Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great with an iPhone 4, September 19, 2011
This review is from: Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter for Bluetooth Audio Devices (Personal Computers)
It was between this and the Belkin one. Reading the Belkin reviews about range, I opted for this one even though it cost $6 more at the time. First impression was that it is so easy to setup, at least with the iPhone 4, but I can't imagine it being more difficult with other Bluetooth A2DP audio players. You don't need to enter any codes, just press the connect button on the device (LED will start flashing green), go into the Bluetooth menu on the iPhone and select the Logitech adapter. After it connects the LED becomes solid green, that's it! However, the iPhone will not automatically connect to it next time, you have to go to the Bluetooth menu on the iPhone and connect to it again manually. That's probably a good thing in my case because my wife connects with her iPhone too sometimes so we don't want it to automatically connect to mine or hers. This might be a little cumbersome to some, but at least you don't have to go through the initial connection process again, i.e. pressing the connect button, the 2nd time you connect, even if you have paired multiple devices to it, like both my and my wife's iPhone... not sure if there is a limit on how many you can pair at once though. The only hassle I found is disconnecting, you either have to turn off the Logitech adapter (i.e. unplug it) or turn off the Bluetooth radio on the iPhone (or go out of range I suppose). Perhaps I missed something about how to disconnect, please let me know if I did! Also, if nothing is connected to the adapter, the led will be red.

The range is very good, good enough for my needs. I can get about 25 feet away from the device before it even hints at dropping the signal, and that include one wall between the adapter and my iPhone AND if I stand directly between the two. I'd imagine line of sight without obstructions could get at least 30-40ft, but I'm sure it would also depend on the Bluetooth radio in the audio player you use.

Sound quality is darn good, this was my biggest worry because I am connecting it to an Onkyo receiver, albeit a slightly older model TX-SR502. I can't say I have the best speakers (Polk RM6005 and PSW10), but they are good enough to tell the difference between, for example, a 128kbps encoded MP3 and a 192kbps one. Furthermore, all the MP3s I play from my iPhone are at most 192kbps so it's not like I have the cleanest source material to begin with. That being said though, I have no complaints at all about the audio quality. For all intents and purposes, I cannot tell the difference between the Bluetooth A2DP and a direct wired connection out of the dock port. A cool thing I have on my receiver (and probably a lot of other ones too) is that there is a switched A/C outlet on the back of it that turns on and off with the receiver power. I just plug the A/C adapter of the Logitech into this outlet so it automatically turns on and off with my receiver, it's as if I had a built in Bluetooth radio on my receiver :)

A few things about interfacing with the iPhone 4.

1) When connected to the iPhone 4, you can still control the volume via the iPhone. This is something I didn't expect because when I think line-out, I see this device as a wireless line-out, I only expect to be able to control the volume via the receiver it is connected to. I suspect this added volume control might degrade the sound quality a little bit. Regardless I can see how it might come in handy even if I will almost never use it. Good thing is, by default the Bluetooth A2DP volume control is at max, which makes it a decently loud input signal to your receiver.

2) When the Logitech Adapter is powered off when still connected to the iPhone 4, the iPhone is smart enough to stop playing music automatically, kind of like unplugging headphones while playing music.

3) Sound effects from games and YouTube videos, etc... are directed over the A2DP wireless signal too. (PvZ on surround speakers anyone?!)

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the product, but I don't think it's worth $40 though, maybe $30 tops, it's such a simple device. But I was in a hurry to get one so I didn't wait.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 19, 2012 4:04:43 PM PST
L. Ortega says:
Hi I'm really interested in purchasing this same product you did but I have a few questions I'd like to ask you before I do so. I am also an iPhone 4 user and I'd like to have my audio wireless. The speakers that I actually have are also by Logitech. If I were to purchase this product, would I be able to connect my phone wireless to the 'Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter' and then the adapter to my speakers. Here is a link to the exact speakers I own. Logitech - LS21 2.1 Stereo Speaker System would it be possible? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 2:59:56 PM PST
Mark Oberg says:
The answer to your question is that this will work with any headphone, receiver or speaker system that has a stereo analog input. In the case of the speaker system, you want to use one which has some kind of amplification built-in. I took a quick look at the LS 21 system and it appears to have that.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 8:12:32 AM PDT
The reviewer below you mentioned that turning off the power to the Logitech adapter causes the device to then forget any devices that were paired. So you come out ahead by saving electricity and yet have the hassle of repairing every single time the adapter is plugged back in. You didn't mention this, but did mention you like to automatically turn off your adapter with an a/c switch. Are you/are you not seeing issues with having to repair your audio devices every time power is restored to the adapter? Is the issue with how long power is off to the adapter? (the longer it's off the higher the chance of pairing being forgotten?). thanks. Great review.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 9:22:41 AM PDT
amazong says:
Apple charges much more BECAUSE their products are "simple" as far as the user is concerned. This product is extremely simple to use and simple looking. It is worth a little more than the competitors due to the great simplicity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 11:27:48 PM PST
A. Pao says:
Hope this isn't too late of a response, but, no, I don't have a problem "repairing" my iPhone with the Logitech, it stays paired, even when I remove power from the Logitech with the switch outlet on the back of my receiver... HOWEVER, I must go and select the Logitech from the iPhone Bluetooth menu each time to connect it, it will not automatically re-connect with the Logitech, which is what I want; I do not want my iPhone to re-connect to the Logitech without me explicitly telling it to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 10:23:13 AM PST
Do you get an annoying Beep every time your unit is paired with the Logitech? I have a competitive device which plays my phone calls and keyboard clicks even from another room. So I constantly disconnect the bluetooth as I don't want to play my phone calls over the whole house. Then, when I reconnect, the speakers make a loud BEEP which also annoys the whole house. Anyone else with same experience?

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 12:19:57 PM PST
Mazi says:
i have hearing aids that are connected by a streamer to my iphone 4. do you think this devise will work for streaming tv to my iphone. my hearing aids are oticon. the do sell a devise that looks like this and if your phone rings when watching tv the streamer will disconnect the tv and answer the phone. i would just get their product but it costs $125. this devise seems to do the same thing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›