5.0 out of 5 stars New Life for Old MacBook Pro 17", August 21, 2013
This review is from: Crucial M500 960GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT960M500SSD1 (Personal Computers)
Previously I had "upgraded" my MacBook Pro by adding a Wintec FileMate 96GB SSD Express card. This had allowed me to put all system files and most applications in solid state storage resulting in a big boost in performance. Over time system bloat and data caused the internal 750GB disc and the 96GB SSD to reach maximum capacity and I found I was spending more time watching the spinning beach ball as the CPU tried to juggle data and processes between the limited free space. The M500 represented a significant drop in price for terabyte class SSD storage. I was torn between retiring my early 2009 MacBook Pro and getting this drive. As a 17" Apple laptop is no longer available, I decided to go with the SSD drive. The performance gain, even over the express card SSD is amazing. Startup of the OS is greatly reduced, apps feel as if they open near instantaneously. Apps that are collapsed, fly open from the dock.

There are additional benefits, the laptop runs and feels cooler, undoubtedly because I am no longer using the express card, and a disc-based drive, but there is likely an additional gain due to the greater air space around the 7mm drive. I did not need to use the included spacer as the standard mounts immobilize the drive, this resulted in significant (by laptop standards) gains in clearance above and below the drive. The fans have not gone into an audible mode since I installed the drive, including the four hours of continuous writing to the SSD while I transferred 400GB of music and photos. Consequently battery life has seen a boost and the laptop is as silent as any 2013 MacBook Air.

In short, if you have a 17" MacBook Pro and are torn about upgrading because Apple no longer offers a 17", you can gain the performance feel of a 2013 MacBook Pro and 200GB more SSD storage than Apple currently offers in its top-of-line Retina display MacBook Pro for less than 1/4 of the price. I thought by installing this drive I might gain another six months of life on my 17" while I saved for an upgrade, but the performance gains are so great I am likely to hold off upgrading for another twelve to twenty-four months. A testament to the M500 as well as the structural integrity of Apple's unibody construction and the quality of components found in the 2009 17" MacBook Pros.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 17, 2014 9:21:38 AM PST
Thanks for the great review Steven! We're happy to hear your boot and program launch times have decreased on your MacBook Pro. Good stuff! Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2014 1:39:43 PM PST
Sure thing. Five months later and no loss of data or performance, with day-to-day storage equal to 72% of capacity.

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 11:58:50 AM PST
John says:
Steven, thanks for the excellent review. I, too, have an early '09 17" MacBook Pro and have been torn - moving down to a 15" model is hardly an "upgrade" in my book, but it'd be great to get all the speed and performance of a new system. I've been waffling on this SSD-upgrade vs. new MBP quandry for almost a year now. Stumbling across your review has helped me make up my mind. Now that I finally see an affordable terbyte-class SSD being used in exactly my situation, SSD is clearly the way to go.

I couldn't agree with you more about the structural integrity of these unibody systems. After 5 years of daily use, mine is still going strong and feels as solid as the day I got it from Apple.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2014 4:14:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2014 4:31:26 PM PST
I do think you will be happy John, but remember speed is relative. If the '09 is your daily machine it is unlikely you will be disappointed with the bump in performance. Six months later I am still very happy with no plans to move to a newer MacBooK Pro. You might also be interested to know I am running the latest MacOS, Mavericks (10.9.1), and despite 2009 technology the system and application response is considerably snappier than the first day out of the box in 2009.

The price keeps getting better on this drive and in my opinion there is just no way a new $453 laptop could touch the performance, durability and value of 2009 17" MacBookpro with this drive.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 6:50:27 AM PST
P. Singh says:
Thank you for your informative post Steven. I have a 2006 MacbookPro 15" core duo and looking for an ssd upgrade.Would you be aware whether the Crucial is compatible? Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 3:17:08 PM PST
It appears it will, the Apple resource page says your 2006 MacBookPro uses a Serial ATA (SATA) connection. http://support.apple.com/kb/SP24?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The Crucial Drive's width and length are standard for a 2.5" drive as is the SATA connector. If you need more reassurance you can visit http://www.crucial.com/contact/ and there you can IM with a specialist. But they confirm compatibility on Crucial's upgrades page. http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=macbook+pro+(late+2006)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2014 7:54:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2014 7:55:56 AM PDT
John says:
Steven, I bit the bullet and got this 960GB M500 a couple weeks ago. Everything you said is true! The performance is out through the roof with this drive. I, too, am happy to put off a new MBP for the foreseeable future. Thanks to this SSD, it *feels* like I got a whole new MBP.

I had planned to use Migration Assistant, but the performance was abysmal (8-9 minute boot), so I re-installed Mavericks from scratch and installed all my stuff fresh and clean. Fully loaded, boot-up is under 30 seconds.

I since stumbled across a possible fix, but I'm not at all motivated to reinstall and Migration Assistant again to find out if it works.

Incidentally, I have a BootCamp partition for Win7 Pro x64 (WinClone'd) that has a significantly higher "windows experience index" than my relatively new, company-issued HP ProBook. That, alone, makes me smile. :-)

Anyway, thanks again for your great reviews and advice. Much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2014 9:12:05 PM PDT
Thanks John, glad it was helpful.

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 12:06:22 PM PDT
ashish says:
did you replace the original hard drive or did you remove the CD rom and added the crucial hard drive in its place

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2015 2:30:03 PM PDT
John says:
I replaced the mechanical hard drive with this solid-state drive. The performance boost is beyond belief. I use the optical drive quite a bit, so it's still in there for now.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›