5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe it's True., December 29, 2010
This review is from: Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It (Hardcover)
I pre-ordered Gary Taubes' new book "Why we get fat and what to do about it",
It arrived yesterday and I spent the day reading it.
Although I've always been a calorie restricting person,
rather than a "low-carb" person, I loved the book.

I've already read Good Calories Bad Calories several times,
and watched all of his University Lectures on YouTube,
and I've been thinking about these concepts for a few years.
I was worried that Taubes' new book would just seem like old info.
However, this was not the case.

He did a GREAT JOB.
His use of less detail made his concepts far more understandable
for someone like me, who is not a scientist or a medical professional.

I have a lifetime of low-calorie dieting history.
I am female, over 60, and 5'0" tall.
18 years ago weighing 271 lbs I had WLS.
Before my surgery I had lost more than 100 lbs twice
and regained it both times.
The year after surgery I lost from 271 to 160,
but as soon as my body could tolerate more carbs,
my weight began climbing again,
and I had to diet for the next 10+ years to maintain around 190 lbs.

6 years ago, I began using a computer food-journal to record all my food,
and I was successful at a low-calorie diet, losing from 190 to 115 lbs.
I have been maintaining close to that weight for the past 5 years
by continuing to restrict calories.
During the past 2 years I've had to average around 1050 calories to maintain my current weight,
and I've consistently been physically hungry much of the time now for more than 6 years.

Thanks to Taubes, I now realize that by restricting calories,
I also unintentionally restricted carbs.
Could it be that each time I've lost weight in my lifetime it was due to carb restriction?
Could it be that my maintenance difficulties have been due to carb return?
Is it possible that I could go low-carb and maintain my current weight without being so hungry?
This year, I plan to do my own personal Experiment-of-One to find out.

I found the book highly motivating,
and I recommend it to every open-minded person

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 29, 2010 7:22:29 AM PST
A reader says:
Dear Ms. Collins, I read the book too and feel that perhaps its greatest value will be to individuals such as yourself, who have struggled and suffered for years trying to lose weight by conforming themselves to a flawed methodology, through no fault of their own. I dropped a lot of weight -- without exercise and without even thinking about it -- on the Paleo Diet, in which I eat no carbs but plenty of other good stuff, so I know that Taubes' science and logic are sound. I wholeheartedly endorse your Experiment-of-One. Given your history, I believe it will be a success. Good luck!
Reader

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 6:53:23 AM PST
J. Turner says:
Good luck with your experiment! If you are anything like me, you will find that Mr. Taubes seems to have interpreted the available evidence correctly, and that carbohydrates do indeed encourage weight gain. Not to mention the beneficial health effects of lowering your blood insulin levels and triglycerides that result from reduced carbohydrate consumption.

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 10:31:48 PM PST
Book Lover says:
I really think you are going to find that it works amazingly well. You can enjoy (nitrate free) bacon and sour cream with your eggs! Yum! And you don't EVER need to be hungry again. Bet you'll love it. I do.

Posted on Jan 11, 2011 7:33:13 PM PST
I just want to say go for it! You can certainly take it one day at a time! You are most definitely going to feel better! For example, today I ate a 2 egg omelette with some cheese and I actually wasn't hungry until 5 pm! I normally would have something about 2 but today I was busy and just didn't feel like it. I would love to hear about your progress! I have lost 40 pounds doing low carb and have about 80 to go and every confidence that I can and will do it. Heck I'm going to eat this way for the rest of my life. Try it, you have nothing to lose. If you find that you hate it, you can always go back, but at the very least you shouldn't be hungry every day. (((Hugs)))

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 12:30:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 19, 2011 12:30:46 PM PST
Good luck!! I followed a Dr supervised low-carb diet treatment program to pull of 70 lbs. Now I know why it worked! I highly recommend picking up a copy of The New Atkins For A New You by Dr. Stephen Phinney, Dr. Eric Westman (of the Lifestyle Medicine Clinic at Duke University), and Jeff Volek and read it over. It's got great menu ideas, recipes, menus for all carb level (even vegan!)! Mine is dog-eared and falling apart right now! New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 10:42:11 AM PST

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 10:15:35 AM PST
Susan S says:
My life changed a few years ago when I learned about Dr. Seth Roberts and his book, The Shangri-La Diet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shangri-La_Diet The science is the same, but with a simple concrete method for achieving weight loss and control. So, every January, I go back on the program and lose the weight I gained over the holidays, quickly and easily. Best of all, armed with this knowledge, I don't yo-yo like I used to. It's changed my brain, and I no longer crave sweets and carbs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2011 7:02:57 AM PST
A. Donovan says:
nitrite free does not have much to do with weight loss, but it has everything to do with general health and wellbeing.
perhaps you should look more closely at who is ignorant.

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 5:21:07 AM PST
Good luck. I find it hilarious that everyone is pushing their own version of low-ish carb diets. There is a common thread. Definitely staying away from processed foods is helpful, and processed includes grinding grain. And grain is only necessary when you feel you need the carbs, such as after exercise or maybe first thing in the morning. As a small person, I feel that I only have limited ability to eat calories, and grain does very little for me, but I don't totally avoid it, just have it less than once a day, maybe less than a couple times a week, depending on the week. As long as people are recommending books, I recommend "Eating Clean" as weight-lifters do. The diet is described in the Female Body Breakthrough, but can also be found by googling the phrase. It's more about unprocessed than anything else, and if you're a small person, having veggies more often than fruit, but beans count as protein.

But it's a mysterious thing why our bodies decide to start losing weight. I was "eating clean" for several months before I started losing weight, and then all of a sudden in 2-3 months I lost the 10-15 pounds I needed to lose. And nothing in particular changed other than my boyfriend breaking up with me, so I temporarily lost my appetite.

Posted on Feb 15, 2011 10:18:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2011 10:17:08 AM PST
J. FELLA says:
Ms. Collins, that's a very good point about him cutting out some of the detail and making this a little more streamlined. That was my ONLY complaint about his previous book, that it was a very long, detailed, and somewhat dry read and it might turn off some of the people who might benefit from it the most. I'm very excited to read this new book. I've got it on hold at my local library =)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (1,204 customer reviews)

$26.00 $19.28