1,208 of 1,269 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Give it the goods, get results, March 29, 2011
This review is from: Jillian Michaels: 6 Week Six-Pack (DVD)
At 26 years old and nearly six feet tall, I should be a shapely Amazon of a gal, but I'm not. A lack of portion control on my part and a full time job reviewing video games has lead to a physique that's not only unflattering, but unhealthy.

Over the course of months of exercise using Jillian's DVDs, I lost weight DRAMATICALLY. (To give you an idea, I went from a size 28 down to a size 16. Keep in mind I'm six foot tall here.) There was no magic, no bull, just hard work, encouragement, and inspiration. The thing about Jillian is that while she's earned and deserves her reputation for being a tough trainer, she's not an unpleasant one. There's just something about her I respond well to; she's firm but fair during her workouts, and her enthusiasm for what she's doing is infectious.

Unfortunately, late last year, in addition to getting complacent, my husband and I were also hammered by weeks where nothing seemed to go right and we had to deal with one calamity after another... a burst water main, our car breaking down (repeatedly), the declining health of a family member... it just went on and on, and long story short, I fell into depression and packed nearly all the weight back on. (I was back to a size 22.) To say I was embarrassed was an understatement; I felt ashamed of myself, that I had let not only myself but my husband down, and instead of getting back on ye olde proverbial horse, I just made things worse.

Four weeks ago I had enough. For four weeks solid, I have done an hour of exercise every day (30 Day Shred and 6 Week Six Pack) and I've already lost over twenty pounds. That was the worst part; getting back on the scale for the first time in months and seeing how far I'd let myself go. The work is hard, but I feel better than I have in years... more alert, more cheerful, more energetic. I haven't put myself on a strict diet other than the "Don't Eat Like a Lunatic" diet; controlled portions and food I prepare myself from scratch with a lot of vegetables and grains.

My goal has never been to fit into a size two. I just want to get healthier, feel better about myself, and get strong, so that if I ever need to, I dunno... wrestle a bear into submission or something I'll be ready. (Oh, you laugh now, but you can never predict when a bear will need wrasslin'.) I have no doubt that if I keep it up with Jillian, I'll get back to the way I was before (and then some) eventually. Her workouts make me feel good and good about myself; I don't have to force myself to do them anymore, and every time I step on the scale and see how the numbers are going down, it's like a little present to myself. If you have the dedication, and if you respond well to being challenged and pushed by someone who isn't going to coddle you, then you should definitely give Jillian's workouts a try.

The thing to remember is all trainers are not equal for every person. While I will personally tell you that for me, I found Jillian to be extremely likable and motivational, you might wind up disagreeing. Don't get discouraged. Keep your head up, your body moving, and remember that there's always another well-toned fish in the sea waiting for you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2011 2:59:42 PM PDT
KarlaJamaica says:
Thank you for this on point review. I loved 30 Day Shred (and the nearly 20 pounds I lost with it) and look forward to doing this one!

Posted on May 19, 2011 5:50:30 AM PDT
Thank you for this review! So often people say how much they liked a workout DVD but won't mention if it worked to help them lose weight or tone muscle.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 4:19:42 PM PDT
Awesome review! You really touched on a lot of the things that keep a lot of people from exercising...we let life get in our way and then we end up feeling worst about ourselves and our situation. But, it feels so good when you just get back up and do it!! Congrats on all of your progress! You've motivated me today!! I have this DVD - I purchased it about a month ago, was afraid to try it - tried it for the first time today and I feel great! You are right about Jillian, there is just something about her that motivates me. Continued success to you!!

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 6:25:08 PM PST
Thank you so much for your review! It was so inspiring and fun to read how much success you had despite life going crazy on you! And it actually helped me a lot, thanks so much for sharing!! :D

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 6:28:40 AM PST
Thanks for you point of view. You touched on how the workout worked for you with a sensible "Don't Eat Like a Lunatic" diet, which is always my goal when it comes to eating. Strick diets don't work for me, and I do cook in my home. So I feel cutting down on fatty processed foods, and focusing on portion control will help with a new workout routine. I'm puchased 30 Day Shred w/ this workout and am hoping to lose some weight and tone up my body.

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 3:02:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2012 3:03:41 AM PST
I really appreciate your review. I know Jillian's videos work because I did the 30 day shred on and off for 30 days and loss 10lbs and a dress size. I recently cancel my gym membership and have decided to challenge myself to be consistent with this program. Your review gave me motivation to do so. Congrats with your loss.

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 11:18:14 AM PST
Thank you so much for this review! i am 6'4 ... so i am glad someone wrote a review for us 6 ft gals :) i am into a size 20.. and 1 week into 30-day shred and just purchased 6 week abs! thanks so much! :)

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 10:51:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2012 10:52:20 AM PST
FitFocused says:
Very helpful review - and entertaining! :) (The bear part that is...!)
Thank you!

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 6:15:31 PM PST
So, reviews like this are the reason I am addicted to reading them in the first place on Amazon. I just love, love comments like "I just want to get healthier, feel better about myself, and get strong, so that if I ever need to, I dunno... wrestle a bear into submission or something I'll be ready."

Also, your review was informative enough (as I am 5'9" and trying to lose the 40 lbs of baby weight I gained.. ugh) for me to decide to add this to my wishlist for later purchase. Thanks!

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 11:42:42 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 11, 2012 11:43:00 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (1,308 customer reviews)

$14.98 $7.49