5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, February 21, 2010
I have headphones on most of the day - every day. I was looking for a new pair, because the previous, behind the head, style really irritated me. So, I researched for quite a while before I found these. I was looking for a pair that was NOT over the ear, since I didn't want that weight and feel all day long. I was also looking for the single wire from one side and volume control. I would have settled for less, but luckily found these.

I am extremely impressed with the sound blocking. I was absolutely shocked at how much sound is blocked. It just doesn't seem possible, considering their small size. It's kinda weird actually. Because I wear them all day, there are times when the noise blocking is actually a hindrance, so I wind up moving one side off the ear so I can hear my surroundings. It's not ideal, but that is not the fault of the headphones.

They are very comfortable. I can literally wear them for 8 hours straight without the least bit of discomfort. Again, pretty amazing. I did experience more warmth than desired on my ears at first, but within a couple hours that was gone. I guess I got used to it.

I am impressed with the build quality. I was very happy to see that the entire headband is metal reinforced, with metal hinges. It just has a nice solid feel. I've only had them for a few weeks now, so I can't speak to longevity, but I see no weak links so far.

I can't understand the complaints of "weak" bass response. I believe these phones provide a very balanced range, with everything clear and crisp from high to low. I suppose if you're expecting your head to thump, like every third Honda Civic with 8 subwoofers, weed-eater exhaust note, and 26" rims, you might be disappointed. However, if you would like your music to sound realistic - resembling closely the recording, these will probably satisfy. Keep in mind these are $50 headphones. Don't expect them to outperform a pair of $100+ studio monitors. However, having said that, I don't want to wear studio monitors for 8 hours a day.

Very pleased.

UPDATE: Recently I was able to compare, side by side, these headphones to my brother's Sony MDR-V6 studio monitors. The studio monitors have better sound isolation, and better base response, as you'd expect. however, I was really impressed with how close these came to matching the overall performance, considering the diminutive size compared to the over-the-ear studio monitors.

UPDATE: Purchased in February, now it is December, and they have survived so far. I keep them in the storage bag, and try to be careful with them, since the single cable is so thin. Even after (reluctantly) letting my teenage daugther use them occasionally, they still work fine. I was a little worried about the wire or the volume control flaking out, but so far so good.

[Add comment]