never seem to return online purchases!

They're expensive speakers that don't go into standby mode and get very warm even when not in use. I'm going to look into the strip you mention.

Thanks again!

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 10:14:45 PM PST
The OP is missing the point. Plug the TV in the control outlet. Peripherals into the others. Turning on your TV doesn't turn everything else on, it simply turns the available power to those devices on. In Dave's case, the amp is most likely the largest draw of power in his system and would be the item best suited for the controlled outlets. That's the point of these power strips: keep the appliances with the biggest draw (while turned off) from pulling any power.

I have both the Smart Strip (large one with ten outlets) and the Belkin. They are both good products. While the Smart Strip has an adjustment, the problem many people experience is from the capacitors in TVs and Amps. They hold a charge for a period of time after the item is turned off. These strips cannot tell the difference between this held charge and the item being turned off. I have an older LCD TV that will keep a charge for around 5 minutes. Then everything plugged into the strip powers down.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 9:51:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 9:51:58 AM PST
He's not missing the point. The point is to have the power strip controlled by the device that will always be on when any of the other components is on. In my case it's the receiver. On the weekends I play music and don't have the TV on for hours at a time. You're saying I should keep the TV on all day just so I can listen to music. That said, I didn't have a problem with my receiver working with the power strip.

Posted on Aug 6, 2013 8:53:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2013 8:55:11 AM PDT
These power strips work best when they have an adjustment so you can define the threshold between standby power and "on" power. This review is right on the money in that non-adjustable devices may not work in many circumstances. I've been through three similar products trying to find one that works in my set up. The Smart Strip ended up working while the first two I tried didn't. The amount of standby power devices draw differs widely--especially if it's a PC in sleep mode. These products are a great idea, but Belkin seems to often get it wrong. I've been dissapointed with nearly every Belkin product I've purchased. They seem to spend more on marketing than actual product development. I sometimes wonder if they just slap their name on generic Chinese products.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (414 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $87.00