5.0 out of 5 stars "Thank you Mr. Peanut!"-Dean to the "right hand of (the god) Plutus, September 11, 2013
This review is from: Supernatural: Season 8 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Yes, the quip above is Dean at his best in a series filled with clever quips and performances.

I was afraid that "Supernatural" might be exorcised after the rather anemic showing of season six (and it didn't help that it was facing other genre shows at the same time on other networks)but the series continues to be the "little engine that could".

Season seven took a strong step in the right direction with a change in leadership, some new and interesting characters.

SPOILERS:

Season seven ended with Dean being sent to Purgatory along with the leader of the Leviathans. The loss of Bobby during season seven, the introduction of the tablet with the word of God that could permanently close the gates to Hell. In the eighth season opener Dean returns from Purgatory with the help of a vampire named Benny who has changed his ways. Unfortunately Cass ended up in Purgatory as well and doesn't return with Dean.

Dean returns and finds that Sam has moved on with his life abandoning hunting. Dean convinces Sam to help him find a way to obtain the word of God, Kevin and close the gates to Hell forever. There is a price for everything in "Supernatural" and its quite steep for everyone involved including Cass who returns whole on the surface but is clearly very damaged beneath the surface.

END OF SPOILERS:

As with the previous seasons Warner gives us a top notch transfer with lossless audio. The exception is, of course, "Bitten" the found footage episode that received a mixed reaction from fans (I kind of like it for a change of pace)as it was shot on consumer grade digital video cameras but, hey, it's supposed to look that way).

We get sound tracks in Portuguese and subtitles in English, Spanish and French.

What's missing? Prior seasons included a booklet that gave you the title of each episode and credits. The booklet has been discontinued. I kind of miss that.

The special features are quite nice for this season. We get three audio commentaries on key episodes "Hunteri Heroici", "As Time Goes By" and "Everybody Hates Hitler".

We get a featurette on the creation of the "found footage" episode. "For the Defense of Mankind" focuses on the tablet. "Angel Warrior: The Story of Castiel" is a terrific featurette focusing on the character and actor Misha Collins who defined the role and made it difficult for everyone else to play an angel because, well, they pale in comparison.

We get fourteen deleted scenes from the season. We also get the usual (and fun)gag reel.

Ultraviolet access is provided to watch these episodes on your PC.

Season eight of "Supernatural" demonstrated that a change in producers helped revitalized the series. While there were a couple of minor stumbles along the way, season eight is very entertaining and largely consistent.

Highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2013 2:10:27 AM PDT
Thank you for a wonderful review. I ordered directly from WB (I regret doing so now because I ordered two weeks ago, figuring it would ship on 9/10 and I'd have it for the weekend, but it just shipped today 9/13). Anyway, I am as you a major fan of Supernatural and I just finished watching seasons 1-7 again in preparation for Season 8. I work 3rd shift and I am usually sleeping during prime-time TV so it was not easy to watch any Supernaturals during Season 8's first broadcasts. Nevertheless, what I did watch had me anticipating its release on DVD. Such an amazing show with a story arc that continues to develop in fantastic and interesting ways, a complex and at times exasperating relationship between the two brothers (both actors have given their respective characters such depth, complexity and nuance that I am amazed that neither has ever been nominated for an Emmy award and I can think of at least 6 episodes that were nomination-worthy!). Supernatural's writers are not afraid to shake up the story line either, witness the death of Bobby Singer, one of my favorite characters and I was ready to write the show off so angry was I when Bobby was ceremoniously dispatched in Season 7. At least through the 7 seasons I have on DVD, I am impressed with the wit, the subtleties, the wry satire, the philosophical challenges that Supernatural has fearlessly (and, perhaps for some, heretically) undertaken. I look forward to Season 8, even more so upon reading your review.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2013 9:50:12 AM PDT
Wayne Klein says:
You're welcome! Unfortunately, I found the same thing on another order with Warner that they are rather slow. They had a third party vendor that evidently ships their stuff out for them.

Hope you enjoy the set when it arrives (and hopefully it will be soon)!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (1,259 customer reviews)
 (1,083)