Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

4.0 out of 5 stars Workarounds, January 26, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Jillian Michaels Fitness Adventure - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I'm going to preface my review by saying that before I bought this game, I thoroughly researched every other kinect workout game out there by reading reviews, watching videos, and downloading every demo available. I am ultimately very happy with my purchase and feel that this is the best workout game for me (more on my preferences below). For my daily workouts, I play JMFA, Dance Central 2, and/or a Gaiam Yoga video, since I often get bored doing the same workout and need fun and variance.

Due to some reviews, I was concerned when I bought this that it wouldn't work right because my kinect configuration is less than ideal (my kinect is kind of in a corner with practically no space on one side and a little space on the other. I've played several games where I really wanted a lot more space). However, I think that while JMFA is not perfect, it works pretty well. Here are some tips if you're having problems:

- reconfigure your kinect! There's even an option for it in the game.
- reduce natural light as much as possible. My room gets a ton of natural light, and though I pulled shades and turned on the lamps, I noticed a marked difference between playing in the day and playing at night. Daytime workouts were still possible though, just expect to use the xbox controller to navigate the menus (which doesn't really bother me...I hate menu nav in all my kinect games, it's always slower)
- watch your arm placement! I noticed this when I was doing my side lunges (which mainly work your legs). I didn't have my arms up like Jillian, but as soon as I got them up there, it started counting my lunges.
- stand in the center of the square. When you look at your avatar onscreen, you'll notice it's standing on a gray square. As much as possible, move around your room until your avatar is standing in the center of that square. The kinect will read your movements much better.

As far as the game goes, I'm really loving it, though there's definitely room for improvement.

Pros:

- one of the funnest video game workouts I've ever done
- you can feel your body burning the calories
- cool Lara Croft/Indiana Jones theme! this sold the game for me. Working out by following some lame trainer in front of a white background is just boring. Playing this game really takes my mind off the fact that I'm working out, so it's great for people like me who hate to exercise.
- awesome mix of technique (I love the kickboxing and the yoga moves mixed in)

Cons:

- no option to turn off the demos that play when you make a customized workout, complete warm-ups, etc. This is really annoying because you have to do reps, stop, watch a demo, do more reps, stop, watch another demo...you get the picture. Stopping so much in the middle of a workout does not help the workout, especially when I've done this exercise before and already know how to do it. If there's an option to get rid of these, let me know. In the meantime, I just exercise with the demo, even though it won't count with my score.
- no option to string together the "adventure" exercises. These are the funnest and they really get my blood pumping, but they're each 5-10 minute exercises, and experts say that you really should do 20-30 mins of cardio a day. You can go to the next "adventure" fairly quickly from the menu, but you still have to stop and navigate the menu. Again, giving the option to string these together would give me a better workout (in the meantime, I walk/jog in place while using the controller to navigate)
- Jillian's voice. There are some people who find her annoying, though she doesn't bother me. There is a setting where you can turn her down all the way to zero, if you prefer not to hear her. It doesn't affect gameplay.

I've only had this game for a couple of days, so I'll edit this review once I've played around a little more.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 4, 2012 11:37:03 AM PDT
Thank you for the excellent, complete and well written review! I'm considering trying this game and your review really helped!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 12:15:50 PM PDT
I'm glad to hear it was appreciated. Let me know if you have any questions.

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 8:32:21 AM PST
What do you do to reconfigure your kinect? Reconfigure it to what, exactly? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2014 12:11:30 PM PST
Hi: When I say "reconfigure," it's what the Kinect settings call "calibration." Basically it's the kinect learning what kind of space your room is, how big it is, and what's in it. There's no specific setting you have to calibrate it to; you just have to follow the directions so the camera learns about the space you're in. I calibrate my kinect every so often because it gets moved when it's dusted, or sometimes the furniture shifts, etc. You'll need the little calibration page (it looks like a cartoon pair of glasses--I got mine out of my Kinect Adventures game that came with the system when I bought it).
There are several ways to do calibrate your Kinect--I think there's even an option on the game--but if you're on the main xbox screen, you can go to Settings, then Kinect, then Kinect Tuner, then Calibration. And just follow the instructions from there.
Let me know if you have any more questions!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›