5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERIOR PICTURE QUALITY, INCREDIBLY REALISTIC COLOR REPRODUCTION, June 23, 2010
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-P50G25 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV (2010 Model) (Electronics)
If you are like me, you put a lot of research into a expensive purchase like a flat screen television, especially since it is something you plan to use for several years. I chose the Panasonic G25 after months of research trying to determine which was "better", LCD or Plasma, while also investigating which brands and models were the best performers.

What's in the box?
* The 50" TV
* Swivel stand
* Lighted remote, including batteries
* Detailed Instruction manual
* Quick Start Guide

I purchased this TV as our main television in our family room. I own two other flat screens, both LCD and both from Panasonic, 32" and 42".

Set up is a breeze. The box is designed to be easily opened by releasing four plastic clips built onto the box. This allows the top (most of the box) to be lifted of the TV, while the TV remains secure and stationary in the lower part of the box. The included swivel stand comes in two pieces and is easily assembled with a few included screws. If you use this stand, you simply have to lower the TV onto the stand. This can be done vertically without laying the screen down on its face, since the design of the TV mounting components are flush with the stand. Some TVs require you to place the TV in a horizontal position to mount it to their stand. You possibly could do this assembly alone, as the TV is not very heavy, but due to sheer size, it is extremely prudent to have someone help you.

Many professional reviews will advise you to beware of plasma "burn in" of images, or using plasma in a brightly lit room. I worried about these two things constantly during my research.

Panasonic's manual does advise you not to leave a 4:3 image, or any still image on the screen on the screen for very long periods as it can contribute to some burn in. But in general, even if you watch 4:3 mode all day long, the TV has a couple of features which helps protect its image, including orbiting pixel technology and a scrolling bar which can be run across the screen to help cleanse it. I have watched a good deal of 4:3 format on this TV and have not had any issues whatsoever. The orbiting technology slightly moves pixels about, undetectable to the human eye, which really minimizes the chance of any burn in.

As far as a bright room, don't worry! My family room is decent size, and has a cathedral ceiling with a skylight, plus a southern wall that is almost all window and a sliding door on the opposite wall. So the room has lots of light. I can watch the TV during the brightest time of day without any loss of quality or viewing ability. The anti-glare feature of the screen reduces the natural reflective characteristics of glass down to practically nil.

I tend to watch most programming on the TV's THX mode. This will give you a somewhat less bright display than the G25's "Standard" or "Vivid" mode or compared to most LCDs, but personally I am looking for the most accurate, pleasing display, not simply "the brightest". If you do prefer a very bright display, the TV's numerous picture settings can easily give you a bright display.

I am a huge Panasonic fan, and that did factor into my choice of TV. I find Panasonic typically gives you high quality at a reasonable price.

As for price, you will spend several hundreds of dollars more for an LCD of comparable size and quality. Some better quality LCDs in this size range will cost double what the G25 sells for.

Most of the features on the TV and remote are intuitive and the menu offers general explanations of the purpose of each setting. The remote itself is well laid out and easy to navigate, although this was not very important to me since I am using my FIOS remote for most typical functions.

There are three HDMI ports on the TV, as well as RCA and component connections and coax input. There is also a PC port as well as two USB ports. The lone port type absent is S-Video. While S-Video is passé, if you have a DVD player that's a few years old, you might be using S-Video to connect to your TV, so be prepared to upgrade or switch cable types if need be.

The TV can also be networked either by Ethernet cable or wireless adapter. You must use Panasonic's adapter if you choose the wireless route, which is one of the few cons on this product. Compatibility with common wifi adapters would have been nice, since the Panasonic wifi adapter is over-priced. Although Panasonic confirmed you must use their adapter, I tried a couple of others any way, but the TV did not detect them. If you network the Tv you can make use of numerous features like direct connection to several services (some of which require a subscription or fee). Examples are Amazon Video on Demand (cost associated), YouTube (free), Pandora (free), Twitter (free, and a few others.

A couple of typical complaints about Panasonic TVs are the sound quality, and starting with the G series from 2009, the black levels displayed on the screen becoming lighter after several hundred hours of use. The sound is decent on the TV, and many people will probably cutover to their home theater for audio when playing DVDs or music-related TV programming anyway. I don't believe the concerns over the black levels are a huge issue. That is just my opinion; I am neither an expert nor any type of engineer. At the end of the day, everything I have read seems to indicate that the resulting black levels from Panasonic's firmware still leaves the display at a better black level than the competing Samsung products, so .........

Aside from being limited to Panasonic's wifi adapter, about the worst thing I can say about the G25 is that for the price, Panasonic could include some sort of cleaning cloth for the screen, which is typical even on their own lower end LCDs.

Overall, this television has astounding picture quality and realistic reproduction which is superior to any LCD or LED TV I've seen. For the price, you cannot go wrong or find a better flat screen HD TV.

NOTE:
If you are a making your first flat screen, HD television purchase, please remember that no matter what brand or type you buy, standard display will not be as sharp as high definition programming, and the larger the screen the more noticeable that is.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 15, 2010 1:50:18 PM PDT
I think the author meant he has a Panasonic 32" LCD and 46" Plasma TV. Panasonic does not make LCD's bigger than 42".

Posted on Jul 22, 2010 4:27:27 PM PDT
Juss says:
A wonderful, and wonderfully clear review. Thank you. I'm looking at a first-time purchase, and frankly am looking at the new tech more with the eye of an artist and ardent film viewer than technology enthusiast. I like to know, see, and compare specs . . . but in the end, the eye matters most. Thanks for addressing concerns of setup, wear, operation, and picture quality without excessive use of numerical values.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2010 12:23:18 PM PDT
B. Colonna says:
Thanks for catching the typo, they are both LCDs though (32" and 42") - not a 46", sorry!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2010 12:30:31 PM PDT
B. Colonna says:
I feel the same way - a lot of the research documenation I found related to .0016189 of this and that, and a lot of technical information. Not that I frown on that, and I am not disregarding its importance, but like you I was interested in "does it look pleasing to the eye", "is it reliable", and any quirks or problems. I would buy this TV all over again.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2010 2:10:29 PM PDT
Thanks for a good review. As a note, most of the new tvs do not have an S-video input which I would need. But you can buy an adapter cable (S-Video Male + 3.5mm Audio to 3 RCA Composite Cable, 6 ft) at Amazon for about 5 bucks if you need one. I'm planning to do that because my receiver (a Marantz) uses the S-video connector for its menu output and it's the only way to view the menu of settings onscreen.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2010 4:44:13 PM PDT
S. Epstein says:
You briefly mentioned the "graying" of the image - the condition where the black lightens over time. Reviews of the 2009 version of this set indicate that this has been a significant issue, but the manufacturer's description seems to indicate that they have modified the technology to help prevent this problem. I am very interested to see how the solution holds up over time.

I wonder what your second choice set might have been.

Thanks for your time in reviewing this set.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 10:48:58 AM PDT
L. Bastos says:
Just a quick note that the G25 (and all Panasonic Plasma models) have only 3 HDMI inputs (2 in the rear, 1 on the side).
Otherwise, very nice review -thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2010 8:38:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2010 8:40:26 AM PDT
Garfield says:
150" plasma form panasonic :)

Posted on Sep 11, 2010 2:40:26 PM PDT
j in boston says:
Thanks for the helpful review. My tc-p50g20 will be delivered next week replacing my much loved 32" Sony Trinitron crt. This is my first flat screen tv and I'm mostly worried about burn in since I watch a fair amount of old movies and tv. I'm also hoping that a lot of my old stuff doesn't look too terrible on this big, unforgiving screen. If I had the space I would hold on to my old Sony as a back up viewer, but that's not a possibility.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010 9:02:15 AM PST
CrikeyMike says:
I am curious how you have found the quality of older, non-HD media (movies, TV). I have seen some advanced reviewers note that its handling of SD (lower quality) content is not good (words used for the image are noisy, blurry, fuzzy.) I just reordered this TV *first two had terrible buzzing* because Panasonic called to say they had identified the problem and would replace the "SC" board or such with a new, reengineered one. FYI on that if you are finding any buzzing, especially on light and white scenes for me. Why I bought it again: Bang for buck. But the SD quality issue does worry me. If you have not hooked upa Blu-ray to this yet, however, you are in for an unbelievable picture. Just awesome.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

B. Colonna
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Location: Somewhere in NJ