Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

1.0 out of 5 stars Major firmware issues/bugs with HDMI and DisplayPort. Stay away., August 18, 2011
This review is from: ASUS VE278Q 27" Full HD 1920x1080 2ms DisplayPort HDMI DVI-D VGA Back-lit LED Monitor (Electronics)
I bought this monitor after my friend demo'd it for me, and I fell in love with the brightness and size. But I've been having some issues, namely when using the HDMI connection on my laptop:

- Sometimes when the laptop tells the screen to go to sleep, the monitor will not wake from sleep. You must pull power plug to reset.
- Sometimes when the laptop shuts down, the monitor will start making static/scratching noises and will not stop. Power button doesn't do anything, must pull power plug to reset.
- Sometimes the buttons become "delayed"-- you'll hit power and it won't turn on/off until 5-10 seconds later.

All this happens randomly and I have to believe it's a firmware issue, not a flaw in my particular item. Not sure how they can push a firmware update for a monitor (if at all) but these issues really bring down the quality of such a nice monitor.

Overall I wouldn't recommend anyone purchase this monitor until ASUS fixes the issues.

** UPDATE 2014-02-07 **

I am downgrading my rating from 3 stars to 1.

I bought a Macbook Pro, and there are major bugs with the monitor working with DisplayPort. If you attempt to connect DisplayPort to your Thunderbolt port, when the monitor isn't on yet, turning it on turns the power light purple (??) and the monitor gets "frozen". The only thing you can do is unplug the powercord by hand. Then, disconnect your Thunderbolt plug, plug the monitor back in, turn it on, then plug in the Thunderbolt plug, and everything should be okay. This is totally unacceptable.

Also, the Macbook Pro sees the display as a "TV", so the color space is off. You have to manually edit color definition files on the Mac to make it send the full RGB signal color space. I don't know who to blame on that one.

With the DisplayPort issue, and the random issues I described in my original review, there are just too many firmware/software issues with this monitor. I regret buying it, and wish I had just spent a little more and gotten something with a better track record.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2011 5:30:01 PM PDT
Glenn Thum says:
It sounds more like a laptop issue to me. Sleep/wake mode transitions seem like a constant irritant with many "consumer grade" and some "business grade" laptops. Do you have the same problems with other monitors?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 5:47:09 PM PDT
N. Head says:
Don't have any other monitors to try with HDMI. Regardless of it being the laptop or the monitor's fault, the monitor shouldn't be able to freeze like that, no matter what. I've never had a monitor act this way in the 6+ monitors I've had over the years.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:21:32 AM PST
Chase says:
I have had the same problem with the monitor not waking up, I just have the toggle the input though. It just doesn't seem to auto detect the signal. It does not seem to be a software / video card issue as I have tried every tweak and update I can imagine for the software (drivers, video card settings, Windows display settings, power settings). The monitor also has very few settings on itself. There are also no drivers for the monitor, didn't really expect there to be though. Just seems to be a detection flaw.

Posted on Dec 10, 2014 4:35:19 PM PST
matt says:
I just received this monitor yesterday. I saw these reviews regarding display port issues and thought about returning the monitor since the display port was a factor in purchase. I have it connected to my mac mini with the display port. Have second Acer monitor connected to display port also with a display port to hdmi adapter. The Asus seems to work fine. I have powered the it off, plugged it into display port on mac mini then powered the Asus back up. No issues. Still testing but it actually seems better then my Acer in one way. When the mac mini goes to sleep this Asus display does as well. The Acer just says no signal. When I wake the mac mini up the Asus wakes up promptly too.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›