Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Good things come in petite packages!, June 17, 2011
This review is from: Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop (Hardcover)
Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop is one of the prettiest books it has been my pleasure to come across. While there are not a huge number of recipes (more is not always better), the recipes that are included cover a wide and very well chosen spectrum. Among the goodies I was delighted to find were both homemade graham crackers and the wonderful chocolate wafers, now nearly unobtainable commercially, that were such a big part of my childhood.

Perhaps the thing I liked best, though, was the scale of the recipes. I love to bake, but now that I live alone a full-sized cake or pie is simply too much for me to consume. Ray's recipes, however, are all scaled to small. The cakes run to a mere six inches, the tarts to seven. Her instructions are detailed and easy to follow, making this a book that newer bakers will enjoy using. Highly recommended.

PS - Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop, together with a Wilton Decorator Preferred 6 by 2 Inch Round Pan and a set of pretty pot holders would make a perfect bridal shower gift!

One final note: I've spent several hours searching high and low for 7-inch tart pans as specified in the book, to no avail. While I did find a straight-sided version in silicon, I do not care for silicon bakeware. On rereading the book, I find that Ray does state that the recipes have been tested for either 7 or 8 inch tart pans or 3.5 inch tartlet pans. Here are a couple that would fit the bill -

Chicago Metallic Tartlett Pan 4 Cavity, 10.60-Inch by, 9.90-Inch by 1.30-Inch (3-1/2-Inch by .90 Cavities)

Paderno World Cuisine 7.875 Inch Fluted Non-Stick Tart Pan with Removable Bottom

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 18, 2011 8:44:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2011 8:47:36 PM PDT
The scaled-down recipes are my favorite thing about this book! I'm a food scientist, and even I have a difficult time scaling down baking recipes. In many cases you can't simply cut the recipe in half...logically it seems like it would work but it often doesn't, especially with cakes. And if you just use smaller pans, you end up having a lot of batter left over, or an already too-small freezer crammed full of cake/cupcakes (I'm usually only baking for 2). So I LOVE the smaller recipes. I'm going to wait to give this a starred review until I actually bake something from it, but I thought I'd chime in on that aspect. Oh, also, I originally bought the book because I saw that their coffee buttercream recipe was in it...they make the most amazing coffee buttercream.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011 6:43:40 AM PDT
Grammie says:
How thoughtful of you to include places to purchase such items. Thank you.

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 8:34:38 PM PDT
You darling dear- to include where to find things

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 4:08:19 AM PDT
ME says:
I saw this book on someone's recipe blog I was reading and fell in love with the cake on the cover so am now waiting for the corrected version to come out. In the meantime wanting to feast my eyes on more of the same I discovered the Miette website and on there they sell 6" cake pans and also the rose and leaf that goes on top. Not sure if I am allowed to post that but may be useful to someone looking to make such a mini cake. Sadly I don't think the rose or better still the actual cake would survive coming over to the UK to fulfill my lust for this cake. Hats off to Meg for creating baked perfection. My clothing personality is 'dramatic classic' and this is my ideal cake! Wonder if Meg realises she's cornered the dramatic classic niche in cakes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2011 6:14:21 AM PDT
Grandma says:
Unless you are baking in the metric system, there is only one error in the book that is of significance - 1/4 cup of salt in the salted caramels instead of 1/4 teaspoon LOL. I wouldn't wait for the corrected version if I really wanted the book. You might wait awhile. I didn't have any problems finding 6" cake pans. You will find those at virtually any store that sells cake decorating equipment - even WalMart. 7" tart pans were a REAL problem. I haven't come across those anywhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2011 6:54:59 AM PDT
ME says:
Thanks Grandma. I would like to buy a copy for my step-daughter too who is an emerging fiend in the kitchen. She'll love it too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2011 11:08:14 AM PDT
Grandma says:
BTW, the cheesecake is great, though the directions for wrapping the bottom of the pan in plastic wrap and melting it made a bit of a mess and didn't change the state of things. The cheesecake still cracked a bit on top, so the second time I made it I simply ignored that part of the directions & ditched the water bath. Much less fussy with a much nicer crust.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›