5.0 out of 5 stars I think the formatting is fine!, March 24, 2011
This review is from: A Game of Thrones 4-Book Bundle: A Song of Ice and Fire Series: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows (Kindle Edition)
I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about the formatting of this bundle -- my copy has a TOC at the front with links to each book and has a separate TOC for the chapters of each book -- so it seems like everyone else's probably has this too. When you open the bundle for the first time on your Kindle, it doesn't take you to the actual beginning of the book (I've found this to be true of basically all Kindle books -- what it considers "the beginning" skips the cover, table of contents, forwards, etc.). If you use "Go to" on the menu and then choose "Cover" (again, something I do at the start of every Kindle book), you will be brought to a picture of the box set. Three page turns brings you to the Contents page, which has links to the cover pages of all 4 books, as well as the bundle cover, title page, and the bonus material at the end (including the excerpt from A Dance with Dragons). If you don't choose a link from this page and instead turn 4 or 5 more pages or so (through the title and copyright pages), you'll come to the TOC for the first book. I would think that it probably doesn't give TOC as a choice on the Go To menu because there is more than one table of contents to choose from!

In addition, as you can see on the bottom progress bar, the start of each book is marked with a dot on the bar. So you can judge your progress through a particular book by seeing how far away you are from the next dot. Also, from the cover pages in the beginning, if you hit the right arrow on the directional pad, you will be taken right to the cover page of the next book. Hitting the left arrow takes you back to the start of the previous book. This will work from any cover page. If you are in the text of the book itself, hitting the left or right arrow takes you to the start of the next or previous chapter. If you have a Kindle 2, you would push the 5-way controller left or right.

I haven't begun reading this bundle yet (though I have read all the books previously -- twice), so I can't comment on the text of the actual bundle -- though of course the books themselves are fantastic! I have browsed through it, though, so I can tell you that the maps are all there as well as picture covers for each book as well as a picture of the box set. The beginning pages of each chapter all have an illustrated border at the top, and the text itself looks great (no problems with text formatting that I can tell).

I also can't complain about the price, since I preordered this for $17.99, which was a great deal for all 4 books. I would agree that the price is kind of high now, but it's really pretty much the same as the 4 books separately in Kindle editions. As it says at the top of the product page, the price was set by the publisher -- not Amazon.

So, in summary, I really don't see the problems that the other reviewers are pointing out. If you are wanting all 4 books for your Kindle, either because you haven't read them before or because you want your next re-read to be in Kindle format, this is a great way to get them!

Edit 3/31/11:
Amazon has updated this book set, and there is now a link in the Go To menu for table of contents, which brings you to the page at the front with clickable links to each book. This page was already there, but now you can get to it from the Go To menu instead of having to go to Cover and page forward.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 18, 2011 5:09:01 PM PDT
Harley Brook says:
Nice to know the formatting isn't the trainwreck it's made out to be. Although I know it's the publishers and not Amazon, I'll be waiting this one out and will keep my eye on the Kindle set for another price drop, as there's no way I'm paying $36 for the digital versions when the print set is nearly half that.

Posted on May 16, 2011 7:40:02 AM PDT
Machiavelli says:
I bought the 4 book bundle and I have to admit I was confused about the progress bar at he bottom, but PinkKindle's explanation explains it nicely! These books are great so great that I am refusing to watch the HBO series until I am finished reading all 4 books. I understand what everyone is saying about the price but I did not mind paying the $35.99.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 8:41:32 AM PDT
It's a pretty crap thing the publisher is doing in this case with the Kindle version. They're basically making the price of the Kindle version equal the price if you bought each book separately on Kindle - and actually, it's a few pennies more for the bundled version. It doesn't make a lot of business sense to me. If you're so worried about undercutting a price, then why release a bundled version at all?

As a new Kindle owner (one week today) I've seen a few other instances where the pricing for Kindle is off - and Amazon makes it very clear that those prices are set by the publisher. So, to all the publishing houses out there... get off your darn high horses and get with the program.

Digital versions of books should be profit for everyone involved. No printing costs, and more importantly - no shipping or warehousing costs. The only reason I can see for the publishing houses to stick it to the consumer on the digital versions is if Amazon is paying less to the publishing houses for the digital versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 9:11:07 PM PDT
Heres a tip for Kindle owners...READ the instructions on how to use it. That way you will know what the progress bar does, how to access the table of contents, title page, and how to turn pages etc!

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 12:55:28 PM PDT
M. Kinsey says:
I'm curious...now that a few months have passed and you've presumably read the book, do you still think the Kindle version functions properly? My menu doesn't work--it only jumps to items related to Book 4, not the book I'm reading. I made the mistake of trying to look at a map (which is too small to read), got lost in the wrong book, and then couldn't get back to the page I was reading. Very frustrating.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 7:10:51 PM PDT
PinkKindle says:
Yes, I've had the opportunity to read this bundle on my Kindle now, and I'm currently almost done with book 4 (at 95% of the whole bundle). I have not had a single problem with it at all. If I hit Menu/Go To and then choose Table of Contents, that link still takes me back to the page with the links to all 4 books -- this works the same way regardless of what book I'm in. I'm not sure how you got into book 4, but once you are there, the Kindle is going to think that that's the furthest you've read to. However, you could just use the Go To menu to go to your location if you know it, or go into the book you were reading (from the page with the links to the books, or just go back to the cover and page forward) and go into the table of contents of the right book and try to find the chapter you were in if you don't know your location.

This is no different than any other Kindle book you lost somehow lost your place in -- or even a paper book for that matter. Sometimes your bookmark falls out and you have to search around for your place again. It happens! However, I have read through this whole bundle, and I haven't had a single problem with it. I have also paged around, looked at maps, looked in the appendices, etc., and I haven't had any problems with that. If you go to a different location in the book, you can just hit the Back button to get back where you started from.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2011 8:16:11 AM PDT
M. Kinsey says:
Mine doesn't work that way at all. When I do menu/go to/contents, I get the Book 4 contents. Sometimes the back button takes me back, and other times it goes home. It's bizarre. I've had the Kindle for a year and read books with footnotes, illustrations, and appendices, and this has never happened. I'm working around by placing bookmarks whenever I turn it off or decide to leave a page (like to view the map).

Thanks for the help.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 8:27:31 AM PDT
I am a new kindle user, I've received it in Greece two days ago, and I am thinking starting from this bundle. I take your words as granted, because I also think that everybody should do what I 've been doing for these two days... Read the manual, it's not a waste of time, it's everything. I am not at all convinced that a product like this (an electronic book) could work so variously, I am convinced that the whole think has to do with the kindle's owner. So, I am going to order it now, and let you know in a few days whether I encountered any problems.
Thanks again for all the information and the tips.

PS: By the way, which do you think is better? To download the book to my Kindle Mac or directly to the kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 9:00:28 AM PDT
M. Kinsey says:
I would order each book individually--I think they are easier to navigate that way. But perhaps you'll have better luck with the bundle than I did. Definitely download directly to your Kindle if possible. It's quick and easy and eliminates the need to sync the Kindle. Good luck--and enjoy your books!!

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 1:33:21 PM PDT
I'm pleased with this bundle, but have one problem. I'm now reading book two and always have page 695 out of 695. Is this normal?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›