Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

3,701 of 4,356 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this book, November 4, 2013
This review is from: The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon (Hardcover)
In the first chapter, the book sets the stage for Bezos’s decision to leave his job and build an Internet bookstore. “At the time Bezos was thinking about what to do next, he had recently finished the novel Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro, about a butler who wistfully recalls his personal and professional choices during a career in service in wartime Great Britain. So looking back on life’s important junctures was on Bezos’s mind when he came up with what he calls ‘the regret-minimization framework’ to decide the next step to take at this juncture in his career.” It’s a good beginning, and it weaves in nicely with what’s to come. But it’s not true. Jeff didn’t read Remains of the Day until a year after he started Amazon.

If this were an isolated example, it might not matter, but it’s not. Everywhere I can fact check from personal knowledge, I find way too many inaccuracies, and unfortunately that casts doubt over every episode in the book. Like two other reviewers here, Jonathan Leblang and Rick Dalzell, I have firsthand knowledge of many of the events. I worked for Jeff at D. E. Shaw, I was there when he wrote the business plan, and I worked with him and many others represented in the converted garage, the basement warehouse closet, the barbecue-scented offices, the Christmas-rush distribution centers, and the door-desk filled conference rooms in the early years of Amazon’s history. Jeff and I have been married for 20 years.

While numerous factual inaccuracies are certainly troubling in a book being promoted to readers as a meticulously researched definitive history, they are not the biggest problem here. The book is also full of techniques which stretch the boundaries of non-fiction, and the result is a lopsided and misleading portrait of the people and culture at Amazon. An author writing about any large organization will encounter people who recall moments of tension out of tens of thousands of hours of meetings and characterize them in their own way, and including those is legitimate. But I would caution readers to take note of the weak rhetorical devices used to make it sound like these quotes reflect daily life at Amazon or the majority viewpoint about working there.

For example, when the author does include people whose accounts of a supportive and inspiring culture contradict his thesis, he refers to them dismissively throughout the book as robots. In an archive of the thousands of thank you messages written to Jeff over the years, a small sampling includes “I just wanted to thank you for giving my husband the opportunity to work for your company so many years ago and let you know that he always spoke kindly and enthusiastically of the distribution center, the people and you.” “Having finished my shift I thought I would send you a short email to say thank you. There is a fantastic team based here and we have super support. Our mentors are true Amazon angels providing guidance and showing great patience.” “I cried as I read the Career Choice announcement on Amazon today. What Amazon is doing to help its employees is affecting lives in the most meaningful way I can think of. It restores my faith in humanity.” It seems like unbalanced reporting to avoid including the point of view of more people like these (and to use narrative tricks to discredit those who are included), given how plentiful they are.

In light of the focus in many of the reviews here and elsewhere on what the book “reveals” about Jeff’s motives, I will also point out that the passage about what was on his mind when he decided to start Amazon is far from the only place where the book passes off speculation about his thoughts and intentions as fact. “Bezos felt…” “Bezos believed….” “Bezos wanted….” “Bezos fixated…” “Bezos worried….” “Bezos was frustrated…” “Bezos was consumed…” “In the circuitry of Bezos’s brain, something flipped…” When reading phrases like these, which are used in the book routinely, readers should remember that Jeff was never interviewed for this book, and should also take note of how seldom these guesses about his feelings and motives are marked with a footnote indicating there is any other source to substantiate them.

One of the biggest challenges in non-fiction writing is the risk that a truthfully balanced narration of the facts will be boring, and this presents an author with some difficult choices. It may be that another telling of the Amazon story—for example, that people at Amazon have no secret agenda they’ve been able to keep hidden for 19 years, really do believe in the mission they keep repeating, and are working hard and of their own free will to realize it —would strike readers as less exciting than the version offered here. I sympathize with this challenge. But when an author plans to market a book as non-fiction, he is obliged to find a suspenseful story arc that doesn’t rely on mischaracterizing or avoiding important parts of the truth. I am grateful this is the era of the Internet, when characters in non-fiction can step out of books, as Jonathan Leblang and Rick Dalzell have done, and speak for themselves. Ideally, authors are careful to ensure people know whether what they are reading is history or an entertaining fictionalization. Hollywood often uses a more honest label: “a story based on true events.” If authors won’t admit they’ve crossed this important line, their characters can do it for them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 31 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 234 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2013 11:13:52 AM PST
Phil Simon says:
Mrs. Bezos - I understand that you lived this. Still, can you possibly claim to be unbiased? This is the best book on the company. Period. Maybe you don't like the portrayal of your husband?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2013 11:22:05 AM PST
Itisjimmy says:
Mrs. Bezos points to specific factual errors that she uses to suggest that if the basic facts are off so much how can any further conclusions be correct. It seems to me that yes there obviously would be bias but she avoids it by sticking to the facts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2013 11:24:31 AM PST
Gumboz1953 says:
I don't think she ever claimed to be unbiased. Just the opposite. She claimed to be a witness to what happened in the founding years of Amazon which the author, clearly, was not.

My question is: did he TRY to interview Bezos? Or his wife?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2013 11:28:50 AM PST
K. Mitnick says:
Absolutely right, Jimmy. The authors are entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to "their own facts". I have no personal knowledge of how Jeff Bezos runs Amazon, but as a long time customer, I can say with certainty that I've not found a company anywhere that respects its customers more than Amazon. And as a consumer of news, I was very happy to have heard that Jeff Bezos bought The Washington Post. Nothing but the best of luck to him and all the others at Amazon. Whatever you're doing, keep doing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2013 11:30:58 AM PST
Phil Simon says:
Stone never questions Amazon's customer-centricism. Is it supplier-, partner-, and publisher-friendly? A very different question.

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 12:17:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2013 12:40:37 PM PST
In the Prologue the author, Brad Stone seems to imply some sort of compliance on Jeff Bezos' part and implied authorization for this book in that he states "In late 2011, I went to visit "Tim" -- aka Jeff Bezos -- in the Seattle headquarter of his company, Amazon.com. I was there to solicit his cooperation with this book...." He doesn't follow up with, and no, I didn't get cooperation, or yes I did. The reviewer, having a front row seat in most of what happened would seem to know the score. The author, Brad Stone, is more than a little disingenuous for his omission as to what extent he did receive authorization from Bezos himself. Will we ever see a Bezos authorized biography like Isaacson's Steve Jobs that does include warts and all, and remains factual to the subject?

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 12:44:31 PM PST
Rich Stoehr says:
Thank you for your honest review, Mrs. Bezos. I was interested in reading this book myself (as a customer and as a recent Amazonian), but in light of the inaccuracies and truth-stretching, I think I'll skip it.

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 1:02:28 PM PST
I'm sure this is an unbiased review. I'd like to know how many of the situations described in the book Mrs. Bezos was there to experience directly. How do we really know if there are really inaccuracies or if Mrs. Bezos is really trying to rewrite history?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2013 1:03:48 PM PST
We don't know how much of this she lived and how much was related to her by her husband and others. That's the problem with her review and her assertion that parts of the book are not accurate...we don't know why her version would be any more accurate.

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 1:47:58 PM PST
After reading the excerpt that came out before the book's publication, I decided not to buy this book. Even from my personal knowlege (which is less extensive), I found the author's approach to be biased and sensationalist. I was particularly disgusted with Stone's characterization of Jeff. The Jeff I know is not a one-dimensional, maniacal person. He's a kind and charming man who also happens to be one of the smartest people I've ever met. Oh, and his laugh is delightful.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next ›