1,848 of 1,894 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Regarding the Brother SE-400 sewing & embroidery machine, April 26, 2010
This review is from: Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing and 4x4 Embroidery Machine With 67 Built-in Stitches, 70 Built-in Designs, 5 Lettering Fonts (Kitchen)
I just purchased a Brother SE-400 computarized sewing and embroidery machine from Ken's Sewing and Vacuum Center via Amazon.com. It arrived within three days. So far, I am VERY pleased with this machine.
Loving embroidery, I decided to purchase the Brother SE-400, as it had all the features I wanted and it was within my price range. Prior to my purchase, I read all the web reviews I could find on the SE-350, as there are barely any reviews yet for the SE-400 (new on the market). Noteworthy is the fact that the SE-350 and the SE-400 are the exact same machines except for the additional computer connectivity that the SE-400 possesses. The SE-400 has a port for computer connectivity and comes with a USB cable which helps connect directly the sewing machine to your computer. This is an advantage over the SE-350 as this feature allows you to upload embroidery designs directly from the web(or your computer) to your machine, and update your machine's operational software from Brother whenever updates occur.
The SE-400 is compact enough, comes with a handle at the top, which makes it truly portable. Even though it is relatively lightweight (compared to my good 40-year old "all metal" Kenmore), the SE-400 feels sturdy while sewing and it is a very easy machine to operate. The manuals that came with the machine are very well written and the diagrams easy to follow. It took me only a few minutes to figure out how this machine operates. I love the self threading feature of the machine, as well as the built-in thread cutter, bobbin sensors, and drop in lower bobbin.
I was also delighted to find out that the embroidery part of the machine has the following built in features: You can reflect an embroidery design; and rotate the design 1 degree, 10 degrees, or 90 degrees at a time.
I appreciated all the enclosed accessories that came with my SE-400. I wished though that it came with an additional large embroidery hoop too, besides the medium hoop. I guess I will have to buy a large hoop sooner or later, if I am to become more involved with machine embroidery.
The SE-400 is a good choice for a home sewer. I give it a 5-star.
One more note. If you are looking for a hard carrying case for this machine, I highly recommend the Brother 5300 universal hard carrying case. It is the perfect fit for it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 38 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 158 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2010 3:42:10 PM PDT
M. G. Britt says:
Thanks for all your information you provided. Can you tell me if the machine makes button holes? A friend of mine told me to look for this feature when making my purvhase for a sewing machine.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 1:01:34 PM PDT
Absolutely! It makes all sizes buttonholes.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2010 4:31:39 AM PDT
Liv says:
With the lettering, does it allow for spacing so you can embroidery several words at a time (at least two)?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2010 12:55:15 PM PDT
B. Brown says:
I have been sewing for years. I am mostly interested in being able to monogram things that I sew (and bought items like towels, etc). Would this machine be a good choice for me?

Posted on Oct 2, 2010 9:58:01 PM PDT
What a useful review - thank you so much! One more question: does it make eyelets? (like a tiny round buttonhole.)

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 3:04:55 PM PST
Roberta says:
Wow! This is a great review. Thanks.
Question...can you convert your own designs to embroider? If I have a Jpeg or Bmp file, can I convert them and use as embroidery designs or do I have to use the designs given? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2010 11:14:13 PM PST
H. Chang says:
I have this machine. It can embroidery several words at a time, but the size for each character is the matter. The embroidery area is only 4"X4", no matter any size hoops.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2010 11:19:02 PM PST
H. Chang says:
"PE-Design" software can covert your own designs to embroider. The machine itself or the software with the machine cannot do it.
"PE-Design" software can covert most of JPEG or BMP files, but do not too details (such as photo.)

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 11:00:44 AM PDT
Alyson Burd says:
I have never embroidered before and would really love to learn how to, would this machine be good for a beginner? if not which machine would be best. im looking into machines that do the embroidering for me. also does anyone know of any good books for beginners of embroidery. is it easy to get into?

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 3:29:08 AM PDT
Starting research on buying the SE400 and was wondering about the embroidery side of the machine. Need to do names on a flat surface and like to use the block font about 3/4 inch to a full inch size. Will this be a problem?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next ›