3.0 out of 5 stars Great juice but auger is chipping / scratching......., June 30, 2009
This review is from: Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Juicer - Black and Chrome (Kitchen)
HERE IS MY UPDATED REVIEW:
I promised an updated review here once my official verdict was in on this juicer, so here it is. Please see my original review, still retained here below.

I still will say that this juicer makes great carrot juice, no doubt about it. However I have found it to leave wheatgrass juice pulp more wet than I had expected it to based on other reviews.

Omega did, without any complaints, send me my replacement parts to determine if my auger was defective. The only problem here was that it took them... now let me think... I believe it was four separate shipments to actually get the order correct. And then in addition to that they said they were going to send me a mail tag to send the incorrect parts they sent me back for free, however, they never did, so I have parts to their other juicers that I would not use in this new model as well. Overall if I were rating their customer service / support, I would give a few separate ratings:
- Over the phone customer support in terms of speed at which they get you your replacement parts under warranty: 5 / 5 stars
- The probability that your warranty replacement order will be correct when you receive the package: 1 / 5 stars
- The probability that you will be taken care of if you email the company instead of calling them: 0 / 5 stars
These ratings are REAL numbers based on my experience.

Regarding the chipping auger, I have had better success now with the replacement auger. The erosion of the auger doesn't appear to be nearly as bad at all. However with that said, I believe that by the very nature of how this machine works, the plastic on metal action - and especially so when grinding foods using the blank plate - there will nearly always be some erosion of the auger, in particular for the first few times of use until I guess I could say the auger makes a "good fit" with your juicing or grinding plates.

The replacement auger I was sent had a chip out of it brand new. Then they sent me another one and it also had a noticeable chip out of it but in an inconspicuous place that would not harm the juicing process, so I left it alone at that point. These are just defects, I think, from the molding/manufacturing process.

Overall, yes this makes a great juice, and I've also used it to grind up almonds and dates and cashews and such things to make really great tasting nut bars. This machine does a pretty good job overall but as you can see you really play back and forth with what level of quality you are expecting from the machine itself in various tasks vs. the customer support as well. I have never tried the green star juicer because of the higher price but I suspect that would be the next step up from this one, with possibly a drier pulp - however i have never tried that juicer.

I believe that overall if at all possible you should try to find a way to use a juicer for a little while before you buy it, if you can locally in your area from a friend, etc. It would really help in your buying decision as to whether you really want to juice in the first place, and then which juicer is right for you. For now I have decided to sell my juicer and just stick with my vita-mix blender which I really love. I know it is definitely not a juicer, but I feel like I would have just rather bought a grain mill or something with my money instead of this juicer. If you are really in to juicing and know the ins and outs of what you want out of it then maybe this machine or a better one is for you, because it does perform, but I just can't handle all of the extra things that I found issue with that "came along with the juicer" as described above and below.

I hope this helps someone. I suspect there are higher quality juicers out there for critics like myself, but I am not prepared to spend more money now to find out, and I don't know anyone that has a green star. I think that for now at least, juicing is just not for me.

HERE IS MY PRIOR REVIEW:
I purchased this juicer and it arrived in the mail yesterday. I purchased because of the other great reviews out there for it being a great juicer all-around for pretty much everything, along with the great price. It seemed like the perfect package.

Let there be no doubt, this really does produce a great quality juice. I am a little nervous, however, about one thing. I washed all the parts for the first time and then I proceeded to make carrot juice with some greens in it, and then also tried some frozen bananas and strawberries to make a sorbet. Both recipes were very successful, and, the cleanup was also very easy. Although I should mention I had to partially thaw the strawberries as they were just too hard for the juicer to initially accept them.

My concern is that after cleaning and drying the auger, I noticed that even after only the very first use of the machine the auger has scratch marks on it - some of them noticeably deep. The scratch marks are from places where the auger comes in to contact with metal that is on the inside of the juicing screen. Also when I hold just the auger and the juicing screen in my hand and turn the auger inside of it, you can hear and feel how the auger seems to catch on something during the rotation.

I am currently giving this juicer a rating of three stars because although I have found it to produce an excellent quality juice for carrots and greens alike, the fact that plastic (or whatever the auger is made of) is slowly being added to my juice and the pulp makes me wonder if that is healthy!

I would greatly appreciate anyone's comments on this as I should also note that I am new to juicing, however, I have thoroughly examined the machine and how to assemble it and don't believe I've done anything which would have contributed to such easy scratching of the auger.

I have emailed Omega to ask about this concern but have not heard back so far (it's been 1 day since the email was sent so I'm giving them more time). I imagine they must be busy right now with the high demand for this new juicer.

It is my hope that I will be able to eventually up the rating from 3 to 5 stars, however, how could I with plastic chipping in to my food? I leave the rating at three stars because it really does make excellent juice, but at what cost (plastic in the food)?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 2, 2009 4:32:23 PM PDT
I think you should have waited until you heard back from the company before giving a lower rating. Especially since I don't think you can retract a rating! (I'm not positive that it can't be changed, but am pretty sure.) Maybe you got a defunct one, and there's a part sticking out that's scratching the auger, and obviously they will replace this, if that's the case. PLEASE be sure to re-edit your review later, if you can! Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2009 7:15:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2009 9:33:33 PM PDT
UPDATE: I have now updated my main / first post in this thread.

Yes I will certainly make an update here as soon as I hear from them. I have emailed them twice and am still waiting to hear back.

Posted on Nov 2, 2009 10:24:28 PM PST
Doug Gilbert says:
I purchased this juicer and did some detective work (I am an engineer). The problem is NOT the auger, but the screen. Read my review for more details, you are not crazy, except to drink juice with whatever this unnamed plastic really is and what it may do in your body.

Posted on Nov 2, 2009 10:24:52 PM PST
Doug Gilbert says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2009 11:32:26 AM PST
M. Silverman says:
I feel like the people that have problems with this are juicing things that are frozen, hard, and maybe a little too much to expect from a juicer. Why not just juice fresh fruits and vegetables instead of frozen berries?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2009 11:52:05 AM PST
The carrots were just refrigerator temperature.

The wheatgrass was room temperature, fresh out of the pot of dirt it grew in.

The strawberries I tried were frozen as I said in my original review, and it worked better if partially thawed. This is one of the selling points of the juicer, that it will make frozen sorbets. While this is true, I have found this to be easier and more practical in my vita-mix instead.

M. Silverman: I agree that folks should probably just juice fresh fruits and vegetables, and two out of the three I tried above were just that. And while frozen foods are possible to an extent, I found it to NOT be an ideal use of a juicer, which I believe is what you are also saying.

My problems did not come from juicing frozen items. My primary issues with this juicer was the plastic erosion of the auger during normal use with refrigerator and room temperature items such as carrots, my disappointment that I could still wring out the pulp afterward and get more juice out it with a fairly easy squeeze of my hand around the pulp, and finally, the customer service which seemed to be lacking and not integrated well enough to even get replacement orders correct after multiple shipments of parts (and they don't check their email very often either).

I had heard legendary things about Omega, but it seems in my opinion, based on what happened to me, that they've got some quality and customer service issues to iron as-of recent. I wish them the best in these regards, and hope all of these comments will produce results to that end.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2010 3:37:23 PM PST
Mrs. P says:
The manual suggests the following:

* Fruits can be cut into pieces and then frozen prior to juicing them.
* Juice can be frozen in ice cube trays and those cubes can be put
through the machine.

Perhaps the user was just following the advice of the manual--a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Typically, I download and read manuals prior to purchasing a product. However, in this case, I'm also glad that I read the review as I could have been mislead by the advice in the manual.

Posted on Jan 17, 2010 5:00:40 AM PST
It seems to me that you want a blender and you are expecting a juicer to perform like a blender-plus.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2010 6:44:06 AM PST
K. Dunn:

If you look at the issues I have that strictly pertain to juicing and not those functions which could double as a blender, those were my primary concerns, such as:

- The plastic auger rubbing and chipping off during normal juicing operations with items like refrigerator-temperature carrots and room temperature wheatgrass

- My ability to very easily squeeze a notable amount of additional juice out of the pulp ejected from the machine (although I admit I have no other juicer to compare against for this, I had been under the "impression" that the pulp would be much more dry)

- The multiple times that customer support either did not answer my emails or got my multiple repair orders shipped to me incorrectly, only to have to order more parts when the incorrect ones were shipped

Of the above concerns my primary one was regarding the auger design. I really don't like the plastic which scrapes along the metal interior, and it does chip off.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2010 5:23:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2010 5:37:08 AM PST
I can verify Richard's findings of the auger grinding against the metal screen mesh. I have been stuck with an Omega 8006 juicer since May of 09 with the same problem. I send them the defective juicer and they send a replacement with THE SAME PROBLEM. Replacement parts have the same defect as well. Customer service has been a real flop as well, Omega is categorically denying any problem at all. If this was a good company they would be backing up their product 100%! Maybe I will contact that engineer to ask how he used his dremmel tool to modify the juicing screen, since I have a juicer which juices its own parts now! COMPLETELY USELESS! DO NOT buy this juicer unless you want to be out $ 450! (Canadian after taxes)
To make things worse the retailers don't give refunds for used juicers....
Here is my last email to their repair department.

Jeff I did not receive that email. Obviously if I had received that email I wouldn't be asking you what the status on the refund was. Please resend it to me.

As I said before a simple inspection of the auger would have identified the issue with both juicers. I do not understand why Omega is not accepting responsibility for this especially when I showed that others are having the same exact problem with their 8006 Omega juicers.

I will not recommend this juicer to anyone. I will post my experiences online and inform my friends. I will look into my rights as a consumer.

Your repetitive intimation that I don't know a defective juicer when I see one is very insulting because I am a very intelligent and coherent person. Your apparent defensiveness about the omega juicer stems out of you taking what I am saying personally. When a customer tells you that there is some kind of defect in your product then you should not take offense to it.

The statement that you made "I am still using the one in our kitchen and works great." is not relevant at all since many small adjustments to manufacturing can be made at any time, so some juicers may work fine (depending when it was manufactured) and others may not and there may be small variations in auger and metal screen dimensions which would perpetuate something like my situation. That same issue might not happen in other juicers. Just because some juicers do not grind the auger, does not mean all juicers work that way. That's some serious false logic that you are using if you believe that because your omega 8006 works fine then all 8006 models work just as well.

Each replacement juicer that you sent to me had the same auger grinding defect in spite of what you claim. These same defects were also mentioned online by other people in an email that I took the time to send to you. Regardless of the fact that Omega did not sell me the juicer directly, a full refund of the purchase price should be given. Omega was given the opportunity to correct the defect with replacement juicers.

Multiple mistakes were made on Omega's end one of which included the specific request to have my replacement juicer assembled and turned "on" to verify that no auger grinding takes place. I received the juicer assembled but it hadn't been turned "on". It does not matter if the juicers sent to me were from another state in the US, this is still Omega's communication problem. So the second I turned the juicer on it began grinding the auger and producing visible plastic strips on the auger itself. The longer the juicer was left running the more plastic was ground off. The second replacement juicer had the same result only it was not assembled when I received it.

Another error that was made was when you personally said to me "when shipping juicers back and forth the customer pays to send it to Omega and Omega pays to send it back to the customer." So as per your advice I shipped a juicer back to Omega at my expense of $55. Then you changed your story and said that Omega will send me red tags so I don't have to pay to have these juicers shipped. I was also told that Omega will cover the cost of sending the juicers back to me, however each juicer I received I had to pay $10 in taxes and duty. Bringing the total to $75 of my own money spent. Then after all of this you said that your company changed its policy with shipping juicers and that you are no longer sending out red tags. So there were three different stories that I received. This is unacceptable and unfair to change the rules in mid stream while attempting to rectify this situation.

Given that your position has always been that there is no manufacturing defect I was convinced that at least 1 of the 2 replacement juicers would have corrected the grinding problem, both you and I were wrong.

Please forward this email to your supervisor. I continue to await information regarding my refund.

Brad Clark
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (1,538 customer reviews)
 (1,184)