5.0 out of 5 stars Ahhh, MFC-9970 is better than the MFC-9840CDW, February 10, 2011
This review is from: Brother MFC-9970CDW Color Laser All-in-One with Wireless Networking and Duplex (Office Product)
I just received my Brother MFC-9970CDW a little under a week ago. So far, the print quality is significantly better than what I experienced with the Brother MFC-9840. It's almost night and day with regard to color quality. I never liked the quality of the 9840, but the 9970 provides me with much greater color quality. They certainly made an improvement in this area.

The 9970 touch screen is nice to have also. It's not a "Wow" factor for me, but it's something different, but nothing to be desired.

The 9970 seems to be made with cheaper quality plastics, which seems to make the printer a bit more fragile, but we'll see how it holds up...I've only had it for less than a week. But with that said, the 9970 also seems to be a bit more (and only a bit more) slim compared to the 9840.

My only problem thus far with the MFC-9970 is that the installation cd that came with the printer did not work properly on my Windows XP laptop. I had to go to Brother website and download the most recent installation drivers and software package. This delayed my setup of the printer a bit, because I had to restart at least two times before I realized I should just try the Brother website. Once I did, I didn't have any other problems installing the printer drivers.

I can now use my printer for business presentations and not having to run to Staples or Kinkos because the 9840 color print jobs were too embarrassing to show any client. Glad I took another chance with Brother with the 9970 because I'll finally get my money's worth.

I haven't really checked out the Control Center 4 that comes with this printer model, but hopefully they've made some improvements here too.

I'd recommend this printer to a small business looking for an all-in-one copy/print/scan/fax solution.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 6, 2011 11:41:53 PM PST
who1zep says:
Thanks for the comparison to my current Brother, the 9840CDW, on which the colors are awful unless your colors are solid (and you hide the original :)

Posted on Mar 20, 2011 5:19:11 AM PDT
It's been about 5 weeks since your post - any changes in performance? I'm about to purchase one, pending a good report card...

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 3:50:11 AM PDT
Skeeme08 says:
I'm still very pleased. I haven't encountered any glitches based on my use of the printer. I've used the ControlCenter4 several times an even this software has put a smile on my face. I had challenges with ControlCenter3 with because I could never get my scanned items to go directly to email. However, with this version (CC4), it worked without a hitch.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 4:18:24 AM PDT
Thanks a lot! I just ordered one...keeping my fingers crossed that my experience mirrors yours. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 9:33:54 PM PDT
thanks for you review. i too was quite underwhelmed by the color print quality on the 9840 but quite happy with the scan function. one thing i noticed on the 9840 was that scan to email was very very slow while scan to ftp was quick. i even went so far as to set up a local network email relay to no avail. after looking at it with a network analyzer verified that it was the printers fault and just used scan to ftp after that. have you tried scan to email on the 9970?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2011 12:25:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2011 12:27:13 PM PDT
Dogged says:
Looks like you are at more than 6 months.... still very pleased?

I was going to get the MFC-8890DW to supplement my MFC-8860DN which does automated duplex scanning via a second pass of the document through the scanner.... (I also have a backup MFC-8840D which is useful with envelope runs...)

Am I correct that the MFC-9970CDW seems to handling the duplex scanning in just one pass of the document which speeds up the process. Can you also scan "legal" size documents in the same one pass manner?

While not a deal breaker.... does duplex printing still require two passes of the paper?

As may be evident, it is all about the document handling for me rather than color print options. Thanks to anyone with experience to share.

Woof!

Posted on Jul 16, 2011 7:09:18 AM PDT
Delyn says:
Do you have to purchase the ink in addition to the the printer?

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 6:55:41 AM PDT
Printfresh says:
Hi I'm wondering if your printer beeps when you send a print job? How would you categorize the sound level? My printer is making a loud and sustained beep which is coming from the printer (some have suggested that it may be coming from the UPS - mine is not connected to a UPS). Comments from other owners would also be welcome.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 10:06:18 AM PDT
Skeeme08 says:
Here's my almost six (6) month update. Last month, I started seeing little dots on my color prints, followed by the message that I needed to replace my black toner. My initial thoughts were, "Ok, I'll get the black toner, install it, and the dots will be gone." Nope...it wasn't that easy. I continued to see the colored dots all over my colored prints. (Remember, I raved about how great the color of the prints had improved from the previous Brother Printer I owned.)

I called brother, spent two hours on the phone. I think I spoke with people from all over the country represting brother...felt like I had traveled the world in two hours. But that's another point of discussion. I finally spoke with a gentleman named Eric in Brothers Warranty Department and I was informed that there is a known defect in Brother's Drums, which causes such dots. They are sending me a new drum unit for free because it's covered under warranty. Brother is suppose to be working to fix the problem, but unfortunately for me, if the drum goes out again within after 6 months have passed, then I'm simply S.O.L. because my warranty would have expired.

So, if you purchased this brother unit and are seeing dots on your colore pages (not black pages), you should call them immediately to get a new drum unit while it's still under warranty.

Overall, I'm still happy with the functions of the printer, just not pleased with this issue. Hopefully, I will not have to go through this again, or if I do, hopefully I'll still be within my warranty.

I made a suggestion to Brother to extend the life of the warranty for the drum unit especially since they are aware of this problem. Hopefully they will take head to it's loyal customers. Otherwise they will lose customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 10:10:42 AM PDT
Skeeme08 says:
I haven't tried scanning legal sized paper. So, I can't comment. Duplexing is done automatically by the machine and it seems as if it automatically feeds the paper twice, but I haven't had any issued with my duplexing jobs. I place the paper in, select the duplexing option I require, hit the button and out comes the document as needed. It works fine for me. Hope this helps.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›