5.0 out of 5 stars Better then my Canon 5d Mark II, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Pentax K-5 IIs 16.3 MP DSLR Body Only (Black) (Electronics)
I moved from Canon to Pentax About a year ago when I saw just about every piece of Cannon gear increase in cost by $1000. I was a 5d Mark II user,and could not fault the resolution and sharpness of the Camera, But It could not focus as was a the Rebel Series Cameras. I Had grown tired of Canon's Marketing strategies, So I sold all my lenses For more then I had purchased them for (Thank you Canon inflation). I also sold my 5d Mk II for a Very good used rate. I purchased the original Pentax K5, and very much liked a lot of things about the system.
Better focusing, better metering, Much better color rendering. Canon always pushed the primary colors, and even the neutral setting has a Greenish hue. Pentax has a much better color representation, there are more hues, and rolling tones, also the shadows look much better. But the K5 was not as sharp as the Canon 5d MKII. Not the end of the world but still...

Enter the K5 IIs This is a very different Camera entirely. It looks, and feels like a K5, But under the hood it is a detail Deva. Now I have the best of both systems. It's every bit as clear and detailed as the Canon Full Frames. Focus the eyes and you will see the depth and little details. Hairs are crisp. There is no need to sharpen the images in post like you might have done before. I shoot Raw plus Jpeg, but very rarely use the raw files.

My settings

(Highlight correction) on
(Shadow Correction) on
(Expanded Sensitivity) on
(Camera setting) Natural or BW

There are three different Sharpening algorithms on this camera. Sharpen, Fine, and Extra (AKA Extra Fine.
They are like selecting finer Radius amounts with higher amounts of output. I currently have mine set to Extra fine @ -2
This sharpens down to the sub details without causing edgy halos.

I adore this camera with the Sigma 85 1.4. At 3.5 Subjects are razor sharp with creamy butter filled backgrounds.
So I am ecstatic about the images this camera body Produces. Do I miss shooting Full frame? Not really. I know in theory it should be a better image on a 35mm sensor. Bigger photocells,Better DOF, Blah,Blah, Blah. Here is my scientific Opinion. The movie industry uses The Red Epic Camera. It's sensor is 27.7 by 14.6 mm 5120 x 2700 pixel, 13.8 megapixel Bayer pattern 14 bit CMOS sensor. This would not seem very impressive in the still camera world, but I believe it proves a point that there is a lot more to consider for image quality then bigger sensors with more pixels. Sensors that produce the least amount of heat with on board Converters Can offer some of the best results. Then there is file handling,compression formats, and lots of other things we like to pretend to understand. The point is there are lots of things happening when you pull the shutter release, and when you compare the final product you should like what you are looking at. The Pentax K5 IIs looks like real life with a bit more punch, and I love it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2014 4:13:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2014 4:14:37 PM PST
You said [but I believe it proves a point that there is a lot more to consider for image quality then bigger sensors with more pixels]...........

EXACTLY......EXACTLY.......EXACTLY!!! Well said. Most people just don't get it though. It is all about the final product. And I don't care if it is 12, 16, or 24 Megapixels. In fact, I am disappointed the new Pentax K3 sacrificed some image quality just to put 24MP on the sensor....what's the point???

Those who think 24MP will allow them to print bigger pics than 16MP are also deceived. Any competent photographer knows how to make a poster from a 12MP camera vs a 24MP camera by choosing a few options in their editing program to scale properly to a given photo size. And the resulting image will look as good as you need providing you have a CLEAN image and used the most important tool of all....A GREAT LENS.

Yada, yada, yada, I can go on all day, but really, you said it already.

Oh, and Welcome to the world of Pentax....beats the fire out of anything Canon makes with exception to their Full Frame cameras!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2014 8:24:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2014 8:25:50 PM PST
Harry Joseph says:
I'm also a Canon user that is seriously thinking about switching over to Pentax. The #1 reason is that I recently moved to Minnesota where the weather is extreme to say the least. I have always had my eye on the Pentax K cameras though, due to the abundant features the offer, pound for pound. Great post ! this might motivate me even more to switch over. I had my doubts because most posts about the Pentax cameras are put up by Pentax fanatics with chips on their shoulders, but coming from a former Canon user this helps.

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 8:40:41 PM PDT
Aside from sharpness, what else do you like about the K5 11s? I have the plain old K5 which I like very much, as well as the K 30, and Kr. What I like most about Pentax cameras is the in-camera post image procesing that Canon and Nikon just don't (to that degree) have. I don't use photo shop. Just what I can produce in-camera. I love using and have become proficient at using the digital filters.

My dilemma is; should I buy the K 3 or buy the K 11s at a reduced price?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2014 11:47:32 AM PDT
I have a K-5 II as well. Got it after years of Pentax K10D use. I was not aware however of the highlight and shadow correction parameters or the sharpening algorithms in the camera. I just never delved that deep into the menu. I was aware of the Bright, Natural, Portrait etc. settings but never took it beyond that. I realize this is an advanced camera and I would eventually get more into it as time went on, so it's nice to know there are more features to test and work with. Thanks for the review. It's one of the best DSLR cameras for the money in the market in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2014 5:08:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2014 5:09:24 AM PDT
Blue Diver says:
I am also a K10 user that just picked up this camera for $377 new on Amazon. I've been looking at this upgrade for a year now and pulled the trigger this morning when my price alert came in (camelcamelcamel.com). Can't wait for it now. I've used k5 before and loved it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2014 8:40:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2014 8:43:33 AM PDT
Harry Joseph says:
Must have been some unusual type of sale. make sure it's not grey-market that might void the warranty. Mine cost me $699 Brand new on Amazon. In any case you are going to love this camera. I don't have a Canon 5D II like Cody, but this beats my 5D mark I and my 7D. The resolution is amazing almost like watching HDTV 4K !

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2014 8:45:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2014 3:26:00 PM PDT
Blue Diver says:
There was only one in stock at 6am and I jumped right on it. It's back up to $670 after my purchase. I will update once delivered.
Update: after 7 hrs, Portable Guy (seller) has canceled my order saying it's not in stock. Obviously did not want to honor the sale and preferred to lie.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2015 3:54:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2015 3:54:41 PM PST
Paul D. Bui says:
Shame! I bought mine for $496 two weeks ago and it's $596 or higher now. Crazy market!

Posted on Jan 26, 2015 4:38:46 PM PST
Paul D. Bui says:
Thanks Cody for the good tip on sharpening algorithms.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.9 out of 5 stars (76 customer reviews)

$999.95 $649.95