4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, March 10, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player (Electronics)
Bought the DMP-BDT220 to replace a DMP-BDT110 that Amazon agreed to take back after the return period had already ended. That player was terrible. From day one it suffered from constant audio and video dropouts when watching both discs and Netflix streaming. I decided to let it ride hoping an eventual firmware upgrade would cure the problem but that didn't work. So I read that Panasonic had just released their 2012 lineup of Bluray players and I decided I would give them one more chance. I own many Panasonic products and most of them are top notch so I was hoping the DMP-BDT110 was just an anomaly.

The 220 arrived today and I quickly connected it using only an HDMI cable and the power cable since it is wifi capable. It connected with no problem to my network and after entering my password, Netflix worked fine - no video problems, no audio problems. Time will tell if that continues. Popped in a Bluray disc to check that out and watched for a few hours and once again - no video problems, no audio problems. Things are looking good.

I can't speak whatsoever on the 3D aspect of the player because I don't have a 3D TV. I bought the 220 just to get the Viera Connect feature which includes Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Streaming. In 2D, picture quality and audio is great for both discs and streaming.

The remote is fine but I use a Harmony remote so it will probably just be put away.

The only negative things I have to say about the 220 is I find the menu system to be a bit clunky and when you get into the Viera Connect menu button pushes become a little laggy. If every net connected device worked like Roku, the world would be a better place.

So in conclusion, I'm pretty pleased with the 220. I got rid of a cable on the back, in the brief time that I used it the dropouts seem to have been corrected and the picture and sound are great.

Last, I would like to thank Amazon for taking the 110 back because it was legitimately beyond the return period. That's why I like Amazon, that's why I am an Amazon Prime member and that's why I will continue to spend money with them.

Update - May 19, 2012: After two months of working fine, I put the Chronicle blu ray in tonight and the player wouldn't play the disc. It kept defaulting back to the Panasonic home screen like it didn't have a disc in. I unplugged the player for a minute and plugged it back in. The disc was recognized but then when the movie started, the audio began dropping out every 5-10 seconds. We took the disc upstairs and it played flawlessly on an older LG blu ray player. After the movie ended, I took the disc back downstairs to try and diagnose the problem. On a whim I turned off the BD Live feature and the disc played fine during the portion that was dropping out previously. Maybe just a fluke but that's still not functioning properly. I'm going to monitor but if it starts doing it again, I am returning the BDT220 and then I am done with Panasonic blu ray players.

Update - June 2nd, 2012: The BD Live off wasn't the fix. Did some more research and it sounds more and more like it is an HDMI handshake issue involving copyright protection on discs.

I ordered a set of the latest version HDMI cables and if this doesn't work, I am going to get a Sony BDP-S390.

Update - July 15th, 2012: Didn't get around to using a new HDMI cable but I haven't had any problems since the Chronicle blu ray disc.

Update - June 5th, 2013: Pleased to say that after several firmware updates, it is playing nice with everything EXCEPT The Trailer Park Boys box set.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2012 2:43:03 PM PST
T. J. Irvine says:
If you are in the middle of a Blu-Ray movie and power down will it remember your place and let you resume where you left off when you turn it back on? It's a convenience that means a lot to me so I'd appreciate the feedback.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 6:57:42 AM PDT
J. Layman says:
Tried it last night TJ. If you power down during the middle of a movie, it does not resume where you left off when powered back on.

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 5:10:05 PM PDT
GJZ says:
Is the front of it two-toned or is that a shadow? Thank you.

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 8:07:31 PM PDT
B. Bunn says:
Thanks for the review. I have a question about the rear USB port. The Data Sheet here on Amazon states that the rear USB is only "for communication camera only". To your knowledge does the rear USB port not work with USB hard drives or flash drives? Does only the front USB slot work in this fashion?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 11:26:04 PM PDT
J. Layman says:
The front is a darkly tinted, translucent door. It flips down to insert a disc. Not two tone.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 11:27:00 PM PDT
J. Layman says:
From what I understand, the rear USB is for Skype only.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 8:25:15 PM PDT
Jose says:
Thanks for the review. I just got a BDT210 and found two big problems with it that I hope have been fixed in the 220: 1) Netflix black flashes - sounds like this is better now? 2) Aspect ratio problems: when streaming, the aspect ratio setting doesn't work. I have a 4x3 tv (this is so I can get Directv), and while the picture from this player is really quite good (best I've seen), all internet videos that are natively 16x9 get "squished" onto my 4x3 tv so that everything looks taller and skinnier than it should, and the aspect ratio setting produces absolutely no change in picture no matter what I set it to - it has no effect at all. I would have expected the correct ratio with something like a letterbox appearance when I set it to "4x3 Letterbox", like what I got with a Sony BDP580 (didn't like this player for acoustics reasons).

The only streaming video that looks OK for me is natively 4x3, an old Star Trek tv episode from the 1960s via Vudu (not the one that says "Digitally Remastered", but the other one that says "The Original Series").

I was wondering, if you had some spare time: if you stream Star Trek The Original Series from Vudu on your HDTV, I'm assuming the BDT220 would stretch it horizontally to fill your screen if you had the aspect ratio set to 16x9; so you'd get that horizontally "stretched" appearance. But if you set it to 4x3 Letterbox, would you get the correct 4x3 aspect ratio with "sidebars"? If so, maybe that could be an indication that this problem has been addressed.

I don't understand why Sony can make 4x3 streaming videos look OK but Panasonic hasn't at least for me, when Panasonic appears to have the better device overall.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 11:37:38 PM PDT
LIFE IS GOOD says:
I'm also curious if the Netflix black flashing problem has been fixed in this version. I just discovered that my BDT210 has this serious problem today and I'm ready to return it. Its just too bad because this was a pretty capable player, but the black flashing problem is just unacceptable to me, when my Samsung Smart TV or PS3 can stream Netflix perfectly with no black flashing issues!

J. Layman, the way you can check this black flashing problem is to watch a HD netflix movie stream. If you notice any black flashing, where the screen goes black for a sec, then comes back, then the problem is still not fixed. I'm sure many people here would appreciate if you could check to see if this problem exists in your updated player. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 11:02:06 PM PDT
B. Bunn says:
Any sign of the MLB.tv app on the new Panasonic players?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 3:30:03 PM PDT
J. Layman says:
I had that problem with the 110, which is the same player as the 210 except no wireless. I have not had that problem with the 220. So far everything has worked flawlessly with no flash or dropouts.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (1,548 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $84.62