5.0 out of 5 stars I Have Cookies Again!, January 18, 2010
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking (Paperback)
This is really a wonderful book. I'm not sure why I was so surprised to find this the case - I've read their website for months and always enjoyed their recipes and style of writing... but I think I had been so disappointed by some other gluten free cookbooks, that I was trying to not get my hopes up. Now, this and Carol Fenster's 1000 gluten free recipes are the first two books I reach for when its time to cook.

The flour blend works beautifully. My first attempt was their chocolate chip cookie recipe. I think in the 8 months I've had to deal with my celiac I have made 20+ recipes... and most ended up in the trash. Either tooth shatteringly hard, weird flavors, or a consistency more in keeping with Floam (the children's aerated play sand) than a cookie. Theirs? Chewy. Soft. Delicious! I have cookies again! I haven't been that excited about the thought of sitting down with a cookie and a glass of cold milk since I was 6.

Breads, soups, main dishes, desserts - all presented in a wonderful style. Great recipes, easy to follow - no weird ingredients that you can't track down! After months of not knowing what to cook - I can't wait to have friends over for dinner again. I don't have to worry that folks won't want "weird" food - its all wonderful. And just happens to be gluten free.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 9, 2010 7:18:34 AM PDT
Hi,
Looking for cookbooks that use flour blends withOUT corn and soy products in addition to no gluten. Wondering if anyone familiar with the recipes in this book can comment provide info about this. Love to cook, but been disappointed in the past with ordering books online, finding I can't make most recipes in the books because they have corn.
Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010 9:22:11 AM PDT
Sara J. Lutz says:
While I haven't tried it yet with this mix - I have swapped successfully tapioca starch equal measure for measure with cornstarch in a lot of my baking. Just take a look around for a local Asian market if possible, they are usually goldmines for celiacs looking for alternative flours at fractions of the cost of more main stream stores. Hope this helps at least a little.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2010 9:52:27 AM PST
Bee says:
I don't use corn or soy either and have always used a mix of 50% potato starch and 50% tapioca starch in recipes that call for any kind of starch and it works great. (I don't use arrowroot starch either, my son seems sensitive to it). They are easily found in any health food store. the brand Ener-G is not very expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 9:16:08 AM PST
DiMucc2 says:
Try Living Without Magazine as a place to start. Most flour blends have no soy or corn and where soy is mentioned sorghum is also listed as viable substitute. I have been able to bake again thanks to this magazine after 40 years of being a skilled home-baker.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 9:23:26 AM PST
Thanks for the tips everyone. I have potato and tapioca starch as well as every possible flour. Recipes tend to come out great and substituting for corn starch seems fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 9:30:43 AM PST
Bee says:
I subscribe to this magazine too. It's great and keep you informed about the new products on the market, the books, etc... :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (68 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $4.98