5.0 out of 5 stars Dexter, Part 3, March 8, 2009
This review is from: Dexter: Season 3 (DVD)
Dexter is, hands down, the most brilliantly written television series I have ever watched. The pacing is downright perfection, the story telling and weaving is an absolute powerhouse of entertainment. Plus, the dialogue is nothing short of utterly amazing.

The cast is something that award shows lust for. Michael C. Hall was always brilliant on Six Feet Under - The Complete Series Gift Set. Since episode one he has proven that he can make a totally different character (than the interally conflicted gay brother who owns a funeral home w/his family.) He truly is an actor in the caliber of DeNiro or Nicholson, in my opinion.

The rest of the cast is amazing too. Jennifer Carpenter Quarantine (+ BD Live) [Blu-ray] is often called the weak link (by my wife and almost every woman I know for some reason,) however I disagree, she's just as brilliant in her internal conflicts than everyone else. She's often the conscience in Dexter's mind when there is none otherwise. That's not to say Dexter doesn't have morals, but there are certain things that his sister points out which seems like a light bulb goes off in the Dexter's head.

Jimmy Smits in any TV show seems to improve it by a factor of three. This series didn't need it so much, but he's a very welcome addition. In fact, I compared the 'Donut Shop Scene' in this season to the DeNiro/Pacino coffee shop scene in Heat (Two-Disc Special Edition).

This season is full of twists and turns which come like an 18 wheeler truck from out of nowhere. They blindside you like any great mystery and story does. Constantly brilliant is an understatement when it comes to Dexter and his way of thinking and the problems he faces.

From episode one, the story arc is a white-knuckle thrill ride which grabs you from the get-go.

The only issue which could be seen as a fault to anyone who hasn't seen the last two seasons, is that you MUST watch the first 24 episodes. Without knowing the history of Dexter, you are completely lost. This is certainly not a series you can jump into just because it 'looks okay.'

Five stars for sure, wonderful in every way.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2009 9:01:09 AM PST
Scaliwag says:
"The rest of the cast is amazing too. Jennifer Carpenter is often called the weak link (by my wife and almost every woman I know for some reason,) however I disagree...."

It's funny that you should mention this because I've noticed that most straight women I know who watch the show *are* rather threatened by Carpenter's depiction of Debra. A coworker described this perfectly to me when she said, "I don't get it. She's so... manly... yet she has long hair and she wears make up. Why does she have to be so ... manly?" And yet isn't interesting that men don't seem to pick up on that in the same way? I've had many conversations along these lines and while it's clear that Debra is straight as arrow, apparently straight women only like to see themselves as the characters on Sex in the City or The View.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2009 10:35:10 AM PST
E. Lambeth says:
Debra keeps getting better and better. I thought the acting started off poorly in season 1, but like I said she just keeps getting better, and you really get used to and amused by her idioms. In season 4, she is fantastic.
Dexter, Harry, and Debra are easily my favorite characters on the show, and I love all of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2009 1:59:55 PM PST
I have never sat down and really asked or tried to discern why exactly my wife doesn't like her so much. My wife is the type of person whom will dislike Carpenter for the rest of her career simply because of this character. However, she will also watch something 'because it has Deb from DEXTER in it.' I have never really understood that rationale.

My dad is similar. However, there is nothing that will convince him otherwise when it comes to an actor/actress. Unless he forgets for a while whom they played.

I am the type to analyze the actor as a whole. For instance, I don't care for Antonio Banderas. However, I will watch Shrek 2 and the Third (and the upcoming 'Goes Forth.") as many times as my kids want to simply because the good outweighs the bad.

But anyway--Yes, Deb Morgan as a character is 'man-ish' and with very good reason. She had no mother to speak of, her dad was a great detective, and her brother was disturbed beyond all belief (although unbeknownst to her.) So she had to step up to the plate whenever possible while growing up and be noticed. So, she curses a lot and shows her toughness.

Thanks for the feedback. And---season 4...I'm speechless yet. I have yet to figure out just how to write my review. Thankfully it will be a while before the DVD comes out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2009 2:04:02 PM PST
Deb DOES in fact keep getting better! I concur. The episode in season 4 after a traumatic event in her life (no spoilers) proved she's a good actress (Carpenter is I should say.) Even my wife, had to give her props for that scene in particular. I told the Mrs. "Maybe Michael C. Hall is rubbing off on her."

And I concur, the Morgan family is the best trio of characters.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (610 customer reviews)

$42.99 $14.99