5.0 out of 5 stars The S in Sennheiser Stands for Superb, November 13, 2006
This review is from: Sennheiser HD201 Lightweight Over-Ear Binaural Headphones (Electronics)
Basically, I needed a new pair of headphones after I got tired of the Sony MDR-V150s that my roommate lent me. I did not like the idea of having the "cups" right ON my ear, and honestly, they did not sound all that great so I decided to do some searching. I looked at Koss(I did not like any of their models) AKG( I love them, but, for $100, I did not get involved with them.) So, I decided to search some more..

I totally forgot about Sennheiser headphones. I heard them once at an ultra high end home stereo shop in Tampa, Florida and they sounded damn good. So when I saw these for less than $20, I decided to buy them..

First of all, they arrived sooner than usual. I put them on and I noticed something...I could not hear any outside noise. These "cans" really kept outside sound out. They sat comfortably on my head and the "cups" covered my ears. Score!! Now, for the sound..

I listen to a lot of music that I have on my pc. I have a Dell Dimension E310 with the ORIGINAL sound card and I have the Mp3s on Musicmatch WITHOUT any equalization. First of all, I chose tracks at random, all kinds and I heard things that I never heard before. I noticed tiny "cracks" on Avenged Sevenfold's "Seciond Heartbeat." Something I did not notice with the Sony's. I listened to all types of music and found the sound TOTALLY clean. No hissing, no muddy or "sour" midrange. Female vocals sounded great. Even the low end sounded great, specially with house and trance music that have a lot of heavy bottom end to them.

BUT, I decided to try them on my Panasonic SA-XR55, which is a digital receiver, and I decided to "crank" it up. As I reached the higher volumes, the bass was lost, it sounded weak and muddy, but that WAS when I was pushing the receiver to its limits.

These "cans" are great for listening to music at REGULAR volumes. If you want a pair of headphones that you can crank them up loud so they can sound like a car audio bass challenge, go for something like the AKGs.

Great "cans" for the money, I TOTALLY recommend them.

So here we go:

Pros:

They fit great, with even a leatherret piece on the top band of the headphones to keep things cushy.

Great sound isolation. I can't hear squat once I put them on WITHOUT music.

Gorgeous sound at "normal" levels. I do not care if you listen to Rap, Christian, House or Trance, you will get a great sound out of these.

Built very well. They look like they do not move or swivel in the picture, but they do, and are very comfortable.

Cons:

NOT made for LOUD listening.

Not really digging the double cord that comes out of the headphones. Single sided would be better, but that is just me.

And to be honest, I cannot find anything else wrong with them.

So, if you just want to get some "cans" that are great sounding, without breaking your wallet, get these.

Trust me.

You will thank me later.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2009 1:06:42 PM PDT
Wow... What a great review. I don't know if I'll get these, primarily beacause of the Y-style cord, but I just might purchase them for the price and sound quality (if it's as good as you say it is:))

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 8:24:36 AM PDT
is the bass on these headphones really good compared to earbuds?

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 2:24:29 PM PST
The reviewer says that these headphones eliminate all outside noise. Based on this, he must be reviewing another set of headphones because these eliminate only about 10% of the ambiant sound in a room. In fact, the noise cancelling is so bad that it's hard to focus on the sound coming through the headphones.

I'm angry because I don't see any other way, short of lying, that this guy could have come to the conclusion that outside noise was not heard. And I purchased these based on his opinion. And so this is more of a review on a reviewer. Conclusion - do not trust this reviewer.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 5:02:32 PM PST
K. Singh says:
they do eliminate noise if the sound volume is turned up, but if you don't you will hear about 80% of outside noise. I mean come on, they cost 20 bucks... what do you expect?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 9:44:04 PM PST
What I expect is honesty in a review and the initial reviewer lied. You're right - for $20 they're fine. But not the noise cancelling the reviewer claimed and what I needed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 12:58:24 AM PST
Bryon says:
These aren't noise cancelling headphones, they are noise isolating. If you want noise cancelling you must specifically look for that, as they are there own niche. Try Antec's iso.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (2,062 customer reviews)
 (1,047)