5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Quiet Little Inverter-Generator!, June 13, 2010
This review is from: Yamaha EF2000iS 2,000 Watt 79cc OHV 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator, CARB Compliant, Blue (Lawn & Patio)
I purchased the EF2000iS 2,000 watt inverter-generator for extended fishing trips for charging 12 volt marine batteries and for running corded power tools in remote areas. At first I wasn't sure if the 2,000 watt model would be enough power to meet my needs, but I decieded to take a chance with it because of the price, and boy am I glad I did.

It easily powers drills, grinders, skill saws, table saws, sawzalls, and portable cement mixers - pretty much anything that draws under 16.7 Amps. Most power tools draw up to and under 15 Amps. My industrial right-angle concrete drill only draws 8 Amps, and that thing is rugged. It's more than enough for my needs for working in the woods where I can't just "Plug In."

Another thing that's slick about it is it also charges marine batteries and has its own special DC receptical and comes with the included cable. You just fire it up, hook up the terminals to your battery, then plug in the cord. It doesn't have a charge meter built in, so I purchased a hand held battery tester and check the charge level once an hour. I think the battery tester was under $30 (a good investment).

With that in mind, I used it last Memorial Day weekend during our Men's Family Fishing Trip out at Johnston Pond camp here in Maine, out in the woods roughing it with tents. The area is surrounded with small-ish ponds, so my dad and I brought our little skiff and trolling motor with us (too small ponds for our larger, 2-stroke boat). We brought two 12 volt marine batteries with us to make sure we could spend the whole day out each day, then that evening charge one or the other up so it was ready for the next day. It worked great, we didn't have to worry about running our batteries low and having to paddle all the way back to the landing. Peace of mind is nice.

This unit really is really quiet. There were five of us on the fishing trip, two younin's - my friend and I, and three old farts - my dad, uncle, and elderly cousin. They complain about everything (old people tend to do that, haha). I figured someone was going to say something about the generator being noisey and I'd catch hell for it or something, but actually, everyone did nothing but praise how quiet it was. After it's been running for 15 minutes or so, you kind of forget that it's even there. Unlike our neighbors at a site a ways away from us, who had an old style generator that they ran at night, we could hear them having to hollar at each other in order to talk.

On top of all that goodness, since it's an Inverter as well, you can also safely power computers, charge cell phones and iPods, run a tv and DVD player, and plenty of other things, if that's what you're into while camping, or in an emergency situation.

It starts up really easy. Mine started first pull right out of the box (make sure to put oil in it first, it's not included), and still does every time. If you run it on Eco Mode (tv's, appliances, ect.) I'm not sure how long the tank will last you hour-wise, I haven't used it for that application yet, but in full power mode, meaning you're constantly getting the amped up rpms for more amperage, the one gallon tank lasts for about 6 hours or so. I'd figure that it'd almost double that in Eco mode, and it's twice as quiet. You can stand right next to it and it's like a little humm.

I give the Yamaha EF2000iS five stars hands down for the price and performance. I'm really happy I didn't go ahead and go with a knock off lesser brand. It was well worth the extra money for something that's going to be reliable and dependable. There's no sense in paying $500 or less for something that's just going to be junk in a few months.

If you need a medium duty Inverter-Generator, I highly recomend it. You will enjoy it. It's also very light and compact. Transporting it isn't a problem at all.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]