5.0 out of 5 stars he was super freaky yeah!, January 21, 2010
I don't agree with the few people who said the book was bad due to editing etc. Of course the book wasn't cleaned up from the way Rick wrote it but that's what made it so Rick James to me and afterall it was his biography written the way he wanted to tell it.

As I read Super Freak, it was as if Rick himself was reading it to me. The raw, gritty, rauchiness that he tells his story with with, makes it even more heart felt. You could really feel his love for the art of music from the way he described the instruments with different layers and textures. I never paid attention to all this big band talk he did but now that you think about it, you really don't get that kind of music anymore, it's all studio based now.

I can tell a lot of the book was cut due to maybe lawsuits being filed, if nothing else Rick was RAW when writing his story! Rick dropped some heavy stuff and kept it real, like Teena being possibly gay and her obsession with him. His drug binge partners Steven Tyler, Rod Stewart, Christopher Reeves, Jack Nicolson, Herbie Hancock and even a Russian Princess and the list goes on.

Rick was before my time since when he was at the top I was in the first grade hollering super freak not knowing what I was really talking about but I like everyone else, just liked the song. I've had this book for three years and could never bring myself to read it until after I was doing reseach on fire and desire. Reading the little I did on the internet made me run to my bookcase and snatch this biography out. I started reading it Friday and was done with it in three days and this is reading while at work and in between time. Otherwise, I'm sure I would've read it in one day. This is by far the best biography I've ever read. Patti LaBelle's Don't Block the Blessing was my fav life story, but it has been replaced by Rick James's Memoirs of a Super Freak.

Besides all of the journeys he took you through that spanded darn near forty years of his life, Rick James gave you insight into the mind of an addict. It wasn't all pretty or glamourous even though he lead the life of a mega super star, it was in your face real. I love the stories about Prince. I can see him running and jumping over a fence trying to get away from Rick lol!

Super Freak is a wake up call if nothing else. Just imagine the career Rick James would've had if not for drugs. Think of the happiness he could've really expeirienced being drug free. The saying goes sex, drugs and rock-n-roll go hand in hand but it's just a cliche and up to the person on what goes for them. Before reading this book, when I heard the name Rick James I would immediately think drug addict, what a joke, worthless, mean and down right nasty based on the stories I've heard from the media. Now when I think of Rick James I'm like, what a talented, generous and loving man he was despite his short comings. I would LOVE to see a movie made about Rick James's life it would be a blockbuster I'm sure.

In closiing: When Rick was good he was good but when he was bad...because he's Rick James BYOTCH!!

The Confessions of Rick James Memoirs of a Super Freak a must read!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2010 1:28:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2010 5:39:27 PM PDT
Good review, Ms. LeDiva. I don't know if you have any Rick James C.D.s. but I have all his studio titles except two (GARDEN OF LOVE and FIRE IT UP) and recommend any without qualification. What a great talent we lost way too soon.

I will read MEMOIRS OF A SUPER FREAK but can you tell me if it mentions Rick James's friendship with Jim Brown? I ask because Jim Brown tells an incredible anecdote about Rick James in his 1990 autobiography OUT OF BOUNDS and would like to know if James answers it in MEMOIRS OF A SUPER FREAK.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 9:02:57 PM PDT
Ms LeDiva says:
Yes he does mention Jim Brown as being a real friend, one who didn't sugar coat things with him. I need to get his music for my iPod, I believe my husband have some of it so I'll go from there.Thanks for the comment!

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 5:03:44 AM PST
"Rick James I'm like, what a talented, generous and loving man" I doubt RJ was as loving as you paint him out to be if he was accused of torturing women and spending time in Folsom for it. Torture is not a shortcoming, it's a crime committed by a sick person. I think RJ was very sick.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 8:27:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 29, 2012 8:41:52 AM PST
cat man says:
Rick james was CLEARED of torturing any women and that is a fact! Yes when you are a drug addict you do stupid and crazy things and those who hang out with drug addicts to party are as equally stupid. When a rich celebrity lets is guards down when drugged out it is very easy to be set up like in this case one of the women got 1.8 million. There were a few contradictions in this case and james's girlfriend did get a 2 years reduction on her sentence and Rick did not do that much time in prison (2 years,23 days of A 5 years sentence). It is my opinion that all involved in this mess were guilty of being drugged out and stupid.Regardless of all this insanity Rick james was a very talented musician and that is another fact.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 2:28:14 PM PDT