Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons, July 21, 2012
This review is from: PBL Studio Photography Video Light Kit Continuous Lighting Kit Video Lighting EZ 24"x 24" Softbox Photographic Lighting (Electronics)
Pros:
-Carrying Bags: For people who want to be able to travel with their equipment, the bags included are very helpful. The bags are cheap so I have another bigger bag that I put my equipment in, but having bags is better than not having bags.
-Sturdy Stands: I have had a stand EXACTLY the same as these for 4 years now and it still works just fine. After awhile the oddly sized nuts that hold the legs to the vertical pole will wiggle off, so watch those, but they still have yet to fall apart (even without one of those bolts). The stands are also flat black so they look more professional and they don't reflect light.
-Nice Light Color: These lights do give off light between 5000k and 5500k. This is essentially daylight, which allows all colors on the spectrum to come out evenly and naturally! They really look good.
-Super Easy Set-Up: These are super easy to just push open and velcro the diffusion on. I can easily set it both lights in under 4 or 5 minutes, that's important since I will be travelling with these lights!

Cons:
-Softbox Construction: The softboxes aren't quite as taut as the bigger PBL VL-1000 softboxes when opened, as I had expected. When they are taut the diffusion fits on nicer and they just look more professional, but this could also be a good thing because if they fall, there will be some give in the material (which is thicker than other softboxes I've used that are more expensive) which should help prevent them from ripping.
-Bulbs: Although the bulbs are a warm (daylight color, meaning whiter than halogen) and they don't heat up when used (unlike halogen and other lights), which is a HUGE plus, they're tough to manage and transport since you have to take them out and put them in every time and may have to carry them in their boxes to keep them safe (which is more bulk to lug around).
-No "On" "Off" labels: REALLY?? Was it that hard to get switches that had "On" and "Off" printed on them? My lights (and I would assume all of them) didn't have any indicator of when the lights are off or on. I bet it wouldn't be hard to see which way they are pushed in relation to the cord to know when they're off and on, but it's fairly inconvenient and means that I will have to make sure they're not plugged in before I get the lights in. What a strange issue to have with lights...
-Softbox Swivel Head: There is a knob you loosen and then you can adjust the angle of where the softboxes point. When you adjust the angle though there's this nasty cranking noise and I feel like I am breaking something (Even though it seems like that's how they normally function). I'm not a huge fan.
Stand Quality: See "Sturdy Stands" above for some negatives involved in these stands even though they seem to hold together against all odds!
-Light Brightness: Don't expect to be using these as your key light. Although the light is a beautiful white (you can buy filters apparently to make them indoor light balanced) it isn't that bright. For a youtube video I did I used just these two lights on me and the color was a little dim. I could have opened up my aperture a bit more but like being closer to my aperture "sweet spot". That being said, if you have a lens that will do f1.8 you may be able to get away with these as decent stand alone lights. For those who require more watts, using these as fill and background lights and investing in something with a stronger beam would be the way to go (That's what I do. I use my PBL VL-1000 which will do 1,000 watts as my key light. Keep in mind the color temperature is different, but that doesn't bother me, like I said, you can always buy diffusion gels, etc.)

I hope that helps. For more in-depth video reviews you can go to my youtube channel by searching in the search box: the video maverick joshua hall.
Best of Luck out there!