2.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessary Sequel, June 14, 2011
This review is from: City of Fallen Angels (Mortal Instruments, Book 4) (Hardcover)
This book is obviously an attempt to revive a series that has already been concluded and resolved in order for the author and the publisher to make a predictable buck from Cassandra Claire's fans. I just wish the novel hadn't made that fact so obvious.

Simon being made into the main character was a mistake. He doesn't have a strong enough personality to carry a book. He has no drive, and no real goals except for his constant whining about being a vampire. I was even more annoyed with him because of his continual immoral and irresponsible behavior in this book. He kept causing himself trouble by being inconsiderate and stupid. I also thought that he could have been used more as some sort of fighting character. He's practically invincible, and yet he never really fights in the book. He stands there while others try to hurt him and fail.

Jace had his moments. Fans love Jace because of his rude sarcastic exterior hiding a decent, angst filled, brooding guy. But at the end of City of Glass, he got his happy ending, and therefore had no more reason to be angst filled or guilty. Claire quickly tries to remedy this by attempting to bring back Jace's self-loathing and perception of unworthiness, but it feels forced and poorly motivated. It's not until late in the book that Jace's reasons for being filled with guilt and shame seem reasonable, but by then I was too annoyed by his earlier ridiculous guilt to feel better about it.

The end of the book was the best part in my opinion. The action was decent, and the resolution well set up. But overall I was dissapointed by City of Fallen Angels. I had to force myself to finish this book, and I haven't had to force myself with anything else of Claire's so far.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 4, 2011 7:20:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2011 7:24:51 AM PDT
City of fallen angels(Mortal instruments) fell really short of my expectations... I had to force myself to finish reading, I kept hoping it would get better yet it did not. I was sadden because all the other books I could not put down. I read these books before I suggest my granddaughter read them.. all I could say to her about this one was just see for yourself. She would not finish the book, she said it would spoiled all of the rest of mortal instruments for her she had read!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2013 5:29:34 PM PDT
i agree. I only read a few pages. I never liked simon. Well i liked him as a humn not vampire. Why did she change him- what happened to having humans as heros.

But yes this series should NOT have continued.

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 9:22:11 PM PST
Ireadtoomuch says:
To: Kaily Neels, Thank- you! Your comment was very well written and the best I've read so far. I plan on stopping at City of Glass.

Posted on Jun 2, 2014 4:06:22 PM PDT
I so do agree that this series should have stop at the 3rd book everything was wrapped up and done with. I read the fourth one and it was just out there with our favorite characters hanging themselves with the words that was forced out in each chapter. Everyone tells me that COHF is wonderful and I want to believe but it's so hard to put up that 5th book of long dragged out pages of 580 total.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,900 customer reviews)
 (1,199)