Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch - Fantastic Price - Looks Good and is Sturdy, February 4, 2014
This review is from: Casio Men's SGW100-1V Resin Compass Watch (Watch)
My son wanted a watch because all his friends had one - so this was more of an impulse purchase for him. At first I wasn't sure about buying on Amazon so we show roomed around town to look at this watch at retail outlets first to see if this is something he really liked and wanted and to ensure that it would not look too big or small on his wrist and that the enthusiasm for the watch was still there after a few trips. It was.

After trying the watch at a few retail outlets and seriously considering buying it offline we noted the price in most cases was between $25.00 and $45.00 more than online and though there were a few negative reviews we decided finally to buy it online.

I'm an Amazon Prime member and the watch came within 2-days just as it said it would. It was well packed in an outer box and the watch came in full retail packaging including the original manual. The first thing I did was to ensure it was a new watch and not something someone else had returned. I checked the screen, and back of the watch for scratches - none seen. Checked the band for any obvious usage like worn lettering and such - but of course, nothing of the sort. I was 100% satisfied that this was new and not a refurb/repack or anything else.

As with most watches you do need to read the instructions to set the date/time and other features of the watch. The manual is an easy read and setting up the various items like date/time, world clock, and compass were pretty easy.

The watch has come great features:

- Big, bold and easy to read display. Although my son has great eyesight it's always nice to have a watch where the numbers are easy to read. The date and day is slightly smaller but the main display shows the time is large and bold and just below that is the seconds.

- Stopwatch. My son started playing soccer and liked helping his coach, so the stopwatch was great so when they ran mini-races he would use the stopwatch to time the other kids. He also used the stopwatch to time himself doing his chores in the house!

- World time. Not sure why he liked this so much, but he liked the world time feature. Many of his cousins live in Africa, so his world time is set accordingly.

- Timer - again a feature that I didn't think was useful, but he liked it.

- Alarm - LOVE this feature on the watch! Previously we would have to wake him up, but he sets the alarm himself and actually wakes up to it.

- Compass - something that he won't use often but is a nice feature on the watch. Whenever we've gone out he'll set the compass to see if it matches what's shown in the car, to date I don't think it has ever been off. As you move it does tell you in great detail how many degrees you are as well (for example 33.4 degrees NNW).

The size of the watch was perfect for his wrist - I bought this a couple of years ago so he was around 8 at the time. Initially it looked a little big for him, but after some time it seemed to look OK. I suspect it was just not seeing a watch on him until that time. He was never a watch person as a toddler so never got him even those kids Mickey Mouse or superhero watches.

The watch edges come up over the face making it very difficult to scratch the face of the watch. I've noticed a few small, minor scratches on it but that's from banging it against something. They are definitely not visible. There are some scratches on the back as well, but again nobody looks at the back and the main reason for these scratches are because he leaves his watch in his drawer along with everything else in it.

I actually liked the strap on it, initially I thought that we would have to replace it but it has held up very well with no cracks on it at all. The strap is not cheap plastic but quite a strong rubbery texture to it. I also worried that he may be allergic to the strap but no issues at all. The only noticeable wear and tear is on the strap where some of the lettering has come off, but on the face of the watch none of the lettering has come off or faded.

He really hasn't tested the watch to the 200m depth but has gone swimming and in the hot tub with it on and hasn't had any problems.

He's taken the watch to school and several adults have commented on how sharp the watch looks.

The Casio SGW100-1V is a great watch for adult or child over 8-years of age. We are definitely very happy with the watch and would not hesitate to recommend this to any parent who wants a first watch for their child.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2014 1:11:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2014 1:12:38 PM PDT
It is now 6-months since I posted the original review (and 3-years since we bought it) and my son continues to wear this watch. Not as regularly as he used to and sometimes it sits in his desk drawer however the watch has held up very well and as it's slightly raised above the glass face, it does not get scratched. I continue to recommend this watch for an adult, or child.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2015 12:18:43 PM PST
snooker says:
Minor. I think you mean 334 degrees NNW (not 33.4). Are you sure he hasn't "really" tested the watch to 200m depth? That made me laugh the way you said it. :)
Nice review, I'm getting one. It's hard to find a compass watch that is not huge and has easy to read digits for my aging eyes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›