Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time, money, and the word 'robot', October 22, 2007
This review is from: iRobot 12101 Looj Electric Gutter Cleaning Robot (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
I hate cleaning gutters. It isn't necessarily that hard, but it's at least a little dangerous, and it's certainly an unpleasant task. I was elated when I heard about the Looj. At the same time, I work in tech and I tend to take product claims with a grain of salt. This one requires something more the size the salt licks used for livestock.

According to the instructions, the battery must be charged for 15 hours before using. According to a warning sticker, the battery must not be charged for more than 15 hours. Nice. Plan carefully, kids.

The device itself seems well-constructed, and everything that you have to hook up or assemble is designed in a relatively idiot-proof way. Despite the bizarre battery charging ritual I was willing to give it a chance.

I'll admit that my gutters aren't easy to clean, and they were certainly full of leaves. But the Looj was pointless. It would ride up on the debris, then flip over due to the action of its 'auger.' I would have to turn it back over and start again. It felt like I was assisting a wounded turtle. And it barely made dent on the debris in the gutter.

The Looj made a huge mess. I had to stop using it on one side of my house because it was flinging debris so far that it was hitting my neighbor's house. Not the neighborly thing to do. I had to hose down the parts of the house and gutters where I did use it because of the slime that it sprayed everywhere. I had to hose down my neighbor's house. I think I'm going to need to burn the clothes I was wearing.

Finally, after 'cleaning' about 35 linear feet of gutter and making a gigantic mess, the battery in the Looj died. I was somewhat comforted knowing that my ordeal was over for at least (or exactly) 15 hours.

I really wanted for this product to work. I hope that someday someone makes a product that does work for cleaning my gutters. In the meantime, it's back to the scoop and bucket, and the wistful dream of what might have been. Drat.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2007 8:43:55 PM PST
Aaron Butler says:
Great review! Thanks for the laughs!

Posted on Dec 2, 2007 7:15:36 PM PST
R. Andress says:
I'm crying from laughing so hard after reading this review. I can only imagine what this might do to the muck sitting in my gutters. *Shudders at the thought*

Posted on Dec 8, 2007 8:07:43 AM PST
Steve says:
"Gadget Freak" from San Mateo decided to clean his gutters while they were soggy with rainwater. Doh! I can image his Looj throwing the mud all over. One can only hope he isn't a CTO somehwere in the Valley.

My Looj did a nice job without problems, but it was only ejecting dry leaves, dry maple seeds and other dry debris from our gutters. Did my elderly neighbor's gutters too while I had the ladder out as this job took a fraction of the time it normally does.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2007 11:26:14 AM PST
Wiley Hodges says:
I really wanted for this product to work. After all of the great things I've heard from friends about the Roomba, I expected that it just might.

The iRobot Web site and the product instructions both specifically claim (or did claim at the time I bought the product) that the Looj can remove wet debris, and even work submerged in backed-up water. I consider testing a claimed capability of a product to be a reasonable thing to do. As for whether I'm a CTO, you can only wonder and hope. But I will say that my company's products really work as claimed, and we're not easy on ourselves about these kinds of things. And we don't build robots, so don't worry: this isn't competitive sniping.

Posted on Jan 14, 2008 9:29:37 PM PST
S. HAWKINS says:
You should do stand-up. You're hilarious account was both entertaining and helpful. Thanks!

Posted on Jan 29, 2008 9:05:32 AM PST
Trevor Hirst says:
Mr. Hodges,
How DARE you post a review that is informative, entertaining AND spelled correctly?? Surely this is just not in the spirit of Amazon.com!

And so bursteth the bubble... :)

Posted on Mar 7, 2008 4:36:55 PM PST
I haven't tried mine yet. You definitely have a flair for comedy and now I consider myself warned about the Looj. I'll post again after I've tried it. Thanks for the well-written humor.

Posted on May 14, 2008 8:41:00 AM PDT
stuston says:
It seems to me that this product just does not have the capability to clean neglected gutters. Clean them by hand, then try it a couple of times a year, I'll bet you'll do better.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2008 11:14:52 AM PDT
hi says:
There are always the hose extensions? With the spray nozzles that are designed for gutter cleaning.

Posted on Jan 3, 2009 5:38:37 AM PST
Jayem says:
Loved the review! Glad to see an intelligent (and funny) review for a change. I had a chance to buy this for $40 on Woot!, but thanks to your review, I saved my money (and my sanity)!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›