5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't plan on buying this lens but I am glad I did, October 21, 2006
This review is from: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras (Camera)
I went into a local camera store to look at the Nikon 12-24mm wide angle zoom to eventually augment the Nikon 50mm 1.8 and 18-200mm VR I currently use on my D200. After seeing the Sigma 10-20mm, taking test shots with it and the Nikon, and then printing the shots in the store, I walked out with the Sigma lens.

I had planned to buy the 12-24mm Nikon next Spring when my budget would allow the expenditure. I have had success with Nikon optics in the past - starting with my first Nikon FM back in the seventies. The Sigma's good construction, nice finish, smooth+fast+quiet focusing and 10mm focal length convinced me to try my first non-Nikon lens in 30 years. A big factor: The Sigma lens is less than half the price of the Nikon lens here is Canada. It fit my budget, so I took the plunge.

The Sigma fits into my "sharp enough" category. In real world shooting, its sharpness is on par with my 18-200mm Nikon. Both lens are less sharp than my $100 50mm 1.8 when "test" images are blown up to 16"x20" size. I never notice any lack of sharpness in "real" pictures. I care more about color saturation, contrast and color balance anyway. In this area, the Sigma does well. Saturation and contrast are equal to both my other Nikon lens - particularly at f8 and smaller aperatures. Wide open, I find some weakening in contrast. The Sigma has a warmer color termperature than my other lens. One click toward blue in Photoshop would fix this minor variance in color. But I use my 10-20mm almost exclusively for landscapes. The warmer color is generally a good thing.

I have noticed some vignetting @ 10mm f4. Zooming to 12mm or stopping down to f5.6 elminates any artifacts in pictures I have taken thus far. I have found it's more important to avoid "thick framed" filters - and stacking filters is a no no with this lens. They cause more darkening than a wide open f-stop. BTW: I added a 72 to 77mm step-up ring to my 18-200m VR Nikon to allow me to share filters between my zoom lens.

I do miss having a manual/autofocus switch on the Sigma lens. I have accidently nudged the manual focus ring a couple of times. With that said, the incredible depth of field of this lens (or any lens at this focal length) means small focusing errors can be tolerated :)

I recommend this lens - even to people like me, who never had a non-nikon lens before.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 13, 2008 8:19:08 PM PDT
Quick question: is this any use buying if you can just use the 18-200mm VR, take two or three snaps, and stitch them using professional software? That'll be sharp and get more smooshed in than any superwide angle lens?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2009 5:34:04 AM PDT
I believe this was answered in the fellow's original review, yes, the depth of field is different. Also, on the wide end of things, a few mm can make a big difference. Stitching is never the answer unless you are doing a creative 360 degree view of something.

Posted on Jun 21, 2009 2:32:27 PM PDT
David Cox says:
Thank you for mentioning the thin filters, and non stacking issues in your review? Very helpful. This will probably be my next lens.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 11:20:18 PM PST
T. Lee says:

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 8:43:49 PM PST
Songhai says:
I received my copy of this Sigma lens and mine has a Manual/Autofocus switch.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2014 8:02:27 PM PST
Baku says:
Songhai, you received a different lens. Its a faster version that has a manual.auto AF switch.

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 8:03:21 PM PST
Baku says:
thank you for your review. I think comparing sharpness of this lens with 50mm prime is incorrect :)

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 12:00:37 PM PST
cairot says:
Sorry for the silly question but does it has image stabilizer?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 12:02:27 PM PST
Baku says:
No it doesnt. You probably dont need that because at this focal lenghth you will be shooting ladnscapes on a tripod mostly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›