5.0 out of 5 stars Such a beautiful book with beautfiful writing and beautiful photos!, November 29, 2011
This review is from: The Oprah Winfrey Show: Reflections on an American Legacy (Hardcover)
This is such a beautiful book!! This book would certainly be an excellent gift for anyone who loves (and misses!) the Oprah Winfrey Show! This is one of the books that you would display on your living room table.

Since I am currently unemployed, I decided to take this book out from my local library. I "pre-reserved" this book and boy, do I wish I could keep this book!! The photography in this book is absolutely top-notch! When looking at all of the images, I feel like I'm there!

The book flows so well. Deborah Davis, the author, writes so eloquently and concisely. Davis is clearly a very talented writer. Throughout the book, I just wanted to keep on reading!

Basically, the book is a 238 page essay about the Oprah Winfrey Show. Scattered among the narrative about the show are GORGEOUS photos and touching essays about Oprah's legacy. Essays are written by Gloria Steinem, Maria Shriver, John Travolta, Diane Von Furstenberg, Julia Roberts, Stanley Crouch, Ellen DeGeneres, Henry Louis Gates, Jr., Nicholas Kristof, "Bono, Nelson Mandela, Mark Nepo, Marianne Williamson, Phil McGraw, Bob Greene, Dr. Oz, Toni Morrison, Elie Wiesel, Phil Donahue, Roger Ebert, and Sidney Poitier.

The "essay" is divided into these sections:
-The Making of a Legacy
-Here's to Books
-Moving the Needle
-The Farewell Season
-The End of an Era

I really grasped Oprah's legacy and influence. She transformed America in so many ways. From encouraging reading through her book club to promoting equality and tolerance for all, Oprah's influence is HUGE.

I did not learn a lot from the book as I have watched the show every day for years (I'm 25 now had have not missed an episode since high school!). However, I did learn some new things about Oprah. I learned how Oprah first met Maria Shriver and Bob Greene (Oprah was in the office next to Maria Shriver at WJZ-TV and she first met Bob Greene at a health spa, where he was working at the time).

This is definitely a feel good book that just empowers you. So many "life lessons" from Oprah are referenced throughout the book. The lesson that is referenced the most in the book is, "You are responsible for the energy that you create for yourself and you're responsible for the energy that you bring to others." Other life lessons referenced in the book include:
-Always listen to your intuition. If something seems wrong, it probably is. Sanford Strong, who served twenty years with the San Diego Police Department, says to never allow an attacker to take you to a second location.
-There is an emotional component of weight loss, which is just as important as healthy eating and exercise.

Overall, this is a wonderful book! The book allowed me to relive some of my favorite Oprah moments and reminded me of life's most important lessons.

Five stars. Hands down.