Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars Sharp imagery, firmware stinks, December 9, 2013
Quality of the images met my expectation for a 2 MP camera. Good low-light performance, but not IR sensitive, contrary to what a few people have said. Moderate barrel distortion from the wide-angle lens, not an issue in my application.

My main complaint is the awful motion-detect capability built in. Email notifications with pictures have a time on the mail that is consistently 15 hours behind actual time, even though timestamp on the pic, and time inside the email are correct (I'm GMT -7).

Many notifications arrive with no attachment, and I get lots of "Motion DetectStop" emails, which aren't interesting. Motion detect built in the $70 super low-end cameras isn't great, but it beats what this thing's got. I'll be switching to Blue Iris or something similar, but sometimes you just want the camera to handle this.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 18, 2014 7:50:33 AM PST
You're dead right. I've been using one for two years, I think. I think its firmware is maybe a year old. I can't update to the newest because I've heard there are problems with its FTP function. I don't use DVR software on a PC. I currently have this camera set on MAX sensitivity because anything less and it was losing events going right through the motion detection squares. Of course, even now it will sometimes miss out on massive events, though for the most part it's streaming 24/7. Of course, this is because on anything but low sensitivity (which isn't usable because you'll miss events you really want) it is constantly detecting things that aren't there. A flicker of a leave, or even the camera changing its exposure will fire its own event.

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 5:44:49 PM PST
Security Guy says:
Can I recommend using DW Spectrum software. Awesome motion detection feature. You do need to buy from an authorized installer or distributor. You can get a 30 trial for 4 cameras at their website.
Also use the smartphone app. idmss for iOS or gdmss for Google. It has a push config feature that alerts you when motion is detected and allows you to go straight to live video.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2014 5:53:39 AM PST
phoneguy says:
OK I'll take a look at that software. I'm currently using BlueIris, which does work with the cam.

Is new firmware available for the cam, last time I looked at the Dahua website saw lots of utility programs, but no actual firmware.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2014 12:18:52 PM PDT
I have to agree with you with the firmware thing. I just did an install with 8 of these things and a Synology for a buddy. I let the Synology do the Motion Detect...not trying to sell it, but it is honestly amazing. He (and I, as I still have it sending me the message so I know if its broken before he calls) hasn't gotten one erroneous motion detect inside his store. Some of the lower traffic areas are only set to record after motion detect, where main entrances and outside are continuous record. Saves on space big time. I had hoped for a better firmware response from the maker, but I just took them out of the loop and use the ONVIF features of the Synology and let a more qualified product do its thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2014 1:08:02 PM PDT
That's the way to go. I really think the motion detection in the camera itself is pretty poor, but if you throw some third party software it's much better.

Posted on Sep 7, 2014 4:40:58 AM PDT
AH says:
My favorite software is now Sighthound for Mac or PC. Very intelligent user interface that is easy and intuitive to setup and use.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2014 6:34:02 AM PDT
phoneguy says:
Looks quite nice, but pricey compared to alternatives. If they're going to give a time-bombed demo, it ought to include more feaures like remote access to let you see everything it's capable of. I'm still on BlueIris, it's full-featured but a lot of work to set up. Doesn't support some other cheap cams I've got in use.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›