Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a great camera, December 20, 2012
This review is from: Canon EOS 6D 20.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens Kit - Wi-Fi Enabled (Electronics)
I guess my requirements in a camera are different than anyone else's but here goes. I have been a working pro for over 30 years and have always used the most basic cameras you could imagine, Hasselblad and 4x5 Toyo. Frankly, I don't give a rats rosy red rear end about WiFi, GPS, in camera video etc. They are beside the point as far as I'm concerned and usually are just things that keep the old Canon vs Nikon thing going. The only thing I care about is the quality of image coming out of the camera, and I thoroughly object to paying for a camera body that will be out of date in four years that cost more than I paid for my Hasselblad with three lenses. That said this camera body fits in very nicely with my needs. Who says it's a consumer or prosumer body? Are you kidding me? It's a camera and having the six thousand dollar body or the five hundred dollar body doesn't make you a pro; you do! Now that I have vented here's what I see. Image quality is as good as you will get from a digital camera at this time. The grain and crispness of the image on my 27" MAC monitor are excellent. The first time I used the camera it was amazing how quiet it is; very quiet. There are some things I don't like about the focusing system but that has been the case on every autofocus camera I've ever used. The camera will not get it right everytime, however it is very fast and quiet in focusing. I also have a 60D and use it a lot. The single feature that I see on the 60D that is absent on this body is the articulating screen, but not for the reason most people think. I do a lot of studio work and one thing I hate is for the client to ask is they can see the raw image, or they try to sneak around the back of the camera to see what's on the monitor. With the articulating screen I just turn it over and no image appears on the back of the camera. They just assume it's the way "professional" cameras work since their camera has a picture that pops up immediately after it's taken and the question never comes up. I like this camera a lot; really more than the inevitable comparison camera body; the 5DMkii. I rented a body for a week to see if I liked it. After doing nearly 1,000 images with it, this will be the camera body I get. Very good camera and unless you're going to abuse it I have a very hard time understanding why it is that there is such a kerfuffle about it having a polycarbonate body and not an all metal body. I don't know about you but if I have to use the camera in the middle of a rain storm or eastern New Mexico dust storm I put a rain coat on it. If I drop it I expect it not to work so to me the ruggedness, or lack of ruggedness is a silly argument. This body is definitely the most "bang for the buck" if you're in a Canon system. If you're in a Nikon system you have my deepest sympathies.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 7:54:50 PM PST
Ale says:
One of the best reviews i ever read. Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:55:59 PM PST
I second that!

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:22:26 PM PST
OpticShape says:
Very good review, however please consider inserting some blank lines here and there to make it easier to read; if you could edit it, would be great. Thanks for the review :)

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 5:14:48 PM PST
Hi.
I have a canon 7d, and I want now full frame. 5d mkII or spending a bit more for 6d? Just like you I care about image quality most of all. But I do like the focus of my 7d, and really I'm doing amazing work with this APS-C sensor. Will my final images be better with 6d? What do you think?!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 5:44:38 PM PST
Your images will only be better if you are better. The only advantage of the 6D over what you are using is the larger sensor which will allow you to get the full frame on any Canon lens that's compatible. This is a very useful tool if you use wide angle lenses a lot, which I do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 8:04:33 PM PST
R. A. Boren says:
Roberto,

I am also trying to decide between a 7d, 5d mark ii, or the new 6d. I would pull the trigger on a 5d mark iii without thinking much about it, but it's out of my price range. To answer your question the 6d will outperform the other two in low light higher ISO's, with the 7d lagging behind considerably. Image quality of the 6d is on par with the 5d mark iii at higher ISO's. the 5d mark ii starts to suffer some from noise at higher ISO's compared to the newer 5d mark iii and 6d. I will end by saying that you can't go wrong regardless of which full frame you choose.They all produce great image quality, even the older 5d classic (mark i). This is all my opinion based off of months of research comparing cameras. I will add though that of all the photographs i have observed during my research there is something magical about the images produced by the canon 5d mark ii. i would consider myself a beginning photographer who's observations have been completely based on what my eyes see comparing images from these cameras. When I first began studying images from crop and full frame dslr's the Canon 5d mark ii kept popping up over and over, but once again my opinion. Due to my research I am now going to purchase Canon . when i first started researching and studying images i was Nikon all the way and would not have even considered a Canon.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 11:24:07 AM PDT
Your images will only be better if you are. I have a friend who does really amazing, and articulate, photographs using his i-phone. He is currently working on a project of skype-portraits where he does a screen capture from skype and then makes it into a portrait of amazing quality. It's the photographer, not the camera; always!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 11:26:05 AM PDT
One more thing. The only reason I want to get another camera, like this one, is because the full sensor will allow the lenses to give a wider angle image.

Posted on May 8, 2013 11:26:20 PM PDT
AllieW says:
Nathan, loved your succinct review. Thanks. I have Canon and Nikon systems, and I find both have their strengths and drawbacks; I'm curious why you feel so distinctly about Nikon? Your comment in any case, made me laugh. I was also wondering if you were to rate video quality between the 5d II and the 6d, how markedly inferior in your view, is the 6d with its moire issues? I care far more about image quality with stills, but I've wondered about this as my other body is a d700 and I've hesitated to sell my 5d II for the 6d since Canon will be my only source for video. Again, thanks.

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 6:16:58 PM PDT
I couldn't have said it any better Nathan... you nail it with your review. I am a pro, and have been a long time Canon EOS system owner.Most recently, prior to getting the 6D, I had a 7D and wanted to upgrade to full frame. Without hesitation, I was willing to take a chance on the 6D... had my budget would allowed, I would have went with the 5D (what a savings).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›