6,251 of 6,391 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great design, features, and most importantly, suction., November 5, 2011
This review is from: Black & Decker CHV1510 Dustbuster 15.6-Volt Cordless Cyclonic Hand Vacuum (Misc.)
(UPDATE: December 9, 2014: I still have this dustbuster (yes, the same one) and I still have no complaints.)

I've read all the reviews and I'm here to clean up those who have trash-talked this dustbuster. I do not work for Black & Decker or Amazon.com. I also do not hold any stock or interest in the aforementioned companies, but I do have an interest in spending my money wisely. So, when other consumers write misinformed, misguided, inaccurate portrayals of a product that is otherwise perfect, I feel the need to scrub their comments until all the residue is gone. Here's what I found:

To begin with, no rechargeable hand-held vacuum is designed to last anywhere near an hour without recharging, and no rechargeable item with such a large battery pack will recharge in mere minutes. So, for those who make this claim, they are imbeciles. For the reviews that state it only operates between a few seconds and a few minutes, you obviously have a rare lemon. I'm quite certain B&D would not knowingly produce a 30-second dustbuster. Quit complaining and exchange it.

On a side note, for those who wish to dustbust their entire fleet of autos, B&D as well as other manufacturers sell hand-held vacuums with cigarette lighter receptacle plugs that are powered by your vehicle. Those will last you until your car battery dies. Otherwise, quit being lazy and pull out the wet/dry vac, we all know a dustbuster isn't going to completely clean that Brillo-style vehicle carpet anyway.

Second, at just over three pounds (not the 4.6 pounds of the entire box + contents), the reviewers who wrote that this appliance was too heavy must be drunk... which for comparison, your average bottle of wine weighs more than this dustbuster. Also, the guy who claimed he got a hand cramp after using the dustbuster a few minutes probably needs to pull out the full-sized vacuum in order to develop some muscular endurance. I, for one, would not readily admit this weakness on one of the most popular consumer websites.

Third, I don't know why people are "scrubbing" surfaces with their dustbuster. I was under the impression that it was a vacuum cleaner, not a rag, sponge, or scouring pad. If your "scrubbing" causes the extension to retreat back into the nozzle sheath, then quit riding your dustbuster like a pogo-stick. This nozzle has a locking mechanism at the base. Go look at it. You see it now... that little arrow... push down on it. Wow! Amazing! I've tested it using my bathroom scale. It takes more than 25 pounds of direct pressure, yes 25 POUNDS, to override that lock. If you can't figure out this simple device, you should probably not be using any electrical piece of equipment.

Next, this model has one of the highest rated suction power of all battery operated hand-held vacuums. This is one of the main reasons it was given such high marks by Consumer Reports (again, I have no ties to this company). If you can't pick it up with the 15.6V of power provided, then it was never designed to be picked up by a hand-held vac.

Finally, not that this is even worth mentioning, but for those who complained about the charging method... really? It's the same as every other rechargeable item that you probably now own. Take "Adaptor A" and plug it into "Port B." Not that hard. But there are so many people who have complained that the recharging prong is no longer built into the docking bracket. Oh, the humanity!

As I stated in my opening, I am very particular about how my money is spent. I compared and tested most of the available models I could find during a month-long search and feel the $45.00 spent on this dustbuster has been well worth the price thus far. Good luck on your search, and remember, it's a dustbuster, not a teleportation device. Don't expect your science-fiction dreams to come true while you're cleaning up cookie crumbs. If you still feel like complaining, pull out the old broom, dustpan, sponge, and bucket... cleaning the old-fashioned way will be the only thing that sucks more than this dustbuster (pun intended). Enjoy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 330 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2011 8:50:00 AM PST
Olga S. says:
Thank you so much, this has to be one of the most awesome reviews I've read on amazon so far. I just wish you'd also address the noise issue - apparently it's so loud it makes some people's kids cry, haha.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 3:48:48 PM PST
Momofthree says:
Bravo Ben! This world is filled with morons! Its part of entitlement problems in this country!

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 1:18:30 PM PST
Thank you for your review. I have my new one charging for the first time and the nozzle on my desk as I read a few reviews. I probably would not have realized about the locking mechanism of the extension if it weren't for your review. If you just pull it out until you meet resistance, it isn't enough to make it lock and it really is not obvious that there IS a lock. The little arrow to disengage the lock can be seen as just a (unnecessary) notation on which way to slide it to put it back to its collapsed state.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 2:26:49 PM PDT
M. Hess says:
LMAO....way to TELL IT LIKE IT IS FRIEND!!!!
and thanx for the honest & great review!!!

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 4:26:10 PM PDT
Excellent review! Very comprehensive and helpful. I too am particular about how I spend my money. Your review has helped me to put this product on my "wish list" and I'll buy it soon. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 1:21:21 PM PDT
With all products having lovers and haters it is sometimes difficult to shake out fact from fiction. Your review has helped me immensely. I also review items to death before purchase and am often left confused. Thank you for clearing up the "dirt" about this one! I just ordered mine.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 9:58:30 AM PDT
mickey says:
Black and Decker CHV1510 hand vac. Question re: replacement filters. What kind do you use? Does the V100 work in this model? Another concern: does the charger come with the product?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 10:55:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2012 11:03:35 PM PDT
1) The charger does come with the vacuum. 2) I do not know if the V100 works in this model, I do not waste money on replacement filters- they cost too much and do not last long enough to justify their cost. I took the filter that came with the vacuum and carefully removed the filter liner leaving just the plastic frame. Then I took a "Viva" brand paper towel (other paper towels are not nearly as strong nor filter well enough for this purpose) and wrapped it around the circular base of the filter frame, used a small piece of tape to close the loop, then made the appropriate cuts to ensure the paper towel would fold around and cover the inner filter opening while fitting inside the outer plastic filter cover without compromising the suction power of the vacuum. I, again, used a small piece of tape after folding all the paper towel sides to the inner frame, making what looks like a paper cup-sized paper towel filter. It may sound difficult, but it only takes a few minutes. It's more difficult removing the original clothlike filter without damaging the plastic filter frame. If you use this solution in lieu of purchasing new filters, ensure that you wash the outer plastic filter cover and dry thoroughly before putting the "Viva" paper towel in place. I change the paper towel filter after the vacuum fills up, but that's because I'm sucking up cat litter. The frequency in which you have to change yours will of course depend on what you're vacuuming.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 3:23:45 AM PDT
mickey says:
Re: the Black and Decker 1510 hand vac. Thank you for your response. It is amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it. I think you are creative and I plan to follow your instructions. Thank you

Posted on May 4, 2012 4:12:56 PM PDT
La Mancha says:
Too funny! It's a rare art to be able to be this, shall we say, properly sarcastic and still stay on the gentle side as you lay out the facts. I'm about to buy this. I wonder how it ranks compared with the 14.4 powered one? Anyone know? With the great Amazon sale price, the difference is small.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 33 Next ›