910 of 1,007 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware!, November 7, 2011
This review is from: Cuisinart DLC-2011N Prep Plus 11-Cup Food Processor, White (Kitchen)
I did, what I thought was, a lot of research and really took my time picking out a new food processor. I own a 15 year old 11 cup kitchenaid processor that I use all the time. It's a great machine, but has been discontinued and I can't seem to order the parts I need for it right now. Thus, I figured it was time for a new one.

I think the new 12 cup kitchenaid leaves a lot to be desired in the new design, and the same is true for many of the new Cuisinart processors, but this unit got a very high rating from consumer reports. So, I went for it! I figured there was a 10 year motor and 3 year parts warranty, how big a chance could I be taking? Right?!

Well buyer, beware! I did notice some "wonky" reviews stating that these were refurbished units and only had a 90 day warranty, but many stated they purchased from a deal of the day, and I wasn't. I assumed these must be 2 different lots as Amazon is SO reliable in descriptions of merchandise. Well, guess what ...

First thing I did when I got it was pull it out and call Cuisinart. They verified from the serial # that it was a refurbished unit with a 90 day warranty. Second thing I did was pack it back up and send it back to Amazon with a less than friendly e-mail. Now, I am back on the hunt for a new food processor.

To Amazon's credit they stopped selling the machine about 1/2 hour after my e-mail was received and are "researching" what happened. I hope they do start selling the unit again, but properly advertised and possibly at a better price if it only has a 90 day warranty.

Addendum: I am Really disappointed in Amazon at present. They have officially begun selling these again. They are still listed with a sizable warranty (10/3 years) that is not actually included with this unit. This unit is refurbished, confirmed by Cuisinart, and is fraudulently being sold as new by Amazon. I wonder, now, if this is a regular practice, or maybe a new one? I wonder if some ambitious lawyer out there is going to come up with a huge lawsuit against Amazon... ?

Additional addendum: I called Cuisinart today (6/15/12) DLC-2011N Prep Plus 11 cup food processor was discontinued in 2010. I suspect it would be very difficult to find a new in box product at this point.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2011 4:05:30 PM PST
Mrs. Bear says:
Check out TheGourmetDepotCo.com for older-model parts. I have an 8-yr old Kitchen-Aid food processor, originally made by Magimix, in France, that is now discontinued. The Gourmet Depot has parts for it. Hope this helps and you find what you need.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 4:31:48 PM PST
Mrs. Bear,
Thank you so much for your response. Unfortunately the parts for my processor are on backorder even from Gourmet.com. I've searched the internet far and wide, some reports show my parts might be available sometime next year, but as I stated in my review I use my machine several times a week and can't wait until then. I am literally on the verge of using duct tape on the lid, short of finding a new machine, but again thank you so much for your assistance.
Sincerely,
Michele Noble

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 5:01:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 5:03:28 PM PST
Mrs. Bear says:
You're welcome. Depending on your budget, if you are looking for a new processor, I would suggest getting a Magimix by Robot Coupe. That will be my next one when my Kitchen-Aid kicks the bucket. They are well-known for their commercial processors but they also make a couple of home-use models. Since you say you use your processor all the time, it might be worth the investment. They are super quality, although somewhat expensive. Go on-line and look at the videos. Williams-Sonoma.com has a great video on that product.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 4:50:56 AM PST
Mrs. Bear,
Thank you again. I may end up going with one of those. I looked at them in person last week at Williams- Sonoma. I was a little disappointed to learn they only come with a 12 year warranty. My thought was a $500. machine should come with a serious warranty, 20 years would be good ( like the $300. cuisinart they carry). I'm just uncomfortable spending so much with so little warranty. I have wretched luck with technology and have most of my life. Even my "great" kitchenaid went in for warranty service more than once.
Michele

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 2:51:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2011 3:05:02 PM PST
Hi again,
I just went to thegourmetdepotco.com website and found a "Re-boxed" Magimix for a lot less money than any other website (huge savings!). It is not a refurbished unit. It has only been re-boxed. It is a brand-new food processor and the full warranty applies. Their customer service reps are very helpful. I should know. I called them four times with numerous questions (lol). By the way...I bought one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 5:36:04 PM PST
Mrs. Bear,
Thank you! I just went to the site. Their service reps have always been very helpful when I've called before too, it's a good company. I'm going to keep my eye on the site for the 5150. Thank you for the heads up!
Yours,
Michele

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 9:43:52 AM PST
Nelson Avery says:
THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO REPORT THIS!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 2:17:23 PM PST
Nelson,
You're welcome. I don't want anyone to get "burned" by this deal. Mrs. Bear was correct in recommending www.gourmetdepotco.com they have many Magimix processors that are "reboxed" units at good deals. Alternatively, I received the 16 cup Cuisinart Food Processor (Williams-Sonoma) and it is a fabulous machine. I was extremely delighted with my old Kitchen-aid. Now, I almost look down my nose at it. If this gets published, I hope it helps.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 12:20:10 PM PST
A. Sheppard says:
Wow, thanks for posting this. I was about to buy this item at what I thought was a deal! Even $70 is too much for a refurbished item that has almost no warranty :( Now I'm back to researching . . .

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 12:41:30 PM PST
M. G. Noble says:
Be sure to check out www.gourmetdepotco.com for "reboxed" units. They come with a full warranty. I've never purchased electronics from them, but I have purchased replacement pieces for electronics and they provide great customer service. A previous comment by Mrs. Bear recommended them as well.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (952 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $136.00