5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, Great Value, Few of the Issues You Are Worrying About, June 25, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST50 60-Inch 1080p 600Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV (Electronics)
Bottom line: Beautiful picture (black is really black!), nice internet functionality, and little impact from the issues that have been noted here and elsewhere.

Prior to making this purchase I did many hours of online reading that consisted of: CNET, AV/high def message boards and reviews, and Amazon reviews and comments. I asked myself the same questions most TV purchasers ask themselves: plasma vs. LED/LCD, Samsung vs. Panasonic, etc. I purchased the 60ST50 from Amazon and it was delivered in the middle of June 2012. By way of background, I own three other LCD's (one of them an LED/LCD) and this was my first foray into plasma. I felt like plasma was a low risk choice for this TV as it is going in a basement with no windows.

The general consensus online is that the ST50 is the best value available for an excellent picture. Always wanting to get the biggest bang for my buck, this consensus opinion was the number one factor in my decision.

As I said, I read a lot of reviews and, despite the consensus above, had a number of reservations because of issues that others encountered with the ST50. Here is a summary of my concerns and my findings. I should note that I ran the screen prep slides that you can find out there on the message boards and then played around with two different suggested calibration settings. I have no idea whether the screen prep slides are necessary and can't say whether they prepared my screen for calibration. What HAS been proven is that I am a serious nerd.

Screen buzzing: Some reviews have noted screen buzz. I was very concerned out of the gate as the screen prep slides have a white slide. When this slide was shown and all of the phosphors were glowing at 100%, there was a clear buzz emanating from the TV. You could hear it from everywhere in the small room where I was prepping the TV (what a nerd!). The good news is that the buzzing actually reduced over the time that I ran the slides. In a larger room watching actual TV content, it is not audible from in front of the panel even when the content is quiet. If you stick your head behind it, you can still hear a low buzz. My recommendation: do not buy this television if you plan to watch it from behind. Otherwise, if you will be watching it conventionally you should be relieved to hear that I have no issues with buzzing after the break-in period.

Viewing in a bright room: As noted, this television is for my basement but I had a chance to view it in a fairly bright room and with ceiling lights above. Generally, no issues. The filter works fairly well. I could see issues if you had a room with lots of bright sunlight where the windows could reflect off the panel. If that's your situation, you're probably considering LED/LCD anyway. Only you can decide what's right for your individual circumstances.

Image retention: Another early scare: my Directv rebooted and the directv logo was onscreen for 15 minutes or so. When it was finished the image was retained as a shadow for 30 seconds or so and then it went away. Gave me a quick scare but wasn't anything to be concerned about. I have had the menus open for decent amounts of time. I have watched channels with logos. I have watched several movies with black bars on the top and bottom. No further issues.

Hockey: The one entertaining guy in the Amazon reviews that had hockey issues might have scared me. But I don't watch hockey. I have, though, watched baseball, basketball, football, soccer, golf, track and field, etc. They all look great. No issues.

Some reviews have noted that the picture is too dark relative to an LED/LCD, has no pop, and looks washed out. I will tell you that the picture is different from an LED/LCD. This television has very lifelike pictures and colors. It's a very refreshing change. The best part of this television are the blacks which are really black. My wife, who usually doesn't notice such things, said, "Wow! The picture is so bright." (Hint for those that don't find it bright enough after calibration - adjust the gamma setting for instant brightness).

I really like this television and am happy with my purchase. If that changes over time, I will update this review.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 37 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 4:59:58 AM PST
mavisbwoy says:
can u play video from a hdd hard drive on this tv?

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 5:03:32 AM PST
mavisbwoy says:
can this tv play video from a hard drive?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:21:51 PM PST
Kudos: "do not buy this television if you plan to watch it from behind. "

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:09:38 PM PST
Drew Miller says:
I don't know the answer to this. If I had one to plug in I would give it a go but I don't.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 7:03:19 PM PST
CT says:
I am looking at this TV, and I have read all the reviews, but Amazon has 18/19 for sale as used. all for about 853.00. Curious why.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:17:16 PM PST
I Love Music says:
Probably because Panasonic is getting ready to release a new model for 2013, and the TV junkies are dumping their 2012 model to buy the new version.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:19:26 AM PST
manus says:
You gave a nice review. The best part was saying: "if you watch the tv from the back". It made me laugh loudly and share with others in the room. Nice sense of humor, guy!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 7:38:58 PM PST
Jimbo450 says:
Go to COSTCO store or online with purchase receipt and get your tv extended warranty through them. You have 30 days to complete transaction. Waaay cheaper than anywhere else in North America AND you can register all makes, models, and brands and even ones NOT purchased at COSTCO. Be insistant and go up the chain of command because 99% of COSTCO employees do NOT know their own RULES! I had to go through 6 managers and office reps before they got the clue that YES any brand new tv can be registered through COSTCO warranty program. Now I just saved YOU a $100.00 minimum...Don't be a scrooge this Xmas! Ciao

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 10:32:35 AM PST
mikel50 says:
Thankyou Sir for your comments. I have a Samsung 42 inch plasma tv that I purchased in 2007. It isnt a best quality tv, as it is a 720p. I have enjoyed it, and its given me no problems whatsoever, and I have moved it several times. But I am not a TV connoisuerer. I just like watching a quality picture when I do watch it. Was actually surprised to see the reviews of the Panasonic. I plan to purchase the 55 inch soon. This review solidified my decision.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:41:09 PM PST
DWSW says:
Hi,

First of all, thank you for a fantastic review. You have addressed the concerns I have. After doing much research, this is the TV I am going to order. May I request your comments/response to a couple of questions:

(1) I have found the calibration settings and slides by D-Nice and cnet. How exactly did you run the slides? I cannot find the information. Different places have different answers as some people just watch things on full screen to age for 100-200 hours and then apply the settings. I am inclined to run the slides. Did you run the slides exclusively or watch something else before 100 hours? Did you leave the slide running for a certain period of time (at a time)? The slides I have downloaded have some 13 images of uniform colors.

(2) Did you start the slides after getting the tv out of the box?

(3) My apologies for many simple questions but any help (basic directions) would be helpful because this is my first HDTV after the old tube tv and while this TV is highly rated, I am nervous about making this expensive (for me) purchase online and not calibrating/running slides properly.

Thank you much in advance.

Review Details