4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I Hoped!, July 13, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Walk It Out - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Before I get into reviewing the game, I want to say right away I gave this 4 instead of 5 stars only because of the way the camera controls work. You need to move the Wiimote in the opposite direction of where you want to look (point up to look down, swing left to look right); this is very difficult to control, especially when walking in place. If the camera actually moved in the direction you pointed (the way the cursor does when clicking) I'd have rated this 5 stars without question.

I will not take up space describing how the game works--plenty of people before me have done a fantastic job explaining the various ins and outs of the game. Instead, I will tell you how this game, more than anything else, has gotten both my wife and I up on our feet and not only exercising, but looking forward to it, and even playing longer than planned. We hate exercise, and it shows. Walk It Out, however, makes us want to work out, and this game is a work out if you select all the "fast" songs in the list. I find I almost forget I am actually being physically active because I am so focused on looking for specific things or amassing enough to purchase an item. There is no way I can say that about any other exercise I've tried. I want to do this, I make sure I have time in my day to play this game--I never did this for exercise plans!

Just this morning I started up the game for a quick 20-minute session; an hour later, I had to scramble to get ready for work. How many of you can say you were almost late for work because you were having too much fun exercising? Anyone who says this game is boring can't be doing it right. The island is a decent size with several criss-crossing pathways, and there are over 4000 items to purchase. I've walked just under 20,000 steps in one of my sessions and that only bought me a handful of the items...not even enough to clear out one of the smaller park areas! Instead of this being discouraging, I am actually motivated to walk *even more* to try to buy more things the next time I play. Item prices range from 10 to 1000, so you can get almost instant rewards by clicking on the low-cost items (potted plants, park benches), or take a little extra time to build up for the really big things (bridges, lighthouse, park fountain).

For anyone who is a serious couch potato like I am, this is the game for you to start getting some exercise into your life. You can do as little or as much as you want each time you play and there is really no way to "fail" at this, so you never get fed up or discouraged. There isn't a computer character competing against you or any tricks you need to press the right combo of buttons to get through--you just walk in beat to the music and collect chips by doing so. I wish I had found this game sooner!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 15, 2011 8:31:44 AM PDT
Good review. I've had Walk It Out for a little over a year, and am down 60 pounds, with just 8 pounds to go until I reach my ideal weight. The nice thing about Walk It Out is that gameplay is continuous, as opposed to other exercise games out there which pause at the end of each exercise as the Wii loads the next one.
I personally like the camera controls. I feel like I'm clicking and dragging the picture in the direction I want to move the picture. Maybe an option to set up the camera controls to each person's preference would have been nice.

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 7:46:27 PM PDT
Mandi says:
I totally agree with you about the camera controls. Sometime it takes me forever to get the view back to where I want it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2011 12:08:54 PM PDT
R. Martin says:
I accidentally discovered that if you click the A and B buttons together, your camera view is returned to front and center. Just make sure you aren't aimed at the screen or you might hit one of the bubbles!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (593 customer reviews)

$60.00