5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Speaker!, April 26, 2014
This review is from: Cooligg Indoor Outdoor Sport Shockproof Dust-proof Super Bass Stereo Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought this speaker for use on my catamaran (sailboat), which tends to be a very wet ride. While I haven't had a chance to use it on board yet, it has so far exceeded my expectations.

The speaker is moderately loud for its size and cost, and has decent bass too! I've held the speaker under the faucet and used it in the shower with no ill effects whatsoever, though the speaker is obviously not as loud when it's full of water. It takes a few hours to charge, but it has lasted me 10 hours or more off of a single charge. The bluetooth connectivity is simple, easy, and works well. One thing to note, however, is that the bluetooth only has a range of 20'-30', probably depending on strength of signal and interference. If the phone/ipod/etc. is in your pocket, the range is only ~20', but if it's on a table or in the air, it can go further. The bluetooth signal is pretty well blocked by doors and walls, so keep that in mind.

About the sound: The sound is excellent for the price, crisp and clear. It can't compete with your expensive stereo system, but it sounds great for a portable, robust speaker. It isn't going to be sufficient for a party, of course... but it would work well for background music. You'd likely have to turn it down to have a conversation next to it. Think of it like a small boombox. It would work well for say a barbeque or a beach outing.

My biggest complaint is that the flap that covers the charging port, on-off switch and input jack is not very effective. It's just a cheap rubber flap that doesn't stay down, so this speaker definitely cannot be submerged. I intend to keep it taped down and as dry as possible while on the water. Other complaints: the + and - buttons are press to change songs, or press and hold to change volume... but the press and hold does not work well. Doesn't bother me, because I plan on setting the volume with my phone and leaving it alone. I have noticed some distortion at full volume, so I usually leave it at ~90% volume.

The bottom line:
This speaker would be a good value at $35 even if it weren't waterproof/weatherproof and shock proof. The fact that it sounds good, lasts a long time, and is waterproof to boot really surprised me. I would give it a 4.5/5 for the flap, but again, at this price, I'm very pleased with the purchase.

EDIT:
I lost my first one (the lanyard ripped through the hole from a lot of bouncing and sway... my fault, didn't secure it well enough) and bought a second. The second had a much better, recessed flap to cover the charging port and audio jack. The new flap kept splashing water out very well. However, I capsized not long after, and it ended up submerged for ~20 minutes, and proved that while significantly weatherproof, the speaker is not fully waterproof.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]