5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it promises: Makes it fast and painless to create a will, November 9, 2012
This review is from: Quicken WillMaker Plus 2013 [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I suppose that I could go through all the options in Quicken WillMaker Plus, but I'd be doing so purely for the purpose of writing an in-depth review. However, my needs are simple. And for me, the bottom line is that those needs were met.

A few years ago, a friend's mother died. Mom had no will. Scott thought that it would be fairly straightforward to deal with her estate, since after all, there were just a few kids and there wasn't all THAT much in the way of assets. But over the course of MONTHS, during which he had to drive to-and-from Mom's city from his own several times, Scott learned just how painful and expensive it could be to die without a will; I heard about it at length. I told myself, "Okay, I'm going to learn from his experience"... and then I didn't do anything about it. It's been a few years, and this has been a Round Tuit I didn't get.

So when I was offered Quicken WillMaker in my Amazon Vine selection, I said Yes. I hoped that it would make it easy for me, the no-legal-genius, to put together a very simple will for my husband and myself. (It's just us and the cats, after all. Nothing fancy.) And I got exactly what I wanted. In fact, for that basic will, it took less than a half hour to put together BOTH our wills. Now all I have to do is print out the documents and get them notarized.

My point here is not depth (which I must leave to someone else) but convenience. The software works like, well, tax software. It asks you questions and you choose or type in the answers. It explains the options when they aren't obvious. And when I was all done with MY will, and said I wanted to do the one for my spouse, with my assent the software automagically flipped things around so that all I had to do was read through my husband's choices to ensure they were what he wanted.

So far, I've only used the option to create a will. Since _that_ was so easy -- enough that I can reassure you that it is No Big Deal if your choices are obvious, like "I leave stuff to my spouse" -- I will soon go through it again to create the documents for Health Care Directives, Health Care Power of Attorney, Living Will, and so on.

Others may be able to tell you about the software's suitability if your options are complex. I can't help there. But I can assure you that if you simply want to ensure that you document your wishes (and don't want your family to go through more legal mess than necessary) this does the trick.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]